Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Difficulty Level towing across UT to CO on I-70

Hey guys...I'm towing a heavy toyhauler 38' with my Ram 3500...considering taking I-70 from Utah to Denver. How difficult will that be...should I avoid the tunnel, etc? Anyone done this drive safely?
bluerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Truck diesel or gas? Either way don't try to keep up with autos and empty pickups, downshift manually if/when the temperature gauge begins to rise. This permits RPM's to rise and the fan and water pump to turn faster and improve engine cooling. A gas engine may sound like it's going to fly apart by the time you reach the top, but as long as you stay below red-line it should be fine. I seem to remember there are pull-outs for overheating vehicles and emergencies. If your truck does over-heat, simply let it idle, raise the hood and pour a glass of water slowly across the front of the radiator(not on top tank) to assist cooling.
I've been over that mountain with my 96 Dodge CTD 3/4T, and my Chevy Duramax dually, both times @ very near my GCWR. If you are over GCWR all bets are off. Utilize the truck slow lane, keep RPM's up, sit back and enjoy the scenery.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

No big hills on 70 in Utah. Co Tunnel. At divide is cool in mornings.
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

I-70 has been traveled by thousands of RVers. You'll just be going slower than cars but you'll make it. Don't worry about the tunnel. Semi trucks drive this route, too.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 PM   #5

Eisenhower tunnel is the best way over the summit. I-70 is major trucking route, so the grades are kept at 6% or less. Some can be a little long, just let the truck work where it is doing good. That means gear down and rpm up. Not the place to worry about gas mileage, burn some dinosaurs. I-70 in UT us flat and easy, so is western CO until Glenwood Springs, where it starts to go up. Western Co along I-70 is a pretty drive, even up the hill is nice.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Several years ago I crossed that area with my 01 Dodge 3500 pulling a 36 foot King of the Road 5th wheel trailer. Was no problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Eisenhower tunnel is the best way over the summit. I-70 is major trucking route, so the grades are kept at 6% or less.
Not all interstates are entirely 6%.

The Eisenhower Tunnel at elevation 11,013' is 7% for 6 miles. Granted, 1% isn't going to make a big difference.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

I have towed across I 70 from end to end with several different Ram/Cummins trucks, including a '96 2500 pulling a 14000 5er. Never had any problems in doing so, just remember to use the same gear going down hills as you used coming up, an exhaust brake will save a lot on the brakes keeping them cool for when you really may need them.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing