Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
We were there in August 2011 and stayed at Pelican Nest RV Park 1510 Bienville Blvd. Dauphin Island, AL 36528. It is a new park and had no shade but we had a great campsite and a short walk across the street to the beach. They have a new pool and a nice laundry room. The owners were very friendly and we enjoyed our stay there so much that we extended to stay there longer. We would stay there if we get to go back.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking around there are few places where we can go with out Springer and therefore were drawn to this campground. We discussed it and since we don't plan on being in the campground itself all that often, we feel it's the best place or us and our dog. We'll let you know how we make out.

Thank you all for your insight.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer
Looking around there are few places where we can go with out Springer and therefore were drawn to this campground. We discussed it and since we don't plan on being in the campground itself all that often, we feel it's the best place or us and our dog. We'll let you know how we make out.

Thank you all for your insight.
We thought it was very pooch friendly and that's one of the things we liked about it. Took a sunset walk each evening right on the beach w doggie. We loved biking and walking around the whole area too. I think if you go with the view that the campground will be so-so, but the location and area is great i think you'll enjoy it. I do hope so!!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have a great web site! I enjoyed your review and photos. Hopefully we'll have a great time and be able to post our own positive review.

Thanks for taking the time to put together your review.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
We grew up in Mobile and never went to DI water and sand is dirty. On the gulf side you have a good view of the oil platforms. Stay in Gulf Shores or Pensacola.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We thought it was very pooch friendly and that's one of the things we liked about it. Took a sunset walk each evening right on the beach w doggie. We loved biking and walking around the whole area too. I think if you go with the view that the campground will be so-so, but the location and area is great i think you'll enjoy it. I do hope so!!
Well... Dauphin Island turned out to be a fantastic destination. there's a great stretch of beach with no one on it! A bird sanctuary with a great host of hiking trails. There are very few people here so we were walking leash-less all around the place. The campground is great with lots of room and friendly people all over the park. This is going to be a great week.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Different things appeal to different people. This place is just great for us and the Springer. He needs to run and after getting here at 10:00 this morning we've been out walking all over the east end of the island.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer

Well... Dauphin Island turned out to be a fantastic destination. there's a great stretch of beach with no one on it! A bird sanctuary with a great host of hiking trails. There are very few people here so we were walking leash-less all around the place. The campground is great with lots of room and friendly people all over the park. This is going to be a great week.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Different things appeal to different people. This place is just great for us and the Springer. He needs to run and after getting here at 10:00 this morning we've been out walking all over the east end of the island.
Sooooo very happy you like it!! We felt exactly the same way when we were there. Not many spots on that coast are so pooch friendly and that was a huge draw for us. We totally lived that beach with Polly. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Another place I really enjoyed there was the Estuarium at the Dauphin Island Sea lab. We took the ferry over to Orange Beach and went on one of the dolphin tours and enjoyed that too. Great area!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #23

Dauphin Island

How was your trip, I am thinking of late January for a southern get away.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry for not getting my thought out sooner. I did post a review on rvparkreviews.

We had a great time. The weather couldn't have been better while we were there so we feel extremely fortunate at that. Our first trip there was to Gulf Shores two years ago and it was very cold, rainy, and windy for our stay

After reading some of the reviews I was apprehensive about our destination but after getting there my fears were put to rest. The site they assigned us was next to one we thought we would like better so they let us move. We stayed in site #29 with our 37' MH and had plenty of room to set up the deck which adds another 10 feet to it.

The place was quiet, clean, and spacious. The guests and staff were very friendly, Our Springer loved all of the hiking trails and the beach surrounding that part of the island. I need a vacation to rest from my vacation with him as we spent a lot of time walking. This was a very dog friendly destination.

We visited fort Gaines and the Estuarium at the Sea Lab which were very interesting. We rode the ferry to Gulf Shores twice with the motorcycle to ride over into Pensacola and the surrounding area. We rode north into Mobile and out to Battleship Park and again had a great time.

The weather is the one factor that can make or break a trip there as a winter destination. Two years ago, not so good, this trip, fantastic!

My wife claims that between the campground, the surrounding area, coupled with the great weather that this was at the top of her list of best RV vacations ever.

We will most definitely be heading back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0371.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	16848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0367.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	16849  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0369.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	16850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2703.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	16851  

Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Glad you had a great time! I was also awaiting your review as DW and I are looking for a southern destination for next New Years. Looks like we might have found it!
TheRVManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I are headed back here this Christmas so I thought I'd revive this thread in case anyone is considering a southern get away for the holidays.

We now have to dogs with the addition of Molly the Pointer. The private beach is absolutely awesome for our very early morning hikes. We are really excited and looking foreword to going back
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #27

This post was from 2011!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm aware, I started it. Do you have anything to add?