Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
what are the average winter temps. in that area? did this include electricity?
Average winter temps in Bushnell are shown HERE. For Dec. through Feb., the highs average in the 70s and the lows average in the upper 40s. There will usually be 1 or 2 weeks (usually in Jan., but this year it was in Dec.) with lows in the 30s and a couple of nights in the 20s.

The price does not include electricity, but it does include tax. This year, we averaged about $100 a month for electricity. We use an electric heater almost exclusively even though heating with LP is cheaper because the furnace is noisy, and because we want to avoid having to refill the LP tank.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm planning better than a two month stay in Florida this next winter, beginning late November. I started by asking the exact same question you did, anticipating staying in one place the entire time. Then a friend asked 'why'? Why not take advantage of the opportunity to explore (this will be my first winter in Florida) and use those wheels under your house? That's just what I ended up doing.

I have reservations at no fewer than 14 different venues, mostly state parks, from Thanksgiving through mid February. I called every park to verify I'd be able to manuever within the park and fit on a site. In the case of the state parks I usually got a volunteer RVer on the phone who could recommend specific sites. I was also surprised at the number of Florida State parks that could accomodate our rig. I'll have plenty to check out the next time.

If you go with this plan, start making those reservations now. I think you can reserve 11 months out and you may find a lot of parks booked up already. I made all these reservations a month or two ago.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two suggestions... Both the same.

If you do not mind moving around a bit,, I'm spending less than 150/month here in South Carolina by being a member of Thousnd Trails.. My membership lets me stay 2 weeks in the membership park than I have to find a "Week out" parking, which I've managed to do for 10 bucks a night.. I pay about 45 a month membership dues (that's year round) Summers I belong to another membership CG where I spend 20 of the 30 days each month, my "Week out" is spent at a TT park. So the cost is very reasonable, Plus the motor home gets driven every week, at least 20 miles (on sunday going to church) which is a good thing.

The alternative: Many TT parks now offer "Annual lease" Where I"m at I think they start at like 1300 bucks. This means you basically "Own" a site and can stay parked on it for a full year, you can even build a storage shed (please put it on skids so it cn be loaded and trailered if you drop the lease)

I understand there is a membership that ... if you have it, you can move from TT park to TT Park, every two weeks (or 3) you just move back and forth between the two but I do not have that kind of membership.

There are also other memberhsip camping outfits with deals much like this.

OH, another option, depending on many things.. Moose, Elk and some other faternal orginations have lodges with limited RV facilities By limited I mean...

Well, Bowlling Green KY Moose, can host one RV, roughly 10 amps electrical
Lilly KY, a couple of them 15-20 amp electrical
Taylor MI, 30 amp electrical (About 10 rigs)
Las Vegas, 30 amps plus water
Palmdale CA, Water, Sewer, 30 amp and Cable TV

Most of those are 10-15/night (Palmdale is clearly the expensive one)

Some even less.. Good for the week out but.. The prblem is most of those do not even have a dump station.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #18

One thing to remember: Anything North of Punta Gorda FL (go straight across the map) will freeze in Jan/Feb. The East coast has a lot of crime and traffic. The west coast is much nicer. Go to Naples/Everglades city and enjoy a laid back nice winter.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
One thing to remember: Anything North of Punta Gorda FL (go straight across the map) will freeze in Jan/Feb. The East coast has a lot of crime and traffic. The west coast is much nicer. Go to Naples/Everglades city and enjoy a laid back nice winter.
Getting an occasional frost is rare from Orlando and south. Does happen, but certainly not every year. I would definitely agree about the traffic/crime on the east coast, BUT only if you are roughly south of Jupiter/Fort Pierce. From there north (not counting Orlando or Tampa areas) traffic and crime is not much of an issue. Also, I believe that most campgrounds are less expensive on the east coast north of Fort Pierce.

I like the beaches on the Atlantic more than the South Fl Gulf. When we were camping on the Gulf side, we found it hard to find a place to park to get to the beach. Seems that most of the access is taken up by condos. On the Atlantic, there are LOTS of public beach parks with parking. The Gulf looks like a big lake most of the time. Watching the Atlantic waves breaking is much nicer and relaxing....

But, it all comes down to one's likes and preferences. That is why both coasts are crowded in Snowbird season....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
We stay at Land Yacht Harbor in Melbourne, FL. The Winter monthly rates are $495/mo. They do not allow pets though. For non-pet people, this is a great thing. The location is about 10 miles to the beach, just south of the Space Center and an hour from Orlando. Check the web site for rules, rates and contact info.
Ed J,

Looks like a nice place. We grew up with dogs and love them, but no longer have one. AND we are completely sick and tired of all the people out there that simply do not pick up after their pets. We would be hard pressed to find a park without finding dog $hit somewhere. This park is now on our list. Thanks for the post.

Bob
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
I need suggestions for Reasonable ($450-$650/month) Parks in Florida. We have a 37' Diesel Pusher. 2011 will be our first Winter in our Coach, so we have no clue.
Don & Dar
Hi Don & Dar,

Being from MI you might want to look at parks along the panhandle. We spent a couple of Xmas & New Years in Mexico Beach. It is just east of Panama City and the rate was around $500 with electric included. Parks should not charge tax when you 'winter' and 'pay rent'. You need to work that one with them, but you would be a seasonal resident and not subject to 'room taxes'.

This area of the panhandle does get a taste of winter and is very quiet. We love the area and still pass thru on our travels. Don't bother with a reservation as most places you can just drive up and find a site Dec - Feb with no problem to check things out.

Bob
Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
One more suggestion for you to consider. We have a lot in Avion Palms just 5 miles north of Wauchula, FL. These are deeded lots. However, some of the owners rent them out each year. The going rate is $450. mo. Very, very nice. However, you would need to drive about 35 miles east to Sarasota, 20 miles north to Silver Springs, 45 miles south to Punta Gorda, and 20 miles east to Avon Park. Paved streets, nice pool & spa, big club house, work shop, & the list goes on. Can you tell we love it there?

People and weather are great. This is an upscale park you would not be disappointed in for the winter.

Dave
Old 04-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #23

Check out Rock Crusher Canyon RV Resort in Crystal River. The prices you see include electricity and of course full hook-ups and 60+ channel cable system and wifi in a state park like setting in a great area. Some will say it is too far north. I'll take what few really cold days we have any day over the congestion and higher prices you find south of Tampa/Orlando line. Check it out.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #24
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
Ed J,

Looks like a nice place. We grew up with dogs and love them, but no longer have one. AND we are completely sick and tired of all the people out there that simply do not pick up after their pets. We would be hard pressed to find a park without finding dog $hit somewhere. This park is now on our list. Thanks for the post.

Bob
I think you will enjoy it here in Melbourne. Just call for information and reservations before you arrive. See the website home page for the phone numbers and hours to call. The office is usually not open on weekends. The web site states that only 50 sites are for "non-Airstreams". That is not quite correct. The 50 sites limit are for the 4/6 month long term rental. There are usually sites available for monthly rate stays as long as you want. The office can let you know for sure when you call.

BTW, we did have to step around some animal droppings today. The 'resident' Sand Hill Cranes left a deposit on the road.....

Update... I noticed in another post about sales tax. There is no sales tax at this park on any of the site rentals. It has to do with some FL law that does not require sales tax if some percentage of the sites are leased. Don't really know the details except that there is no sales tax here.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote