Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #29

I have been there twice in the last month. No need for satellite is your TVs do HD. There is HD cable TV at all of the sites. I think there 60-70 channels or so. Everything was pretty clean. We watched the site next to us being cleaned an hour or so after we left. Everything was picked up, straightened up and sprayed down. People came through the loop to pick up trash cans several times a day.

Best deal for us was the take out Fried Chicken dinner from P&Js takeout Pioneer Hall.. Enough for a family of 4 for $25. The Pizza, though not the best was not bad and was also a pretty good deal for Disney. We stayed the first time on the 500 loop. Very Big and close to everything. We stayed on the 1600 loop the second time, and much further away from the action. The site was still fair sized and waistless money.

Don
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, FL
The conFUSEd RVer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #30

be there in July 2016 and cant wait!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #31

We were there last month. Based on comments on IRV2, I asked about 600 loop at check in and they found me a spot. They rank the level of difficulty for backing in to your site on a scale of 1 to 4, with 4 being the easiest. Since it was my first back in site (we're new to RVing), I asked for a #4 site on the 600 loop. No problem! After backing in, I decided I could have handled getting in to just about any of the sites. A couple of them though... the owner of the rig must have been a magician ;-)

We found the park to be absolutely spotless. The cable modem was free of charge, but they would charge you for the equipment if you drive off with it. Cable TV was great and if you don't have a newer rig with HD flat screens, they provide a free cable box if needed. The office doesn't open until 8am, so if you are getting an early start you should remember to return the equipment the day before because there is no drop box provided.

The person signing out the modem equipment informed me that the entire Fort has recently been wired for WiFi and that they expect it to be up and running soon. As I walked back to the rig I did notice several new WiFi access points hidden here and there.

We used to live about 30 minutes from Disney and would always get annual family passes. The advent of the "Magic Bands" since we moved away was one of the best features. If you are not aware, this is a wrist band that you can add a credit card to. Payment throughout all of Disney World is as easy as setting you wrist band on a device and then providing your pin. It also opens the gate to the Fort and restroom/laundry facilities after hours.

Can't wait to go back!
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 AM   #32

Just Returned

We just returned from our annual 9 week stay at Ft. Wilderness.

The campsites were clean, as were the comfort stations and laundry rooms (Not sure what the gentleman was talking about the place being trashy).

The premium campsites definitely have more room and less of that awful sandy stuff around the site. For us, it's the only way to go. There is an app called Fort Fiends that show pictures and give measurements of the campsites. I've been told by someone who lives at Ft. Wilderness (yes-she's lived there for 6 years!!! I'm so jealous) that the difficulty ratings are out of date.

Also, the WiFi was supposed to be turned on at the end of February, but it didn't happen. I never did hear a new date of activation.

Just so everyone knows-there are no longer ANY discounts for Ft. Wilderness-they even discontinued the Winter Settler Rates-darn!

You don't pay to rent the Internet equipment-you just have to go to the Meadows and sign it out. As one user said-if you drive off with it, they will charge you.

Kate
2015 Thor Tuscany-45' aptly named "The Beast"
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
We are heading to Ft. Wilderness in early November. It will be right when they start the Christmas decorating. We will be there for 5 nights which is 4 full days. It will be just myself and my wife. Would it be better to do a park each day or spread 3 parks over the 4 day period? Also aren't there bus stops through out the park?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #34

We usually do one park per day. But we have small kids, which makes park hopping more difficult.

The bus stops within the park are for the internal shuttle system that takes you to the main bus stop (front of park) for transfer to Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood studios and Disney Springs; and the boat dock in the back of the park for transfer to the Magic Kingdom. The alternative is to walk, bike or golf cart to those locations.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #35

We live nearby and go to Ft Wilderness frequently and also just go to the parks from home. We generally do one park per visit. We rarely use the transportation system to get between parks because the lines can be very long. We generally drive between the parks (our annual pass comes with "free" parking). Figure on around an hour to get between one park and another.

Also, get magic bands and plan your rides using fast pass. It guarantees you'll get at least 3 rides per day in with no long wait. You can always use park apps to see wait times to fit other rides in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We are heading to Ft. Wilderness in early November. It will be right when they start the Christmas decorating. We will be there for 5 nights which is 4 full days. It will be just myself and my wife. Would it be better to do a park each day or spread 3 parks over the 4 day period? Also aren't there bus stops through out the park?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
We are looking at the Park Hopper option where we can go back and forth to check on our Yorkie.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We are looking at the Park Hopper option where we can go back and forth to check on our Yorkie.

That's exactly what we do. Having the hopper pass allows us to come and go all day. This way we can return to the campground, check the dogs. Eat some lunch. Take a nap... Then head back to the park for more fun.

Particularly handy when the parks offer extended hours and we know we'll be out late as a result.

To the OP. The DW and I have found that having a "vegetation day" where we just hang around Fort Wilderness and rest keeps us from feeling too beat up. A day of rest if you will. Too much fun can really wear you out!😄
Old 06-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #38
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You may not need "Park Hopper" passes to re-enter the same park on the same day. Just a hand stamp and your original pass or magic band.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
You may not need "Park Hopper" passes to re-enter the same park on the same day. Just a hand stamp and your original pass or magic band.
Good Catch! You are absolutely right.

I've gotten so used to having the hopper pass I forget that if you're going in and out of the same park there are other ways to accomplish it.

We like the hopper pass because we'll often go to the Animal Kingdom in the morning (when the animals seem to be more active) and do one of the other parks in the afternoon into the night.

The hopper pass does cost a bit more, but hey... we're at Disney and the wife is happy! It's Magical!
Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't know what the price difference is, or your stamina. There was a time when we'd be at one of the parks at rope drop and stay well into the night, but no more. If we were making a special trip to the World we'd no doubt plan on no more than one park per day.

You can re-enter the same park any number of times in the same day. No hand stamp needed. All your information will be coded into your magic band or card.

If staying at the Fort we'll take the boat directly from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom but for all others we'll take our own car. Disney internal transportation is very good, but plan on an hour from site to theme park, half that (or less) if you take your own car.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I don't know what the price difference is, or your stamina. There was a time when we'd be at one of the parks at rope drop and stay well into the night, but no more. If we were making a special trip to the World we'd no doubt plan on no more than one park per day.

You can re-enter the same park any number of times in the same day. No hand stamp needed. All your information will be coded into your magic band or card.

If staying at the Fort we'll take the boat directly from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom but for all others we'll take our own car. Disney internal transportation is very good, but plan on an hour from site to theme park, half that (or less) if you take your own car.
Do you have to pay extra for driving your car and parking?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #42

No. Free parking to the parks when you stay at any of their resort properties including Fort Wilderness.