Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Decent priced RV park near Devil's Tower

Any recommendations for a decent priced RV campground close to Devil's Tower Wyoming for one night; chk in 9/12 and out 9/13? We're at Ellsworth AFB but that's too much of a stretch.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
There is a KOA right next to it. We had reservations to go this past spring but never made it.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #3

We've stayed at the KOA next door to the tower twice. Reasonably priced and very convenient being right at the entrance to the National Monument. Sites were long enough for the largest of rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3573.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	176200  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
There is a KOA right next to it. We had reservations to go this past spring but never made it.
Thanks for the quick response Steve. I called them but it's $50. plus and it's off season. I was hoping to find someone who recognizes the season is pretty much over or if nothing else, offer some kind of discount for being AAA/ senior/military/police and all around nice guy
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Thanks for the quick response Steve. I called them but it's $50. plus and it's off season. I was hoping to find someone who recognizes the season is pretty much over or if nothing else, offer some kind of discount for being AAA/ senior/military/police and all around nice guy
You might be able to camp at Bella Fourche River Campground right in the park. No hookups $20. No reservations. I don't know if they accept the Federal Senior Pass or not. https://www.nps.gov/deto/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Old 09-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #6

Couple years ago, they did accept Federal Senior Pass-half price!
jrwpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #7

Staying in the park is not an option? We did, for two nights in late July and it was nice. Should be cooler now.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
You might be able to camp at Bella Fourche River Campground right in the park. No hookups $20. No reservations. I don't know if they accept the Federal Senior Pass or not. https://www.nps.gov/deto/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
Thanks all for the responses. Turns out Bella Fourche is a great choice...not that KOA wasn't, but Bella Fourche DID take the Senior pass to get in to the park and it cut the rate from $20.00 to $10.00 for the pass as well. No hookups is not a problem, we don't usually amass much in the tanks on our stops and they have fresh water nearby if my fresh water tank should run low. It's clean and well managed and the bathrooms are spotless. I'm pretty new at this camping thing so now I'm gonna be looking for some of these park campgrounds as we begin our trek towards Arches and Zion then Grand Cyn...thanks again to all for the input.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks all for the responses. Turns out Bella Fourche is a great choice...not that KOA wasn't, but Bella Fourche DID take the Senior pass to get in to the park and it cut the rate from $20.00 to $10.00 for the pass as well. No hookups is not a problem, we don't usually amass much in the tanks on our stops and they have fresh water nearby if my fresh water tank should run low. It's clean and well managed and the bathrooms are spotless. I'm pretty new at this camping thing so now I'm gonna be looking for some of these park campgrounds as we begin our trek towards Arches and Zion then Grand Cyn...thanks again to all for the input.
Glad it worked out for you. If you are going to seek out those types of campgrounds then "Recreation.gov" will be your best friend. If you are already aware of the website then forgive me for mentioning it. Most all Federal campgrounds are available on the website. https://www.recreation.gov/

Most of these campgrounds have sites that can be reserved online and payment can also be made online at the time of reservation. Very handy. Most Federal campgrounds will include electric and water to each site with some having full hookups. And the best news is that most all will give the 1/2 price rate for the Senior Pass. Some campgrounds in National Parks are run by private concessionaires and they don't give the discount.

Also there are websites that list boondocking areas, mostly on Bureau of Land Management lands in the West. http://www.boondockingguide.com/

Free Campgrounds – Advice about free and cheap RV camping

There is also a National Forest website for their campgrounds,
https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

Good luck and Happy Trails!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:

I saw this post a little late, sounds like you got it worked out but i thought I would share for anyone else.

If not having hook ups is not a a problem then free camping at the end of susie peak road would work well. We camped there for two ights and liked it. Just to the south is a state camground if boondocking does not work. I think it is about a 30 min drive to the tower from there.....there s a dump station near the fee booth at the entrance.... https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7262...7032116,14.08z

We are just starting to get around the Arches area so I only know one campsite so far... The road used to be the entrance road to Arches many many years ago. Lots of free sites along it. First maybe half mile of the road it not to bad, We have taken our little fiat 500 in and out more than a few times with no problem. Enjoy...https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6969...6938552,16.33z
Arrrive early in the day to be sure you can find a spot. This location seems to not be a secret. Every spot for camping is being used this morning. A lot of them will leave in a bit and more will arrive to take thier place this afternoon.

No I am not bill, I did not pin the spot on google maps.........but whoever bill is I thank him because it was that mark on google maps that led to me finding this spot.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #11

I know you have already been there, but for others, (and I did consider Bella Fourche but I wanted a location closer to the Black Hills) another consideration is the City Campground in Spearfish. Not cheap, but not too bad, at $35 a night, with full hookups, and the cleanest, finest, laundromat I have ever encountered, about three blocks down the street.

Charles
Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
I saw this post a little late, sounds like you got it worked out but i thought I would share for anyone else.

If not having hook ups is not a a problem then free camping at the end of susie peak road would work well. We camped there for two ights and liked it. Just to the south is a state camground if boondocking does not work. I think it is about a 30 min drive to the tower from there.....there s a dump station near the fee booth at the entrance.... https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7262...7032116,14.08z

We are just starting to get around the Arches area so I only know one campsite so far... The road used to be the entrance road to Arches many many years ago. Lots of free sites along it. First maybe half mile of the road it not to bad, We have taken our little fiat 500 in and out more than a few times with no problem. Enjoy...https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6969...6938552,16.33z
Arrrive early in the day to be sure you can find a spot. This location seems to not be a secret. Every spot for camping is being used this morning. A lot of them will leave in a bit and more will arrive to take thier place this afternoon.

No I am not bill, I did not pin the spot on google maps.........but whoever bill is I thank him because it was that mark on google maps that led to me finding this spot.
Thanks for all this info. Unfortunately, I'm a simple meat and pototatos kind of RV camper. Those sites are no doubt very useful for savvy experienced RV'ers...I will certainly get lost trying to navigate my way around those web sites let alone trying to navigate to the actual sites on the road. I've been fortunate tapping into the knowledge base of this group to ask simple directions to a site here or there. Like tomorrow, Monday, we're gonna head towards Grand Junction Co. I'll be calling a few RV parks in the morning b4 we leave from Buckley Air Force Base outside of Denver. I called Moondance RV park and they said they were full (I thought this late in the season and on a monday they'd be beggin' for RV'ers...shows what I know about this business) From there we'll be heading over to Arches, then Bryce, Zion then home (San Diego) If you can offer any simple suggestions on those places, as usual, I will bubble over with much gratitude
Old 09-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming you need hookups, we have been happy at Spanish Trails when in Moab. Ruby's Inn is about the only choice in Bryce; the park campground has no hookups. For Zion, see if you can get in the park's Watchman campground. They have a few spots with electric. Otherwise there are a number in the town (though I haven't stayed in any of them). Note that Arches and Zion will still be pretty busy while Bryce might be cold. The difference in elevation is significant.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for all this info. Unfortunately, I'm a simple meat and pototatos kind of RV camper. Those sites are no doubt very useful for savvy experienced RV'ers...I will certainly get lost trying to navigate my way around those web sites let alone trying to navigate to the actual sites on the road. I've been fortunate tapping into the knowledge base of this group to ask simple directions to a site here or there. Like tomorrow, Monday, we're gonna head towards Grand Junction Co. I'll be calling a few RV parks in the morning b4 we leave from Buckley Air Force Base outside of Denver. I called Moondance RV park and they said they were full (I thought this late in the season and on a monday they'd be beggin' for RV'ers...shows what I know about this business) From there we'll be heading over to Arches, then Bryce, Zion then home (San Diego) If you can offer any simple suggestions on those places, as usual, I will bubble over with much gratitude
We used the mall parking lot in grand junction. it was a sunday, stopped in buffalo wild wings and watched some football, wife did wife things (mall, grocery) and we just stayed in the mall parking for the night with no hassels. There is a walmart near there also but I picked the mall because I wanted to enjoy a few drinks watching football.

I stopped in three rv parks around moab the other day checking ricing for a night or two and looking to dump my tanks. All were full. I only got a price from one, 55 a night water and electric, no sewer.

good luck, I had no idea this is prime time out here. I even saw one private owned lot on the side of the road offering parking for a night (no hookups of any kind, no dump, just an empty lot on the side of the highway.....he was getting 15 dollars a night! there were a half dozen folks using it.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow