Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Death Valley Trip Report

We loaded up the Outlaw and headed out to Death Valley March 18th to the 22nd. Of course it is never enough time but we did have a blast in the short time we were able to explore. My wife and brother were the other victims of the fun.

Here is the coach loaded and ready.

Heading into the valley:

We landed at Panamint Springs Resort. It is a nice side of the valley to be stationed for the type of areas we wanted to explore.
Camp is all set up and my brother is smiling:

Just a few miles from the resort is their water supply. It is truly an oasis in the desert and really something to see. As you hike towards the falls it isn't the overall desert land that changes much but more the prolific plant life and moisture you start to see appear in the desert soil. It evolves into trees and lush growth very quickly as you get close.
Hard to believe this is in the middle of the desert! Darwin Falls is worth the walk:

After the Darwin Falls we got back on the bikes and took a somewhat difficult ride to the actual town of Darwin. There was a hill to climb with lots of loose rock and then soft sand to toss us around. Arriving at the town of Darwin is something to see, people have really adapted to the harsh desert and seem to enjoy it. There were ex-pats from France, artists, retired ranchers and some other interesting folks living here that were very enjoyable to talk to.
Here is Jessica waiting for the postmaster:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am sure you have seen this photo 100 times but we had to do it:

My wife makes an excellent sherpa:

On the way to Hunter Mountain:

55 degrees up here and 85 degrees down there:

A perfect road!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Down in the heat now but having a blast:

A little lunch break:

The family stopping for a spot of tea:

My first time at The Racetrack, just amazing!

Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now for the real challenge, Lippincott Pass:

Jess is making her way down:

Looks easy enough, HAH!

Another view of where our path leads:

I guess her bike needed a rest:

It is getting late so we hightail it out of the Saline Valley and head back to camp:
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #5

Looks awesome, Scott. DV is on my bucket list. The previous reviews of DV I had seen showed only paved roads for campers, so I was glad to see a lot of dirt/OHV roads in your report. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Oh snap! I'd much rather have gone with you than do the trip I'm doing now! Although everything is fixed and working on my rig now, so there's that...

Let us know next time, that looks like a blast!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think we should do an Outlaw roundup in Death Valley next March. What do you think?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #8

I'm tentatively in. We'll have a 5-month-old in tow though if that's OK. Unfortunately he won't be able to ride yet. Or walk. Or talk. Or do much of anything except the three things that babies do...
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Very nice trip report and your corral is impressive. DV is on our to do list too.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool trip and pics, focker. About 12 years ago my wife & I took a few days and did a road trip to Kernville and places around (in a pickup). Somewhere along highway 190 on the way home a few dirt bikes crossed the road ahead of us. I wondered how the heck did they get up here.....question answered.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
I think we should do an Outlaw roundup in Death Valley next March. What do you think?
An Outlaw Roundup , I like the sound of that.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #12

I KNEW DD would be up for this. I could be possibly tentatively in also. Like TnT, I have a lot of life that may get in the way between now and next March. So a WOLF (Western OutLaw Fraternity) meeting next year? Does this place have full hookups?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Panamint has about 10 spots with full hook ups (50 amp) and a few trees for shade. It would probably be a perfect spot to have western a round up.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used to go to DV back in the 70's with jeeps and Bronco's. I got a first hand look at Mansons ranch and buss he was living in. Some very cool mines out there back then. That was before they expanded the boundry of the monument and there was more open land to explore. We camped where we found a good spot. Went home when we ran out of food and bullets.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote