Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #1

I am a traveling insurance adjuster that utilizes a 35ft 5th wheel for home and office when I am on the road. I have stayed all over the country and have never once had an experience like the one I am encountering at Natalbany Creek Campground, in Amite, Louisiana.

My wife makes all of my reservations for me from home, and made this one for me as well. The campgrounds posted rates were $30 per day, and $350 per month less than one week ago on their website, and a verbal confirmation from the staff.

I know that to some, this might sound petty, but remember that this area is now in a state of devastation due to Hurricane Katrina. The Park is full of evacuees and relief workers here to help these people out.

The Park originally stated to my wife that we would need to pay daily, at the full daily rate, until they were notified by FEMA that the park was being taken over to run housing out of. The time limit for notification expired that FEMA had given the park, and the park was to resume normal operation.

Not the case. The rates are now $900 a month, and $600 if you are staying 3 months or more. This is price gouging, and it is illegal.

Just a sob story for you. One couple we talked to last night that are displaced, have no home to go to even if the police would let them back into thier parrish, said that the park staff informed them, that they had two days to come up with the $900 or they were out of here.

This park pretty much made it through the storm unscathed, and fully operational. Now, they are taking advantage of the situation and treating people with nothing left like they mean nothing.

Guys, I make plenty of money to cover my expenses, so this really has no effect on me whatsoever. But, I am seriously dissappointed in these people for taking advantage of victims of a disaster, and benefitting from it.

Unfourtunately, there is no other parks that have sites available. Danged if you do, Danged if you don't.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #2

I am a traveling insurance adjuster that utilizes a 35ft 5th wheel for home and office when I am on the road. I have stayed all over the country and have never once had an experience like the one I am encountering at Natalbany Creek Campground, in Amite, Louisiana.

My wife makes all of my reservations for me from home, and made this one for me as well. The campgrounds posted rates were $30 per day, and $350 per month less than one week ago on their website, and a verbal confirmation from the staff.

I know that to some, this might sound petty, but remember that this area is now in a state of devastation due to Hurricane Katrina. The Park is full of evacuees and relief workers here to help these people out.

The Park originally stated to my wife that we would need to pay daily, at the full daily rate, until they were notified by FEMA that the park was being taken over to run housing out of. The time limit for notification expired that FEMA had given the park, and the park was to resume normal operation.

Not the case. The rates are now $900 a month, and $600 if you are staying 3 months or more. This is price gouging, and it is illegal.

Just a sob story for you. One couple we talked to last night that are displaced, have no home to go to even if the police would let them back into thier parrish, said that the park staff informed them, that they had two days to come up with the $900 or they were out of here.

This park pretty much made it through the storm unscathed, and fully operational. Now, they are taking advantage of the situation and treating people with nothing left like they mean nothing.

Guys, I make plenty of money to cover my expenses, so this really has no effect on me whatsoever. But, I am seriously dissappointed in these people for taking advantage of victims of a disaster, and benefitting from it.

Unfourtunately, there is no other parks that have sites available. Danged if you do, Danged if you don't.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #3

file a formal complaint, here in Florida we have chain gain Charlie Crist, he hates price gouging and his office investigates these complaints.

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Welcome Wesley to iRV2!
( I also sent you a PM with a little info )
I found the info you posted here to be startling. Taking advantage of people in a crisis situation is a real problem.

We have a member of the forum here who has an RV business in that area and has worked in the opposite manner. Selling generators for a very slim margin, working with the agencies to HELP as versus to gouge. If anything, he will work himself into ill health in the amount of hours and hard work in his efforts to help.
I hope there are many more of these sort of people then the one you have mentioned.

again, Welcome Wesley, and we hope to hear more of your travels and about your RV as the months go one,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #5

I had to find this website for the Attorney General over some price gouging, here. Maybe you can report this terrible CG.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us.
You would put in your own state, I am sure.
Or the phone # is 1-800-252-8011

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #6

Not sure if any of you have been updated, but the Louisiana Attorney Generals office has filed charges against the campgound for price gouging.

Attorney General sues Northshore campground for alleged price gouging
06:58 AM CDT on Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- The state attorney general on Monday sued a Tangipahoa Parish campground for alleged price gouging after Hurricane Katrina, saying the owner raised monthly rates from $350 to $900 as the campground filled up with evacuees.

Attorney General Charles Foti's suit is his agency's first price-gouging litigation since Katrina struck Louisiana on Aug. 29.

The suit says the Natalbany Creek Campground in Amite hiked prices two weeks after the storm hit, while the area remained under Gov. Kathleen Blanco's declaration of emergency. The campground's manager called police to evict customers -- evacuees who had fled Jefferson Parish and other flooded areas -- who did not pay the new rates, the suit says.

The price increase broke Louisiana's price gouging law, the suit says, by "evicting desperate evacuees and ... continuing to demand unjustifiably high prices, when such consumers have little to no alternative through no fault of their own."

The suit identifies the campground's owner as M. Lamarr Clemons of Amite. Clemons' lawyer, Shelby Easterly, declined to comment, saying he hadn't finished reading the suit.

The suit cites a 1993 Louisiana law that says prices may not "exceed the prices ordinarily charged for comparable goods and services in the same market area" during a state of emergency as declared by the governor or parish president.

The campground has one-bedroom cabins for two people and two-bedroom cabins, with kitchens, for up to eight people, according to its web site.

The lawsuit said normal rates before the storm were $22 per day or $350 per month. The suit said Clemons first raised the daily rate on Aug. 30, from $22 to $30.

The monthly price increase came on Sept. 12, and customers were told they could no longer pay by the day, the suit says. Customers had two options, according to the lawsuit: pay $900 per month or pay for three months in advance, at a "discount" price of $1,800, or $600 per month.

The suit cites 13 people, two of them Federal Emergency Management Agency officials, who have testified about the price hikes.

The campground's web site still lists a price of $30 per day or $600 per month. "All prices are subject to change without prior written notice," the site says.

Destrehan, Louisiana
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote