Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 19
Just did a week there. Typical Disney, top notch and spotless. EZ transportation. Well worth the few extra $
__________________

__________________
Sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
djbmsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,806
Here is a number of a Agent that lives in Ft Wilderness and books for us every year.
Her name is Hilda 302.598.8892 IF there are any openings she will have them for you.
Tell her you talked to Don (Segway)
__________________

__________________
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
dabrooks's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,000
I agree call Hilda!
__________________
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Fort Wilderness is really nice, especially if you are enjoying the various Disney theme parks. A couple of thoughts:
- Don't pay extra for a "Premium" or "Preferred" site. The "Full Hook-up" sites are just as nice, if not nicer and a little cheaper. The Premium / Preferred sites are a little closer to the docks/restaurant area but if you have a bike or a golf cart, it really isn't a factor.
- Getting anywhere at Disney from Fort Wilderness is possible via the Disney Transportation but it can take awhile. Your Wilderness reservation gives you free parking at any of the parks. We usually drove our toad unless we were going to the Magic Kingdom which is a fairly short and reliable boat ride. The bus transport system is much less reliable. You can often find yourself waiting quite awhile for a ride.
- If you have a pet, don't forget to ask for a pet loop. There are plenty of them but you can't have a pet with you on your site unless you are on a pet loop.

Regarding the second point, we couldn't disagree more. We have been for a week each of the last two spring breaks (so a busy time) and found the bus / boat system to be really good. I have never driven from FW to any of the parks but would think the drive and then walk in from the lots wouldn't be that much fun either. Just another opinion.
__________________
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
srh
Senior Member
 
srh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff1 View Post
Just did a week there. Typical Disney, top notch and spotless. EZ transportation. Well worth the few extra $
Thanks for the input. Did you have any difficulty parking your rig? Some say because of the trees it makes it difficult at times to get around.

Regards,
__________________
srh
2008 Signature
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #20
srh
Senior Member
 
srh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Here is a number of a Agent that lives in Ft Wilderness and books for us every year.
Her name is Hilda 302.598.8892 IF there are any openings she will have them for you.
Tell her you talked to Don (Segway)
Thanks, I'll do that!
__________________
srh
2008 Signature
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:04 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
RELHUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Regarding the second point, we couldn't disagree more. We have been for a week each of the last two spring breaks (so a busy time) and found the bus / boat system to be really good. I have never driven from FW to any of the parks but would think the drive and then walk in from the lots wouldn't be that much fun either. Just another opinion.


We also agree FW is the best and we always have so much fun, it is well worth the effort and money to book with FW. We stay 12 days every April and November, they only require a very small deposit.

We have found it is best to book next years visit while we are @ FW. If you need to change the dates it is easy or if you need to cancel they will issue you a refund.
__________________
GRV We love to Roam
2013 Georgetown
RELHUB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Theluckys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Fort Wilderness is really nice, especially if you are enjoying the various Disney theme parks. A couple of thoughts:
- Don't pay extra for a "Premium" or "Preferred" site. The "Full Hook-up" sites are just as nice, if not nicer and a little cheaper. The Premium / Preferred sites are a little closer to the docks/restaurant area but if you have a bike or a golf cart, it really isn't a factor.
- Getting anywhere at Disney from Fort Wilderness is possible via the Disney Transportation but it can take awhile. Your Wilderness reservation gives you free parking at any of the parks. We usually drove our toad unless we were going to the Magic Kingdom which is a fairly short and reliable boat ride. The bus transport system is much less reliable. You can often find yourself waiting quite awhile for a ride.
- If you have a pet, don't forget to ask for a pet loop. There are plenty of them but you can't have a pet with you on your site unless you are on a pet loop.
I thought that way once too but having stayed at Ft. Wilderness 12 times in the past 2 years my mindset has changed. Regarding your points:

1. With a 45' coach (I have a 45' Newmar Essex) stick to the Premium lots as they are in loops 6, 7, & 8 (these also allow pets). As for any spot at the end of the 600 loop vs. 600-620 as the early lots have little shade. Most lots in the 800 are fine and if they have the end of the 700 loop you'll be very close to the docks and Magic Kingdom transportation.

2. We USED to take a toad with us but since we rent a golf cart there really is no reason to take the toad. Yes you get free parking at the parks but the buses drop you off at the parks entrances and you don't wait any longer than 15 minutes. If you don't have a golf cart then I can understand having your toad but since we travel from SWF to Disney for a long weekend and have annual passes to all the parks my preference is to leave the car home.

3. The full hook up sites are smaller for 45' rigs and you'll have to have the rear wheels on the gravel at the rear of the site. In addition those loops are more narrow so if you're in the least bit worried about parking it stick to the premium sites.

4. The Premium sites have cable and if you go to the office they have a modem and splitter for internet. Their system is designed to hard wire laptop computers but we bring our wireless router and hook it up and viola we have a wireless network that is indeed high speed. There is free WiFi in the public spaces as well.
__________________
2006 Essex
Theluckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
Community Moderator
 
JMonroe's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Deer Creek RV and Golf Resort, Davenport FL
Posts: 6,854
There is a physical difference between the "full hook up" sites and the premium or preferred sites. The later have been updated with concrete aprons to the side and the back of the site has been paved where there used to be sand. These differences, on average, give more room for maneuvering and positioning a big rig.

Are there great sites in the full hookup area, absolutely, but even if I could give you specific site numbers (and I can't), you can't request a specific site.

This campground was developed in 1970-71 when a 25' travel trailer was considered a big rig.
__________________
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 390
- Renting a golf cart sounds attractive but we thought the $65 a day was a little steep.
- I wasn't aware of the cable vs no cable difference between a Premium and Full-Hookup Site or the Internet availability. Nice to know!
- As to the Bus vs Toad question, I want to clarify that I thought the Disney transportation system was fine. I didn't mean to say or imply it wasn't "reliable" because it definitely is reliable. They will get you wherever you need to go, eventually. But, our experience over the course of the first few days was that we often waited for 15-30 minutes on both ends. And, coming from Epcot to Fort Wilderness, the Bus goes to the Wilderness Lodge first before it goes to the Campground. So, we often prefered to drive. Parking was easy and we could have total control of our arrival and departure times. Like was said earlier, to each his own but I wouldn't want to be totally dependent on the bus system.

Love Fort Wilderness! Headed back again in March.
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon, Cookie & Coco
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
Freightliner / Cummins 340hp ISB
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 975
we use a travel agent who specializes in fort wilderness reservations she is good at getting us in. it costs you nothing(disney pays her commission) pm me and I will give her contact info
__________________
fla tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
DebnDan's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 229
We are there once a year or so and never pull a toad. Once on Disney property I leave the driving to them. They are very good at moving people. I always book the premium sites, for size, location and cable. Never rent a golf cart, we ride our bikes. In fact if there is one downside to FW, for me it is the golf carts. The older I get (51) the less I like campgrounds with kids in golf carts. With regard to waiting for the bus, I am as impatient as anybody but on vacation I'd rather have a cocktail and wait a few minutes for a ride then deal with driving, parking, etc. BTW this is the same reason I still use charcoal rather then a gas grill, what is an extra 15 minutes on VK when charcoal is allowed.


Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
__________________
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #27
Community Moderator
 
JMonroe's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Deer Creek RV and Golf Resort, Davenport FL
Posts: 6,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnDan View Post
We are there once a year or so and never pull a toad. Once on Disney property I leave the driving to them. They are very good at moving people. I always book the premium sites, for size, location and cable. Never rent a golf cart, we ride our bikes. In fact if there is one downside to FW, for me it is the golf carts. The older I get (51) the less I like campgrounds with kids in golf carts. With regard to waiting for the bus, I am as impatient as anybody but on vacation I'd rather have a cocktail and wait a few minutes for a ride then deal with driving, parking, etc. BTW this is the same reason I still use charcoal rather then a gas grill, what is an extra 15 minutes on VK when charcoal is allowed.


Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion

Dan, I could have written this post, especially the sentiments on the carts - except the charcoal grill part - don't want to put up with the mess anymore.
__________________
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #28
srh
Senior Member
 
srh's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
I thought that way once too but having stayed at Ft. Wilderness 12 times in the past 2 years my mindset has changed. Regarding your points:

1. With a 45' coach (I have a 45' Newmar Essex) stick to the Premium lots as they are in loops 6, 7, & 8 (these also allow pets). As for any spot at the end of the 600 loop vs. 600-620 as the early lots have little shade. Most lots in the 800 are fine and if they have the end of the 700 loop you'll be very close to the docks and Magic Kingdom transportation.

2. We USED to take a toad with us but since we rent a golf cart there really is no reason to take the toad. Yes you get free parking at the parks but the buses drop you off at the parks entrances and you don't wait any longer than 15 minutes. If you don't have a golf cart then I can understand having your toad but since we travel from SWF to Disney for a long weekend and have annual passes to all the parks my preference is to leave the car home.

3. The full hook up sites are smaller for 45' rigs and you'll have to have the rear wheels on the gravel at the rear of the site. In addition those loops are more narrow so if you're in the least bit worried about parking it stick to the premium sites.

4. The Premium sites have cable and if you go to the office they have a modem and splitter for internet. Their system is designed to hard wire laptop computers but we bring our wireless router and hook it up and viola we have a wireless network that is indeed high speed. There is free WiFi in the public spaces as well.
Thank you very much! I have three of the four nights we plan to be there booked; 6, 8, and 9. All I need is the 7th - hopefully that will come through as well. I very much appreciate all your comments!
Regards,
__________________

__________________
srh
2008 Signature
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fort Wilderness Feb 21-28 Any Golf suggestions? Acm210 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 7 02-23-2015 03:25 AM
Disney Fort Wilderness camprgounds..any gotchas Bad Bolt Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 29 08-22-2014 04:51 PM
Disney Fort Wilderness Advice britcon Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 15 05-18-2014 09:18 PM
Heading to Disney's Fort Wilderness Mgel2584 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 9 05-16-2014 10:45 PM
Fort wilderness mfd538 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 24 04-24-2014 04:33 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.