Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
Just as info. You can rent a power chair locally (Orlando) and have it delivered to the Fort. Just do a search, believe there are at least 3 Disney "approved" vendors. In my opinion don't sweat the water. Walmart, Publix and others are only about a 10 min drive away.
Hope you enjoy your visit to the Fort!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #16

I am not sure the launches that go from the Fort to DW or the Contemporary Hotel have a ramp for the wheel chair or scooter. You might have to use the buses. There is a way you can request a specific site. If you look up Fortfeinds.net you can download their app that has a picture and description of every site. You can then use the form they have to fax in a specific site request. You have to do that 2 weeks before your arrival. The rest rooms are spotless and completely ADA compliant with ample room in each shower. Have fun

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Do they run any promotions for discounts or are there times of the year when rates are different?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are two sizes of boats to take you to the Magic Kingdom. The smaller ones will not accommodate a wheelchair or power chair. You'll want to double check, but I'm fairly certain the larger launches will.

The rates do differ depending on what time of year you go. You can check the Disney web site for the particulars. The cool thing is, the lower rates mean you'll have smaller crowds too!
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 AM   #19

My mom is not able to use the rental units, as her situation is unique. Heck, I've rented those scooters and they are well worth the cost. These parks are so big and I'm not so young anymore that I don't care what people think. I feel great at the end of the day when most people my age are feeling the pain of walking for miles on concrete and standing in long lines. Not for me. I'll pay my dues and stay fresh through the entire two weeks we're there. It's only money and I'm spending it now, as I have no children to will my fortune to.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #20

Rexhall Owners Group
Powerchairs can ONLY go on the launch with the green flag which goes directly to the Magic Kingdom. At times, the launch has a green/red flag which means it will also stop at the Wilderness Lodge. There is no ramp to get on the launches. Sometimes the dock and launch heights are mismatched. Disney cast members are not allowed to physically assist (push/pull/lift) getting the chair on/off the launch. They will, however, get people to move so the launch will tip more to one side helping to level the two out. So be sure somebody is there to assist the power chair user. You cannot get a power chair on a launch that goes to the Contemporary. Only the small launches go to the Contemporary. You must get there by car, bus or monorail.

Powerchair Rentals: Places that rent powerchairs also have technicians that can repair them, some will even come to your site. If special attachments are required for the power chair, they may also have those available. You might want to give them a call to discuss before you bring another heavy chair.

Discounts: Only discount available anymore for campsites is AAA. All the rest have been discontinued. And there is no guarantee AAA will be available for your stay or if it will be available for a Premium site. Keep calling and checking to see if AAA can be applied to your reservation (assuming you have AAA).

Rates: AllEars.net provides a nice little chart of the rates. Look here: Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Fact Sheet
Lower rates do not always mean smaller crowds. Lower rates during winter in Florida (January) also means its spring/summer in some foreign countries which means that you could possibly run into some huge tour groups. There are also race weekends, cheerleader competition time, etc., and some winter holiday weekends (President's Day) that can get very busy, especially at Magic Kingdom. Maybe not as mobbed as spring/summer in Florida, but still very busy.

Sites: Again, you can call or fax in a request, but there are no guarantees you will get that specific site. If you don't like your site, call the front desk and ask about getting it changed. Fort Fiends does indeed have a very nice app showing most all the sites with their measurements and where the utilities are located and indicating the degree of difficulty in accessing the site.

Don't forget sign into "My Disney Experience" If you have time, you can customize (by color and name) your MagicBands, otherwise you will get the standard gray bands when you check in. Among other things, you can link your tickets to the MagicBand for entrance into the parks and also to get your FastPass+ (there are no more paper Fast Passes available).

One more thing, if the power chair is used for something OTHER than a mobility issue, the user may be able to get a Disability Access Card (DAS) to use for assistance getting onto an attraction. DAS is strictly for persons who are unable, for one reason or another, to be standing/waiting in attraction lines. There is a whole set of rules and regulations around receiving one of these cards. But it can be very useful if you have somebody with issues other than just mobility. DAS cards are issued at Guest Services in each of the parks. Some attractions (like Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain) may have stairs or are otherwise unable to be used by power chairs. At those attractions, if you don't have a FastPass+ you will need to get a wheelchair access card which will give you a return time to come back and ride the attraction by going through the FastPass+ line. The return time on the card will be set at whatever the current wait time is less 10 minutes.

When you enter one of the parks be sure to pick up a Disability brochure. It will tell you what attractions are mainstreamed and which you will need to get a wheelchair card. It will also show you where Companion Bathrooms are located and other Handicapped bathrooms.

When are you coming? We're here frequently and would be happy to meet and give you anymore information, tips we might have available. Send me a PM with your info if you want.

There are ways to get just about anything you need that you may have forgotten, but most importantly, HAVE FUN !
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Bad Bolt and Family....It was so nice to meet y'all at the Fort today and to hear you are enjoying your trip. Good luck with your new motorhome and happy travels!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #22

Same here...very surprised that you found us. We are having a super time going slow and avoiding the usual mad runs all over the Disney parks. We will surely do the campgrounds again. Mom is just fine with the pace of things. The 1.2 mil King Aire checked out...wow...what a coach!
Looks like some good weather now...

Good times!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We have reservations and are headed to Fort Wilderness just after Thanksgiving, can't wait!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboz2 View Post
We have reservations and are headed to Fort Wilderness just after Thanksgiving, can't wait!
Good for you. It's a special place where you can hear yourself think. Sure would love to be there now.

There is a good chance we may do a trip to the keys this late year or early new year. Sure hope we can do it. First, is a trip out east for the fall colors...
Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
We are heading to the Fort the end of Sept for 9 days. First time at the fort! Booked a premium pet site. We also have one other RV coming with us and some friends who have rented a cabin. I'm assuming Disney and the fort won't be really busy that time of year, right? We haven't booked any resturants or fast pass yet. We can do that when we get there, right?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We are heading to the Fort the end of Sept for 9 days. First time at the fort! Booked a premium pet site. We also have one other RV coming with us and some friends who have rented a cabin. I'm assuming Disney and the fort won't be really busy that time of year, right? We haven't booked any resturants or fast pass yet. We can do that when we get there, right?
We are heading to FW the first of October,my advise is get on mydisneyexperience and book what you can as soon as you can or before. We booked resturants 180 days out and had a hard time.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #27

Just in case you did not know, the restaurant next to the Hoopty Do Review has THE best buffet breakfast, hands down compared to all the other resorts I've been to. Don't miss out on that one.

Also try to book the Polynesian Luau. It's a great place for an evening show and dinner.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #28
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Book resturants now if you have a special one in mind. Getting reservations is getting to be a pain with the invention of the Meal Plans.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote