Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
PGD

Disney Fort Wilderness

Planning a trip to Fort Wilderness this summer. We've been to Disney many times, and stayed in the resorts. But this time we are taking the RV and staying in the campground. Looking forward to it. Any tips, or suggestions?
PGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

I was there last year on our 40 footer. Had a great time. However, the site they put us in was tight - very tight. There are trash cans in animal proof containers set in concrete right on the edge of the road. That makes maneuvering very difficult. I wasn't sure we were going to get in, but eventually did. The issue maybe the site you're assigned. Had we been one over it would not have been as much of a problem. You might want to scout out the site with your tow car.

Lot's to do there, especially for the kids. Rent a golf cart, makes getting around easier. We went in July, would recommend winter time if possible, but you're still going to have fun.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

Been to Fort Wilderness several times. I'm dead serious when I say it's probably my wife's favorite place on the planet!

Yes getting into some of the sites can be tight, but I've always managed to get in. ... I once watched a fella in a 45' Mountain Air get into a site that thought would be impossible, but the engineers at Disney have pretty well figured out what RVs will fit into what sites.

I do have two pieces of advice:

1) try to make sure you have everything you need before you get there. Having to leave the "Disney Bubble" to run to Wal-mart can ruin the experience.

2) Don't stress about how much it cost. Disney knows how to show you a good time, but it doesn't come cheap. Stressing over the money will just detract from the adventure. As the saying goes... "When you walk thru the gate, Mickey Mouse is going to grab you by the ankles, turn you upside down, and shake all the money out of your pockets! If you're OK with that.. you're going to have a wonderful time!"
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #4

What he said.....Take a sack full...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD View Post
Planning a trip to Fort Wilderness this summer. We've been to Disney many times, and stayed in the resorts. But this time we are taking the RV and staying in the campground. Looking forward to it. Any tips, or suggestions?
FW is awesome, we've been there about 8 times in the last year. Busses take you to the parks and also internal busses in the campground to get around.

Take your golf cart if you have one. It is the preferred method of travel by most. You can rent one for about $60 /day also at the main entrance. It's a great way to cruise around and check out sites for your next trip.

We prefer sites in the 400, 500,600, 700 and 800 loops. 1300 loop isn't bad either since it's close to the Meadows complex.
Restrooms and showers are spotless, as expected.

Have fun!![emoji879]️

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 AM   #6

Check out the site below, you can get plenty of advise there.

Forums - Fort Fiends
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:50 AM   #7

Perfect! Thank you for posting this thread. I was about to post the same thing but decided to search for a thread first. I am going at the end of November / Beginning of December. Wife is a Disney fanatic and in numerous trips over the years we have never gone to see the Christmas decorations. She's so excited. We have a 31' travel trailer and have reservations on the pet loop. Looking forward to reading tips in this thread from those who have experienced Fort Wilderness already.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #8

Disney Fort Widerness

We stayed there and I love the place. It is not cheap but if you stay at Disney Hotel you pay the same. At least you are in your home and not one that who knows who slept in. Golf cart a must, boat trip to parks is cool and you can just do the round trip ride. The park is huge and just cruising around on golf cart is fun. Sites are level and paved pad. Take the bikes and just get your exercise that way too. Enjoy. Best time of year to go, cooler.
Dov327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 AM   #9

No tips I can think of, but I will say they have the best and easiest check-in system on the planet. Drive up to the attendant. Never have to get out of the RV.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We were there the first week of May, (6 adults 2 motorhomes no children). Stayed in the 200 loop, short walk to the dock for water transportation. Boats go direct to Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary Hotel and, Magic Kingdom. From these you can take short tram ride to Transportation Center. We preferred the boats over the bus. Others opinions may vary.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
PGD

Thanks for all the great tips. Yes Mickey is an expert in extracting cash from guests, but you get what you pay for I guess. I've reserved a golf cart. Hoping to get a six person cart. They put me on the waiting list, so don't know what the chance of getting one will be. People have recommended particular loops, but I've seen no way of selecting the loop when making the reservation. I've reserved a premium site. I was able to indicate I'd like to be near my in-laws who are traveling with us in their fifth wheel. I guess I'll see where they put us. Got the dining plan too. I don't feel like worrying about preparing meals, after long days in the park. Especially since I would likely be the one cooking and doing dishes.
PGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:20 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
The bus transportation while good is slow. The biggest tip I can give is to either rent a golf cart (which is 60 bucks a day and seems expensive) or bring bikes which we plan to do next time.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We love Fort Wilderness and although we spend 6 months of the year parked on our RV site 20 minutes from there we will still spend up to a week at the Fort.

For a bigger rig I'd suggest a premium site. Not a guarantee, but you'll generally have more maneuvering room. Your 31' rig will give you more flexibility.

The nice young folks assigning the sites will look at their on-line description and decide it is big (long) enough for you, but generally have no clue as to the immediate environment in terms of getting onto the site. Five or six years ago we were assigned a site that was plenty big, but we would have had to fold the coach in half to get into it. A nice young man driving the "garbage truck" stopped and asked if he could help and after explaining asked if another open site would work for us. After pointing out one nearby he got on his radio and cleared it with the office. Easy peasy.

We like to use our bikes to get around the park and generally find the carts annoying. They've taken over what was once nicely landscaped/wooded areas for parking, especially near the settlement outpost area (down by the lake) and many of the operators seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them. We have no objection to those needing additional mobility assistance using them, but most sites are steps from the closest bus stop which can get you anywhere you need to be if you don't have bikes.

The price is very high, but competitive with other nice RV parks in the area when you consider the can't be beat facilities and amenities.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #14

Disney Fort Wilderness

Just a little info if you're interested.

You can rent a golf cart off-site and bring it in. They no longer allow golf cart deliveries - and haven't for a while - but you can go off-site, then bring it back into Ft Wilderness.

It's been over a year, but I've always use Tee Time Golf Cart Rentals. $35 p/day. (407) 516-4571 or (407) 276-0809. Talk to Kenny.

Kenny or one of his guys will meet you at a parking lot a couple of miles from Ft. Wilderness. He'll have a cart on a trailer. If you have a vehicle large enough, he'll just hitch the trailer to you vehicle. If not, you just use his truck to haul your golf cart in, then return to the parking lot with his truck/trailer, and collect yours. The process usually takes 45 minutes or so.

At the end, just reverse the process.

Call Kenny for more detail.

BTW. . . If you're only going to be there a few days this is probably not worth the hassle. If you're going to be there a week or longer, it is.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote