Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My only recommendation is ONLY get a Premium site. The standard will be too small and especially narrow. There is an app for Fort Wilderness sites that will give you pictures and dimensions of each site....You will see what I mean. You won't have any problem with your 45, I get around well enough at 42. As for dimensions, we usually stay in the 1300 loop and get a site that is 18 ft wide and 70+ ft deep. The preferred or standard are much smaller. Good luck!

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The app Gary is referring to is "Fort Wilderness Sites". If you can't find it that way look for "Fort Fiends".
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #31
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Update

I called Hilda, and she got me three nights(6, 7, and 8). I was able to get April 8, and 9 on a separate reservation directly through Disney. So, I'm all set. Thank you all for your pointers and advice!. Yes, I have it for Premium Sites.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input!

Regards to all!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 AM   #32

Evergreen Owners Club
We just spent four nights there and to be honest I was way less than impressed. I've stay at far better campgrounds for considerably less cost!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #33
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
We just spent four nights there and to be honest I was way less than impressed. I've stay at far better campgrounds for considerably less cost!
Now, you know! I have never been there. If my experience turns out to be the same as yours it might be the last time I go there too.
Thanks for chiming in!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #34

We stayed at FW in October in the 600 loop since we have a dog had a great time. Some say it's pricey I say location location for the money and what you get it's worth it. My personal experience is leave toad at home and bring your golf cart or rent one that's what we did and it worked out great.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #35
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
We stayed at FW in October in the 600 loop since we have a dog had a great time. Some say it's pricey I say location location for the money and what you get it's worth it. My personal experience is leave toad at home and bring your golf cart or rent one that's what we did and it worked out great.
That is what we are going to do! Since my coach is in FL, I will be driving the toad to get to it. But you have a good point! We do not have a pet and we will be in one of premium sites.
Thanks,
Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 AM   #36

Here's a picture of the 600 loop site.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424608167.592347.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	86718
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Hilda can also help with golf cart rental. They are not through Disney but are nice carts and much cheaper.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
As I recall, when renting a golf cart, I was told that they can't be driven out of the campsite. That is, not to the separate Disney Parks. I don't know what restrictions are, for personal golf carts, because I don't have one.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
Please, tell us where these are!

We've been travelling by RV for 35 years and I can't remember another with the full compliment of activities available at the Fort. Any one or more of the things to do or see might have been found somewhere along our travels, but we've missed any that was as comprehensive. Of course the loss of River Country and Discovery Island significantly impacted the Ft. Wilderness experience, but...

Not to mention that if you are in the area to specifically visit the Disney theme parks, as was said earlier, it's all about location, location, location. Of course your temporary residence at the Fort also gives you full access to the Disney transportation system, extended theme park hours, a viewing area for the night time water parade, and a "ticket" to the campfire showings of Disney movies, complete with s'mores and Disney characters.

I understand the price of a stay puts people off, but compare it to any of the other higher end RV parks in the immediate vicinity and it is not significantly higher and I've yet to be in one of those I personally thought measured up. If you're comparing the price to something in central Ohio, yup, it's pricey.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #40

Golf Carts stay in Ft Wilderness

You cannot take the golf carts to the parks. They can be driven around Ft Wilderness. You can take them to the boat launch to catch a boat to Magic Kingdom or to the bus stop up front to take a bus to the other parks.

Carts rented through disney are expensive, $60 a day. You can rent some from off site locations but Disney is cracking down on that. If you want to get one from an offsite location. You need to meet them offsite to pick up the golf cart. It has been done easily but I have not done it.

We have no problem walking or using our bikes, for us no reason to spend the money on a golf cart. We also prefer to drive to the parks except MK, we take the boat.

I too would like to know the other better campgrounds. We just got our RV so we don't have a lot of experience but I would love a place that looked similar to the Ft even without the Disney Parks. I like the trees, the flat paved campsites, the dog park, and lots of places to walk.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #41
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Here's a picture of the 600 loop site.Attachment 86718
Looks nice! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #42
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Hilda can also help with golf cart rental. They are not through Disney but are nice carts and much cheaper.
I'll contact her about it.
Thanks

Tags
advice