Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Here until this Friday - 11/23 - Site 231.

There are a lot of Newmar coaches here, wondering if any are irv2.com members. Please stop by anytime. Met up with Paul (Jetsmania) and Jill last week who are wonderful people.

As an aside, outside of the ever present Fleetwood Discovery, I have to say that the Phaeton is the #2 coach by number here at FW which is full.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Okay, how many more IRV2 campers do we have going to Fort Wilderness in December 2007 (or other dates) ???

Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #31

Hello everyone,
We will be going into Ft. Wilderness on Jan 4, 2008 til Jan 12, 2008 and then back in on Jan 16, 2008 til Feb. 16, 2008. We love being there. Lots of friends there and some of them are part time workers there........
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, we're into December 2007, how's everyone doing?

December 2007 IRV2 Members who will be at Fort Wilderness who posted dates:

GaDawgFan 12/1 - 12/8
MMouser 12/1 - 4/10
XBoater 12/31 New Years Eve
CoastieSCPO 12/10 - 12/20
Howard Leap 12/9 - 12/22
jimlaurielucy 12/17 - 12/20
Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #33

I will be at Fort Wilderness from 14 April to 20 April 2008. If you are also going to be there stop by and sya Hi. Ginny and I will be in a Bounder.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were at Fort Wilderness for our first time Nov. 25 -30. We had heard both glowing and negative comments on FW. Most of the negative comments were related to the age of the facility, small sites close together and no pull-thru sites. In fact, we stayed one day at a really nice KOA in Kissimmee the day before going to Disney and folks there said, 'you will wish you were back here...they really jam then in at FW.'

My observations:

1. the entry lanes at their toll boothes are tight...also at the FW check-in boothes.
2. while the sites are all back-ins, we did not think they were that close to adjacent sites. The placement of trees does a nice job of making it seem you have your own space. All of the sections I saw (and I believe I rode my bike thru all of them), seemed spacious enough. There were a number of 45' foot rigs everywhere.
3. the place is clean.
4. bus transportation around FW was great and the ferry to Magic Kingdom was very convenient.
5. it was quicker to drive your own vehicle to parks other than Magic Kingdom than to ride their buses.

Overall, we enjoyed FW. When we go again, we will try to stay there. We also checked out Tropical Palms RV Resort and think that would also be a good base to use when visiting Disney.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
smlranger,

Your comments are right on. Have been to Disney FW for 3 weeks w/two small children the past 5 years in a coach. There are definitely more desirable sites than others but, generally a great campground.

When we didn't tow a vehicle we actually rented a car to get to the other parks as the bus waits were maddening. Parking is free if you are staying at a Disney resort.

You mentioned the narrow check-in lanes. Did you notice how narrow it was at the guard shack and on a curve. You better be a darn near perfect driver to navigate that w/o scuffing or going over a curb. That seemed to change w/in the last year.

One con that you didn't mention that drives me crazy is how long it takes to check-in. I don't mean the wait in line, I mean the process of getting checked-in w/a person. I own a campground and I can't see why it takes so long. Disney systems should be even faster you'd think.

We will be trying Tropical Palms for a couple of nights when we go back to Florida in January.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #36

We will be checking in Dec 10th and will be there until the 14th.

2007 Newmar All Star 3950
BSFocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #37

What we do to get away from the toll boothes and check-in lanes is park in the parking lot over near the kennels. Walk over to the building and check-in inside it. Then we just get into the coach, drive around and right into the campground. No lines, no waiting.......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One con that you didn't mention that drives me crazy is how long it takes to check-in. I don't mean the wait in line, I mean the process of getting checked-in w/a person. I own a campground and I can't see why it takes so long. Disney systems should be even faster you'd think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that the check-in seemed a bit slow. I did not know you could park in the lot and go inside to check in...will keep that in mind if we go again.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #39

We have been to the FW CG too many times to count, with tents then pop-ups and TT's and this April in our first MH. Nothing has changed our opinion that this is the best place to go with or without kids. Its large enough so we can cruise around and talk to people with interesting rigs. If anyone is in town April 1-7, 2008 look us up. Not sure of the spot yet but I will be in a Newmar Baystar 3202.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We'll be there April 22 - 26, 2008...wish it were sooner...any campers there in Jan/Feb/Mar?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
smlranger,
your post was spot on and very helpful. Been a little on the terified side to try to park a 40 MH at FW. Thanks for a great informative post.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #42

I just came backe from the Tampa Super Show and visited the DW Ft. Wilderness Booth. they are advising that they will be undergoing a major remodeling with all the camp sites being widened and the concrete pads being expanded. The construction will begin in May 08 and will cause them to close one lop at a time. they will be constructing a dog park and expanding the pools with slides and other stuff. It should make it easier to park the larger units. Good news for even the smaller units. The cocina ground stone will be covered over. That stuff is impossible to vacumn out of the carpets.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote