Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cycling Destinations

DW and I have enjoyed cycling for many years, and while we don't race competitively much anymore, we do still try to seek destinations that have roads & trails that will accommodate a good day of riding. So I thought I would offer up a couple destinations as a starter and will add as appropriate, and solicit thoughts & ideas for future visits.

Glen Rose TX Oakdale Park
, is a decent public park with RV spots that we go to from time to time to ride & train. There are a fair number of cyclists on weekends as there are a couple of rallys and a national long distance time trial that takes place here.

Wichita Falls TX. Hotter-n-Hell Hundred, held at the end of August each year. Will be over 10,000 cyclists with routes from 25 up to 100 miles on very flat terrain. We like Coyote Ranch RV park for this one.

Breckenridge CO Can't beat being able to ride from Breckenridge through Frisco and Copper Mtn. to Vail, all on a paved bike trail. There are also trails up to Keystone. Great way to spend a day. We love Tiger Run RV park. It can be a little high on cost, but heck, you've got some of the best views in the Nation at this place.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for the memories! We used to travel from the DFW area to Tiger Run so much in the 80's that our kids still consider it their second home. We finally decided it was cheaper to just move to Colorado.

We bought a cannondale tandem mountain bike just for riding the trails in the Breck area. Nothing like passing all of the younger riders going uphill! We live about an hour from there now, and still make several trips a year just for the bike trails. You are right, some of the best views around. And some of the best bike trails, too. Boreas Pass is one of our favorite dirt roads to bike along, especially during the fall when the aspen trees change color. It goes from Breck to Como along the old Breck Pass.

If you have not been thru Salida on hwy 50 recently, they are installing bike trails as we speak. There is a lot of talk concerning connecting Salida to Buena Vista with a trail along the old railroad tracks, too. There is a great bike trail that follows the Arkansas river thru Buena Vista, too.

Great thread. Cannot wait to read what others list, too.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Great thread! We started RV'ing so we could take the bikes and explore while competing in stage races around the country.

Sedona, AZ
- Lots of bike lanes, lower traffic roads in the area and 100's of miles on mountain bike trails. A new MTB skills park is being developed currently. Good camping in the area, including campgrounds and boondocking.

Sonoma County, CA - Great low-traffic roads to ride in the area, lots of routes and a lot of cyclists. We spent a couple of weeks here biking and exploring. We enjoyed the area around Santa Rosa and the Russian River.

Bend, OR - Lots of great outdoor options for road and mountain biking. Great place for the family, lots of outdoor activities and a wonderful town. Only a few commercial campgrounds but plenty of state or national parks to stay in. Site of the Cascade Classic stage race.

Salt Lake City, UT - The area around SLC is great for biking. Mountains to the east side with a good deal of flat land on the west. Interesting history of the area and beautiful landscape.

Durango, CO - This is a smaller area but has some great road and mountain biking. Many places to camp including commercial and parks. Also fun for off-roading adventures. The high altitude makes it a great place for training and visiting in the summer. Rumors are they get a lot of snow in the winter, but I'll never know! They also have the annual Iron Horse Bicycle Classic along with many other organized rides.

I'll post more as I think of them!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a link to biking in Colorado. It was updated in January.

We have taken our bikes to all of the state parks in Colorado (42) except for Cheyenne Mountain SP. We will catch up with it this year.

6 Ways Colorado Biking is Best | Colorado.com

Bruce
Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Nice, I'll have to check out some of those CO rides next time I'm up there. Salida also was a good place to ride. I was up there for the Salida Classic a couple of years ago but had to leave early due to personal reasons :-( Hopefully I'll get up there again, maybe next year.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cycling Destinations

Salida
to Buena Vista would be great. Perhaps ride it Buena Vista In the morning, do a float trip in the afternoon, then ride back afterwards. What a great day that would be
Old 04-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Salida
to Buena Vista would be great. Perhaps ride it Buena Vista In the morning, do a float trip in the afternoon, then ride back afterwards. What a great day that would be
Browns Canyon was recently named a Nat'l Monument, lots of planning going on already. There was another meeting concerning the railroad tracks and bike trail last night, we are waiting patiently. . .

Bruce
Old 04-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Tuscon AZ, Tuscon Mountain State Park. Good road bike & mountain bike trails. We stayed at Justin Diamonds RV Park last winter, 2014, I had knee surgery then did recovery on the mountain bike. Trails lead right out of the RV park into the state park & adjoins the Saguaro Nat Park West.

Withlacoochee State Trail FL , 46 miles one way near Inverness on the northern end & Zepherhills on the southern end. Rails to trails paved trail.

I enjoyed riding in the Abingdon to Bel Air & up to the Susquehanna State Park. Just north of Baltimore MD.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

My experience, and I'm new to the cycling world, and not of the variety that is willing to force motorists to (I hope) share the road, is that with a bit of research I find great cycling areas in most places I wander in to that fit my criteria. Currently we are visiting family in Redding, California. There is a spectacular trail system that runs along the Sacramento River from Redding to Shasta Dam. Roughly 40 miles round trip. The city itself has a ton of other trails. From our RV park, I can safely and easily bike to a gravel bike trail system (Churn Creek) where my first morning out I surprised a big buck with a beautiful rack. (Currently cattle are grazing the area for fire suppression, so I will avoid it.) Recently we were in the Marin County near the Golden Gate in SF. Bike routes in spades, but most required way too much in close proximity to cars for me. In the Sacramento area great trails are also along the river there. The Bay Shore Bikeway around San Diego, although not complete, is great. But my very best to date was the one through the swamp of Gulf Shores State Park in coastal Alabama.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote