Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Dauphin Island beach, goin west

I am on Dauphin Island until Tuesday Sept 26 morning and then heading west towards home and central Texas. In no hurry. 30' MH pulling car. Me and the dog. We like to bike, hike, and walk the beach. Suggestions on where to stay going towards New Orleans? Will stay off I10 where possible. Thinking first stop will be Biloxi, MS. Like to stay 2 or 3 nights when I can. Shorter or longer, depending on what I like.

Hoping for ideas and suggestions please.

ronspradley and Emmett the WanderDog.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #2

There really are not any accessible "beaches" anywhere in Louisiana, excluding a few that are at the ends of very out of the way secondary highways..

Old 09-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #3

In Mississippi near the Louisiana line, no experience with it but looks pretty good.

https://www.mdwfp.com/parks-destinat...rks/buccaneer/

Very short drive off of US90 at Waveland, MS

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

Buccaneer SP near Waveland Miss. is nice. DO NOT approach on Clearmont Rd, you'll bottom out on the RR crossing. Go on west to Lakeshore Rd.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Looking at Buccaneer SP. Thanks for that info.

I will be coming from east on 90 and was going to use Nicholson Ave to cross tracks. Is that OK?

ronspradley
Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I booked 5 nites at Buccaneer SP. Still need to know if Nicholson Ave is OK to cross tracks. Thanks for the help.

ronspradley
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

No idea about Nicholson.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I am on Dauphin Island until Tuesday Sept 26 morning and then heading west towards home and central Texas. In no hurry. 30' MH pulling car. Me and the dog. We like to bike, hike, and walk the beach. Suggestions on where to stay going towards New Orleans? Will stay off I10 where possible. Thinking first stop will be Biloxi, MS. Like to stay 2 or 3 nights when I can. Shorter or longer, depending on what I like.

Hoping for ideas and suggestions please.

ronspradley and Emmett the WanderDog.
Take Highway 90 from Mobile to Biloxi. Nice scenic drive.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

Don't know if you are there yet, but using Google street view, all of the crossings are quite humped up and all have scrapes in the pavement where vehicles have been dragging. Most drop off rather steep on the south side of the tracks. Clairmont, Waveland, Webb, Nicholson all look rather bad.

After crossing the bridge to Bay St Louis, take the first left on N Beach and cross the tracks at the Municipal Harbor, follow S Beach all the way to Waveland and at the Veterans Memorial on the left, turn right on Coleman, then when you get to the tracks turn left before them on Central, then at the Waveland st crossing make a slight left onto Sears and go four blocks and go right on South st and it will take you to the park.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank you Charles for the directions. I made it to the park around 4pm, made it OK.. I crossed on Waveland and had no trouble. Thanks again.

ronspradley

Old 09-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

Ron, Looking forward to a few comments about the park (a full review is not needed however). Especially about showers and restrooms. I use the MH shower but have begun trying to use campground showers and restrooms, esp if they are decent.

Thought if I ever traveled that way, that Buccaneer might be a good stop.

After just now looking at the park web site again I see that S Beach Blvd is the proper entry point.

Charles
Old 09-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Good morning all. Charles, I looked at the bathrooms here at Buccaneer this morning on the first dog walk of the day. Very nice, Large, clean, tiled, vented, air conditioned. I would be willing to use the showers there. The park is a class act state park. Very large and open sites. Interior roads paved as well as sites. Many sites are level and some slope down towards street. I was able to level my 30' MH by backing up all the way to the rear and did not have to use blocks. I am in site 77 with morning and afternoon shade. Most sites have no shade. I would be able to use satellite at my site, If I were equipped with satellite. Beach is pet friendly.

Coming from Atlanta going west I can recommend Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores AL. Another very large, open state park. Great place for cruising on a bicycle. Good beach but pets not allowed.

Also would recommend Dauphin Island. I stayed at Dauphin Island Park, right at end of road and first right turn after Mobile Bay Ferry. This park is very shaded and sites are all on level ground, not pavement. Walk to the beach. Beach is pet friendly. New showers and laundry opened while I was there last week. Dauphin Island is very laid back, almost no retail on island. Handful of places to eat. Two places for fuel. One small grocery/hardware store.

Hope this helps Charles. Happy trails.

ronspradley, driver for Emmett the WanderDog

Old 09-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #13

Thanks for the comments, those parks are now on the short list. I spend a lot of time on Google Maps, using satellite and street view. Many campgrounds, especially federal ones, now have street view all the way thru the loops. Makes picking sites easier. I do like remote places like Dauphin Island. I have stayed at Ft Pickens Nat Seashore a couple of times, and it is remote in that its a long drive thru the park to the campground, but easy to get back out to civilization.

Did you take the ferry across from Ft. Morgan to Dauphin Is, or go around?

My next trip will probably be an out and back to Mobile to the battleship Alabama, staying at Meaher State Park off of US98 on an island in Mobile Bay.

Meaher State Park | Alapark

I do want to make a trip to the Texas coast however, I was born in Port Arthur and we moved to GA when I was six years old. haven't been back since.

Charles
Old 09-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Meaher SP looks like a park I would like. And right next to Mobile so I could take in the sights there from the park.

The Mobile Bay Ferry is not able to take vehicles as large as my MH. And my MH is 30', pulling a car.

Happy trails.

ron, driving for Emmett the WanderDog