Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Went that OPPOSITE route just last September - Calais ME entry, to PEI, back thru Quebec and Ontario thru Port HuronMI... beautiful, except for traffic around Toronto! Other than that, roads are all fine, just like you'd expect in the US - with many signs within Quebec mainly in French, though on main roads that is not really an issue, especially if you use your google maps to guide you.

PEI was beautiful, though we were there right after the tourist season, so most 'attractions' were closed for the season. We did stop by the AnneOfGreenGables 'home' near Kensington and Avonlea village(was closed tho) - and stayed for most of a week at TwinShores RV(NICE!)

Use you card for everything, the exchange rate is great - fuel might be a little confusing since it's shown in LITERS and in cents, such as 100.9, but calculate that to be in US dollars and Gallons and it's not too bad.

Negatives: PEI bridge is free coming in, but, OH, the cost coming out!! $45 us dollars.(our Motorhome and tow vehicle). Oh well, it was worth it regardless : )
Entry in Canada was a breeze - reentry in US was another story, even for their own citizens! [searched the coach, was almost detained for yorkie not proven to have shots within last 12 months]

would do it again in a heartbeat : )
Thanks for the info, we're really looking forward to the trip!
Do you have any recommendations on places to stay along or path?
We will be at PEI for a week so day trips from there will cover the eastern end but things not to miss in Montreal or Qubec city or Toronto would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As a native Detroiter I must tell you that you can only cross into Windsor on the Ambassador Bridge. The tunnel is very low and may restrict propane.When you enter into Canada there will be a money exchange location, watch for signs and if you are towing the parking may be tight. Duty free products (booze) are available here also. You are entering Windsor in the oldest part of town and the streets are a bit narrow. I know from,Are you a thread killer, that you have a few years RVing under your belt and you will do fine getting out of town. If you miss the money exchange any bank in the next few towns can do it for you. As for Quebec, it can be a challenge. I NEVER feel welcome there. We get by but not friendly. Just My experiences.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #17

You will love the trip!

Canada customs is great. Just use common sense.

The 401 Corridor is a great way to traverse Ontario, once into Quebec use the #30 bypass to go around Montreal which joins the TransCanada Highway eastbound east of Montreal. Much more enjoyable, unless your taking in the Montreal city sights.

Signage is just fine and the roads are in good shape, Great spots to stop along the St. Lawrence river as you journey. Quebec has excellent rest stations that are clean and safe.

Riviere-du-Loup is a good spot to overnight before you head southeast towards New Brunswick (Edmunston). The roads are excellent but it is hilly and there are lots of deer and moose on that first part of the trip out of Quebec. Safer and better scenery to leave the next morning.

The roads near Moncton N.B. do need a facelift but they were getting resurfaced last summer, so they may be done now.
Make sure you check out Shediac N.B. and when your on PEI, goto Cavendish as well as Northumberland provincial park.

Let us know what other questions you have!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 AM   #18

When in the Montreal area you can't miss old Montreal, this is where tourist go and I'm sure you will enjoy your visit. Depending on how long you'll stay, there is a camping ground in Longueuil witch is on the south east shore of the St-Laurent river that is own by the city, very reasonable price, good for 2-3 nights 2 services and dump station as you go out. From there you can either take your vehicule to cross to Montreal or even better, take the ferry to old Montreal, no need for a car....Look up marina sogerive and you'll have all the info you need.
Also if you happen to there while fire works you will be able to enjoy them right from your camping spot... And lastly while in Longueuil there are some very good restaurant on main street about a 5-10 minutes walk from campground accross from highway 132.....

Quebec city again lots to see, old Quebec at Chateau Champlain is a good starting point, everything is walking distance, same as Montreal. I'm not sure but i think you can find a campgroung in Levis, accross from the river from Quebec and there again take the ferry in to town....
Hope this help a little

Michel
Old 06-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
As our trip approaches some additional questions have come up. Cell phone service? We don't expect to use our phones that much but do we need international service for the 2-3 weeks we are there? Is free Wifi available anywhere so we can keep in touch?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #20

Can you hear me now?
Canada ranks way up there as having the most expensive cell service in the world. You're probably better off getting an intl package from your US provider. If not, try Telus or Rogers or Bell, in that order.
Wi-fi is quite common so you could probably get away with voip apps like Skype or Ooma. In some campgrounds you may have to go to the office to catch a good signal.

Have fun here in Canada!!!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
Old 06-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #21
RVM1

We went off the grid (turned off cell service on the phone) while there before. It was only 2 weeks. This time we will use VOIP like Skype or Facetime to "phone". Can still dial 911

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd say just one more question, but it may not be the last!

I've been reading the Canadian websites on what you can and can't bring in. One place says up to so many kilograms of diary. Another place says no milk! If they throw my wife's half and half out that she uses in her coffee then they'll have to deal with her! Lol Seriously, it's a little confusing. Purchasing items there is no problem s just we will need some things while we travel from here to the border.

So, can we have milk or half and half in fridge?

Can we have a dozen eggs in fridge?
Old 07-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I'd say just one more question, but it may not be the last!

I've been reading the Canadian websites on what you can and can't bring in. One place says up to so many kilograms of diary. Another place says no milk! If they throw my wife's half and half out that she uses in her coffee then they'll have to deal with her! Lol Seriously, it's a little confusing. Purchasing items there is no problem s just we will need some things while we travel from here to the border.

I would imagine that the rules of what you can bring in change over time. We entered Canada in September of 2015. They did not, at that time, inquire about dairy products. What they did do was confiscate my raw eggs (hardboiled were okay).

Other times when we went into Canada they were more concerned about bringing wood across the border.

Enjoy your time in Canada! We certainly do when we are up there.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #24

Last year, entering Canada and leaving Canada, we were never asked about any dairy products other than eggs. We had to hand over the eggs both times. Entering Canada, we handed over the eggs to the officer. Upon leaving Canada back into Montana, my husband got out of the RV and put our eggs in a huge cooler chest that was at the border crossing. He said the cooler was FULL of eggs! Also, we were asked if we had oranges. Well we did. He wanted the peels only, as they carry some kind of disease. So there we sat at the border crossing peeling our oranges, fortunately only about six. I think you will be fine with half n half.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post

Just go for it. Yeah, they could take it from you but probably not. When we camp in Vermont then come back into Canada we always tell the border agents we have "leftover groceries" and they've never, ever checked what it was.

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
Old 07-02-2016, 05:01 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Cell service in Canada. We purchased a month to month T-Mobile North American plan that has unlimited talk and text with 6g data for $65 per month. We are currently in Trinity, Newfoundland and have been using it since May. We have found it to provide good coverage in populated areas. The plan we have allowed us to pay up front for the 4 months we will be in Canada so no payments to make on the road. Our AT&T plan would have been very expensive to use in Canada.
Some additional info:

1 You will need a cell phone that can accept a T-Mobile sim card. In our case we had a phone that we owned and was not under our AT&T contract. If not you may have to purchase a phone.
2 We had to unlock the phone by contacting AT&T. We got the instructions and T-Mobile did the actual unlocking code for us. (Great help)
3 We found a T-Mobile service store and drove there. They installed the T-Mobile sim card in a short time and we were in business.
4 We did find that T-Mobile coverage was not as good as our AT&T in our home area. We have been pleased with our coverage in Canada.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IN IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #27
RVM1

We will only be in Canada for 2 weeks. Sometimes "off the grid" is good, even great! More time for play and adventure.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We will only be in Canada for 2 weeks. Sometimes "off the grid" is good, even great! More time for play and adventure.

We will be in Canada nearly two weeks before we meet up with y'all! I should be fluent in French by the time we meet! That's provided I don't have to bail Mary out of the pokey after they take her coffee creamer away!

Looking forward to getting started. How's the great grand child looking, still waiting on the storke?