Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Daytona 500

Leaving Tuesday morning for Daytona International Speedway for the Daytona 500. We will be camping at the GEICO Park West. Its not the infield but we are still excited for our first Daytona 500. We have tickets for races on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We will be heading home on Monday. Any friendly advice or comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

I'm jealous!! Been to Talladega twice and had a blast. Brother has been to 500 and says it was a treat. If you've never been to a major Nascar track and race it is a lot of people. And yes a lot of rv's. Enjoy!!

Old 02-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have been to the 500 three times.
Rent the headphones! They let you listen to any driver, any time you want.
The truck race is always the best.
Have a blast, 4 days at Daytona is almost like a job.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgel2584 View Post
Leaving Tuesday morning for Daytona International Speedway for the Daytona 500. We will be camping at the GEICO Park West. Its not the infield but we are still excited for our first Daytona 500. We have tickets for races on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We will be heading home on Monday. Any friendly advice or comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
We live 5 mins from the track and want to say the place is loaded!!! Looks to be the most RV's we have seen in a long tine!!! You will have a great time!! The W started talking about planting the Coach there for the week just to party.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you want a comfortable grandstand experience, bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, hearing protection, a seat cushion (the stands are very hard), windbreaker, lightweight rain gear (in FL, afternoon rain is a given almost daily), pocket pack of tissues (the bathrooms run out of Kleenex very quickly ), and wear comfy shoes (this track is bigger than you imagine--you will be walking a lot). If you want to try for autographs, bring some pens.

The year we went, Friday and Saturday were sunny and hot. Sunday a cold front went through. Temps dropped like a rock and it rained. But we were prepared for it all, so no problem.

BTW, track vendors sell souvenir inflatable seat cushions and such. Large green lawn and leaf bags make lightweight emergency rain gear. So you don't have to lug a lot of stuff to be ready for whatever.

You will have so much fun! I was sad not to be going this year because it was Tony's last chance at the win that kept eluding him. But with his back injury, now it will forever be The One That Got Away. Just glad he is still able to walk...
Old 02-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
If you want a comfortable grandstand experience, bring...pocket pack of tissues (the bathrooms run out of Kleenex very quickly)..
I meant toilet paper...
Old 02-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The Fanzone wristbands are worth it! I think they are around $150/each. You can go on top of the garages (and look down at all the action), or can go to the rear of each garage stall and look right in through a large window.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
DJJ

Enjoy the experience. I need to get back and see what $400 million in improvements looks like.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just heard this morning the 500 is sold out, only viewing open is the infield.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #10

There is an Open House today from 4pm to 7pm. I plan on driving over also to see what 400 million dollars of improvement looks like.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
There is an Open House today from 4pm to 7pm. I plan on driving over also to see what 400 million dollars of improvement looks like.
Please share your observations and thoughts about the changes!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:01 AM   #12

Sorry to disappoint but I did not make it to the open house. I had a physical therapy session just before the event and afterwards all I wanted to do was go home and crawl into bed. God those people are sadist. I live just one town away in Ormond Beach so when I do see the improvements I will report back.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 AM   #13

I have to give credit to NASCAR for their care and constant updates to all their facilities. Haven't been to a track yet I haven't liked.
We go to Watkins Glen every year and have for the last 15+ years. The pace is kept spotless, law enforcement is ever present and the camping areas are really nice.
Right after the Sprint Cup race last year track crews started tearing up the old track surface and the whole track has a new surface.
We camp just a short walk from the track at turn 11. Nice to be able to come and go watching the action when we want and wandering back and forth to the RV.
No complaints here. We will keep going back as long as we can.
Lynn
Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
So, Mgel2584, how was your first Daytona experience? That was certainly a breathtaking finish!