Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Death Valley

We're looking at a trip to Death Valley mid March to mid April. Never been there. Those of you who have been there - any advice, recommendations, dos/don't, what to see, where to camp, etc.? We prefer boondocking but we do camp grounds when necessary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

Going there in Feb for our first time in Death Valley and staying at Furance Creek and they now have about 20 full hook up spaces. April could be very warm so might plan on FHU just to run the air some. There are not very many campgeounds to pick from. Average high in April is 89

Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
We're looking at a trip to Death Valley mid March to mid April. Never been there. Those of you who have been there - any advice, recommendations, dos/don't, what to see, where to camp, etc.? We prefer boondocking but we do camp grounds when necessary.
We were there last February and going back this February. We stayed at Furnace Creek with FHU. They had 6 or 8 spots they rent out by the night at the lodge. There are 3 or 4 restaurants there. I read someplace that they have added 30 more FHU sites there someplace.

Many things to see. Scottie's Castle is well worth the 60 mile trip from furnace creek. We are going to rent a jeep this year and go to the Racetrack where the sliding rocks are.

Russell
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
I answered this earlier but we just left Death Valley yesterday.

They now have 36 spots Furnace Creek Ranch all FHU sites. I think 35 per night. We stayed there 5 nights and never had reservations. But Saturday night was booked up. I think they had some kind of marathon race on Sat & Sun.

Things that we saw--Scotty's castle (last year). Cool--Titus canyon. 26 mile canyon drive. Unbelievable beautiful. Need 4 x 4. (Can rent one at Furnace Creek). --the race track. That's where the sliding rocks are. 26 mile off blacktop. We thought this is amazing For sure need high clearance vehicle.

So we are at Grand Canyon now. Watch Super Bowl today. Walk to bottom of canyon tomorrow. Back up on Tuesday. (Hopefully. Lol)

Russell
Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I know this is an old topic, but I'm looking for a place to stay at DVNP in early April. All the FHU's at Furnace Creek are booked solid until the end of reservation period. I started looking about 2 months ago. I don't mind dry camping but usually do it to get to more pristine areas, not a parking lot. Has anybody stayed at Sunset? I know it is a parking lot but is it adequate, and does it have enough space to do some outdoor cooking and enjoy the sunsets? What about Panamint Springs or Mesquite Springs? Texas Springs Campground looks nicer but NO GENERATOR USAGE ALLOWED.

BTW, ChallengerRN how did the hike into Grand Canyon work out for you?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

Theres the dry camp behind the gas station and its better than across the road from FC. I would call them, we have done this a few times even though it said they were booked and was able to get in. The national park camground is first come first served after April 16th and we have got in there as well by walking up and asking.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #7

The one behind the gas station is called Fiddlers and you can run your generator there.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a heads-up. Scotty's Castle is closed until 2019 due to flooding last year.''

OP, what is your preferred route to and through DVNP?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

Here's the park's web site with lots of good information.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Note some of the campground closing times.

We've stayed at Stovepipe Wells - dry camping during the 49ers celebration in November but there's a row of electric sites by a concessioner in case it gets too hot for you. Stovepipe is just a big open area with sites.

We've also stayed at Mesquite a couple times which is very scenic. It takes maybe 30 minutes on pavement to drive from there to the Furnace Creek/Sunset area. It's by Scotty's Castle which will be closed for a long time.

Sunset is also a big open area. We stayed there in May one year - no electric - and it didn't get below 100 deg. all night long - didn't sleep; instead sat outside. We left the next day!

All the campgrounds have plenty of room for cooking outside, especially in April.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #10

We stayed at Mesquite Springs several years ago in April - it was wonderful! Stars, stars, stars!!! Didn't need A/C. BUT...not sure that CG has reopened yet - it also suffered damage from the same flooding that closed Scotties Castle. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I know this is an old topic, but I'm looking for a place to stay at DVNP in early April. All the FHU's at Furnace Creek are booked solid until the end of reservation period. I started looking about 2 months ago. I don't mind dry camping but usually do it to get to more pristine areas, not a parking lot. Has anybody stayed at Sunset? I know it is a parking lot but is it adequate, and does it have enough space to do some outdoor cooking and enjoy the sunsets? What about Panamint Springs or Mesquite Springs? Texas Springs Campground looks nicer but NO GENERATOR USAGE ALLOWED.
Sunset is fine but there are no fires allowed, not even charcoal. They do left you use propane appliances, both grills and fire pits though. The sites are wide enough for your awning to not be rubbing your neighbor's slide, so they are big enough to cook in IMHO. I also agree to be careful,about the heat. The area does cool down at night, but you will almost surely need to run a fan at night in April. I found Panamint Springs pretty ugly, but I haven't camped at Mesquite Springs. Texas Springs is a lovely campground, but the no generators put it off our list too, even in winter.

There is so much to do in Death Valley, and it is so huge that you probably won't be at your campsite a lot. DVNP is bigger than Yellowstone!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you tried Panamint Springs Resort? They have full hook up sites as well as dry camping with access to water and restrooms. It is on the west side of DV but it is privately owned. Dogs are allowed. We stay there often.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
We stayed at Mesquite Springs several years ago in April - it was wonderful! Stars, stars, stars!!! Didn't need A/C. BUT...not sure that CG has reopened yet - it also suffered damage from the same flooding that closed Scotties Castle. ST
The campground was only closed for evacuation due to the Scotty's Castle area flooding. It wasn't damaged and according to the park's web site it is, indeed, open - year-round. It's at 1600' EL.

We found it's always helpful to read the national park's web site. For instance, there are some roads closed getting into Death Valley and these are explained on the web site along with campground information.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the help everyone. We are departing tomorrow. I have a boat race in Phoenix next weekend, then off to DVNP. We will probably head straight to Furnace Creek and park at Sunset. The next day we will drive the toad around and find something that suits us best.

After DVNP, we are going to check out the Lone Pine area.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote