Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 08:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
We will be in Canada nearly two weeks before we meet up with y'all! I should be fluent in French by the time we meet! That's provided I don't have to bail Mary out of the pokey after they take her coffee creamer away!

Looking forward to getting started. How's the great grand child looking, still waiting on the storke?

Stork is scheduled for July 14th, but perhaps catches a tail wind?

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
One more question on crossing border. Is there a duty free zone that we can access easily with parking for our coach and toad? We've determined we will cross the Ambassador bridge!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #31

Quote:
One more question on crossing border. Is there a duty free zone that we can access easily with parking for our coach and toad? We've determined we will cross the Ambassador bridge!

Here ya go Tim
http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/stores...dge-duty-free/

Old 07-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I had found that one Dave, from google map it looks like it's set up for travel into the US. I was hopeing to make a purchase on way in. Need some snake bite medicine, they can be deadly you know!

What do you know about the crossing coming back into Maine ?
Will you need to stock up on anything along those lines?
Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #33

Quote:
I had found that one Dave, from google map it looks like it's set up for travel into the US. I was hopeing to make a purchase on way in. Need some snake bite medicine, they can be deadly you know!

What do you know about the crossing coming back into Maine ?

Will you need to stock up on anything along those lines?

Snakebite can be brought into Canada, 1 liter. While there, it is available at much higher prices.
After leaving Canada, the price of Snakebite is much lower. But the price is not worth the stop at the border shop.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi huntnski,

I'm an American that has lived in Quebec for the last 20 years, I thought that I would throw my 2 ¢'s in, (1 ¢ if your using USD! )

First, don't worry about French too much. Most people speak a little English, the key phrase to remember is "Je suis un Américain", (Jah swee un American), "I'm an American", then most people will try to speak to you in English, (if they think that your from a English speaking province of Canada, a lot of people will give you a hard time, no matter how good your French is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
the roads are in good shape
LOL, I'm not sure where you have driven in Quebec, (or how bad the roads are where your from!) but the roads in Quebec can be really bad! Also, if you damage you vehicle due to the bad roads, it's you problem, the Province and all cities and towns are exempt from liability due to poor road maintenance or negligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoll View Post
Can you hear me now?
Canada ranks way up there as having the most expensive cell service in the world. You're probably better off getting an intl package from your US provider. If not, try Telus or Rogers or Bell, in that order.
I actually find that the service is cheaper here in Canada. US cell phones will work up here, check with your provider if there are roaming charges. BTW, turn off data roaming before crossing the border! US and Canadian cell service like to hammer their customers with data roaming charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
the roads are in good shape, Great spots to stop along the St. Lawrence river as you journey. Quebec has excellent rest stations that are clean and safe.

Riviere-du-Loup is a good spot to overnight before you head southeast towards New Brunswick (Edmunston). The roads are excellent but it is hilly and there are lots of deer and moose on that first part of the trip out of Quebec. Safer and better scenery to leave the next morning.

The roads near Moncton N.B. do need a facelift but they were getting resurfaced last summer, so they may be done now.
Make sure you check out Shediac N.B. and when your on PEI, goto Cavendish as well as Northumberland provincial park.

Let us know what other questions you have!
Other than "the roads are in good shape" part, I have to agree with the rest. Quebec is really beautiful, especially around the St. Lawrence River valley. Living in Montreal reminds me of living in Europe, with the conveniences of North America, (all the stores don't close at noon! ). If you planning to visit Montreal, (which I really recommend), try to find a place to park your rig off island and drive your tow into town, pm me if you need help finding a spot to park, although I see a lot of people parking in mall parking lots. Here is why you want to leave your rig off island:

This is only the road construction for the island of Montreal, not sure how bad south shore is. In Quebec we say, there are two seasons, winter and construction! Montreal is in the process of replacing all of it's water mains, (the city was losing about 70% of it's fresh water through 100+ year old pipes), so driving a large vehicle in town can be a challenge.

Good places to visit in Montreal are the Botanical Gardins, (Jardin Botanique: Jardin botanique | Espace pour la vie), The Biodome, (same website), the Insectarium, , (same website) and Saint Joseph's Oratory, (Saint-Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal). Heres a link for Tourism Montreal: Traveller | Tourism Montreal.

BTW, forget the snakebite, Canadian beer is much stronger than American, some of it is 9%! If you need a list of Quebec beers, let me know, my son is a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to beer, (and scotch, and whiskey and...)!..

I hope you have a great time in the Belle Province it really is a beautiful place.

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Zog, ready or not we're headed your way!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #36

A good spot to stay with your rv is on the south shore of Montreal in Longueuil.Look up Sogerive marina, they have a campground also with 2 services and dump station on site... Very cheap, plus they have a ferry that will take you right there in old Montreal, where most of the action is .....If you happen to be here as i'm also from the neibourhood, during the fire works you will see them directly from your camping spot, very neat. As for visiting the St-Joseph oratory and The botanical garden and whatever else you would like to see, you can use your toad or public transportation. Sogerive marina is right next to Jacques Cartier bridge so easy access to Montreal.
Hope you enjoy your stay in Montreal
Mike
Old 07-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micalo View Post
If you happen to be here as i'm also from the neibourhood, during the fire works you will see them directly from your camping spot, very neat.
LOL, good point, I had forgotten the Montreal International Fireworks Competition: L'International des Feux Loto-Québec - Parc Jean-Drapeau

BTW, where at in Montreal are you micalo? I used to live in quartier Rosemont, but I'm up in Val-David for the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micalo View Post
The botanical garden and whatever else you would like to see, you can use your toad or public transportation.
Take public transport. The Montreal Metro: http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/metro, will take you to most of the tourist sites and it's very safe. Just be sure to remember what station you get on at so you can find your way back!

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #38

ZOG, I'm in Chateauguay, We have family down your way in Morin heights.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have completed my trip through Canada an some had ask I post my thoughts. Great time! Found the French speaking to be a non issue and yes thr traffic was BAD around Toronto I found the drivers friendly allowing me to merge and change lanes without any problems. If anyone is thinking of taking this trip might I suggest waiting till school starts back as we were forced to Wallydock three nights when all campgrounds were full. Wallydocking there is much different than in the states. One lot had 35 units on it by morning. Great time, great country, we'll be back.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoll View Post
As a Quebecker, I can assure you that language is not a problem. If you start with a smile and your best "Bonjour!" the rest is easy!

The biggest problem is CONSTRUCTION! Oh, my! You picked the wrong summer to drive through Montreal! Luckily, you can bypass the entire island by taking Autoroute 30. There's one toll (a few bucks) but it will save you a whole lot of stress!

Signage translations:
North is Nord
South is Sud
East is Est
West is Ouest
Bridge is Pont
Downtown is Centre Ville
Exit is Sortie

Keep in mind that Exits are numbered according to distance based on the mile markers (actually kilometer markers). So if you're at Exit 4 and need to take Exit 20, it will be 16km (10 miles) away.

Drive safely!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B

Great comments. We are going to PEI. This summer. July. Remember this year. Canada 150. There will be a lot of things to see. We are going to stop in KOA. Quebec. City. Take care.