Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Detroit, thru Montreal to PEI

Will be travaling for the first time into Canada. We plan on crossing at Detroit and travaling through Montreal, Quebec City on to Prince Edward Island. Anyone have any insight to this route, or things to prepare for while in Canada in general?

We have heard French is spoken in this area and we only speak southern English, how big a problem will this be?

Thanks for your input!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #2

You will need a passport, or passport card. Visit as a tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Will be traveling for the first time into Canada. We plan on crossing at Detroit and traveling through Montreal, Quebec City on to Prince Edward Island. Anyone have any insight to this route, or things to prepare for while in Canada in general?

We have heard French is spoken in this area and we only speak southern English, how big a problem will this be?

Thanks for your input!

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
You will need a passport, or passport card. Visit as a tourist
We have, thanks!
Old 04-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The main issue will be once you cross over into Quebec providence. There everything is in French, and none of their signage is in English. When you first enter into Ontario providence signage will be in English and French. A basic knowledge of North, South, East and West in French is almost mandatory. People in Quebec do speak English but would rather speak French.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Do not miss Ottowa. It is a lovely charming place to visit.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

As a Quebecker, I can assure you that language is not a problem. If you start with a smile and your best "Bonjour!" the rest is easy!

The biggest problem is CONSTRUCTION! Oh, my! You picked the wrong summer to drive through Montreal! Luckily, you can bypass the entire island by taking Autoroute 30. There's one toll (a few bucks) but it will save you a whole lot of stress!

Signage translations:
North is Nord
South is Sud
East is Est
West is Ouest
Bridge is Pont
Downtown is Centre Ville
Exit is Sortie

Keep in mind that Exits are numbered according to distance based on the mile markers (actually kilometer markers). So if you're at Exit 4 and need to take Exit 20, it will be 16km (10 miles) away.

Drive safely!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
Old 04-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoll View Post
As a Quebecker, I can assure you that language is not a problem. If you start with a smile and your best "Bonjour!" the rest is easy!

The biggest problem is CONSTRUCTION! Oh, my! You picked the wrong summer to drive through Montreal! Luckily, you can bypass the entire island by taking Autoroute 30. There's one toll (a few bucks) but it will save you a whole lot of stress!

Signage translations:
North is Nord
South is Sud
East is Est
West is Ouest
Bridge is Pont
Downtown is Centre Ville
Exit is Sortie

Keep in mind that Exits are numbered according to distance based on the mile markers (actually kilometer markers). So if you're at Exit 4 and need to take Exit 20, it will be 16km (10 miles) away.

Drive safely!

Thanks Roger, that's encouraging and well noted!

One other question is currency, do I need to make an exchange before entering at Detroit? We generally use credit cards for everything to get the points.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

Good afternoon......Bonjour
Credit cards are no problem, master card, visa mainly, and welcome to this beautiful city of Montreal, mostly every body will be able to speek to you in english. As rogerroll wrote if you could master these few simple words you'll be allrite.... Have a good trip and it would be nice to have your comments from your passing true our province.

Have a good one
Mike
Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

Detroit, thru Montreal to PEI

Your trip sounds terrific.

Having crossed the frontier into Canada last year, I can tell you for certain: do not attempt to bring raw eggs into Canada. Don't ask me how I know 😡. Also, it would be a good idea to know your rigs height in meters. That one stumped us the first time we came to a bridge that seemed too low for us. We know our height in feet...just had to do some quick math I our head to convert it to meters.

By the way...we had a terrific time traveling through Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. We hope to follow in your east bound path the next time we visit Canada.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Your trip sounds terrific.

Having crossed the frontier into Canada last year, I can tell you for certain: do not attempt to bring raw eggs into Canada. Don't ask me how I know 😡. Also, it would be a good idea to know your rigs height in meters. That one stumped us the first time we came to a bridge that seemed too low for us. We know our height in feet...just had to do some quick math I our head to convert it to meters.

By the way...we had a terrific time traveling through Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. We hope to follow in your east bound path the next time we visit Canada.
Ok so far I have No Guns, No Eggs and know French and the metric system!

Anything else, truly this is all helpful as I want to have no problems while there! Fresh produce and meat, will that be ok?
Old 04-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

There are few restrictions:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inf.../1389630282362

The list can change so be prepared to leave some things behind if you get a particularly persnickety border guard. (This can happen to us too when we cross into Vermont or New York) That said, you can probably find your favourite food items in our grocery stores and with the current exchange rate, you might as well!

Bon appetit!

Old 04-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoll View Post
There are few restrictions:
Travellers: What Can I Bring Into Canada? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

The list can change so be prepared to leave some things behind if you get a particularly persnickety border guard. (This can happen to us too when we cross into Vermont or New York) That said, you can probably find your favourite food items in our grocery stores and with the current exchange rate, you might as well!

Bon appetit!

Wow, looks like the pantry and fridge needs to be empty.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #13

My rule of thumb when crossing from Canada to US and back is go empty fridge, this way there cant be any problem, as what is said you will find what you need in both countrys.
And money exchange is in your favor this year.

Enjoy your trip
Michel
Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #14

Wink

Went that OPPOSITE route just last September - Calais ME entry, to PEI, back thru Quebec and Ontario thru Port HuronMI... beautiful, except for traffic around Toronto! Other than that, roads are all fine, just like you'd expect in the US - with many signs within Quebec mainly in French, though on main roads that is not really an issue, especially if you use your google maps to guide you.

PEI was beautiful, though we were there right after the tourist season, so most 'attractions' were closed for the season. We did stop by the AnneOfGreenGables 'home' near Kensington and Avonlea village(was closed tho) - and stayed for most of a week at TwinShores RV(NICE!)

Use you card for everything, the exchange rate is great - fuel might be a little confusing since it's shown in LITERS and in cents, such as 100.9, but calculate that to be in US dollars and Gallons and it's not too bad.

Negatives: PEI bridge is free coming in, but, OH, the cost coming out!! $45 us dollars.(our Motorhome and tow vehicle). Oh well, it was worth it regardless : )
Entry in Canada was a breeze - reentry in US was another story, even for their own citizens! [searched the coach, was almost detained for yorkie not proven to have shots within last 12 months]

would do it again in a heartbeat : )

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote