Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Disney.... Here we come

The Enterprize has been in dock for way to long. Took here out for a little stretch today. By the end of the day my son and I have decided that we will be heading to Disney for 7 days in the beginning of March.
I am very exited to get back on the road. It has been way to long.. End of October...... I know seems like forever......
I am looking forward to getting all systems back on line and outfitted for the trip.....

Do you guys have any experiences with the RV park at Disney. We will have one or 2 of our pups along, and we will only bring 2 bicycles.....
Is there a better place on the RV loops to stay, especially with Satellite?

Thanks for any feedback you guys have
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #2

We're there right now for the weekend. If you're looking for good satillite reception ask for an unshaded site. I think 600 loop is very open with few trees. They won't let you reserve a specific site, but you can tell them you prefer a specific loop. If you've got a fixed dish on your roof it might be tough dodging trees. I have a backup portable dish. They also have decent cable and are very proud to announce an actual channel guide!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Check out the fort fiends website - tons of information about which loops to stay at and such. There is at least one loop aimed at being pet friendly - though if your pets are properly coralled, you can stay with them essentially anywhere.

Fort Wilderness is great, lots of fun - lots of activities. We rented a cart while there from Kenny's carts - it was a great way of getting around, although the bus system in the loops are pretty good.

Most of the loops are pretty good - but try and get a site that is AWAY from the bus stops - lots of noise from them.....
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great feedback, the Cart rental is that a golf cart?
Old 01-29-2016, 04:58 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Was there last week, short pads, butts and bottle caps all over the site, trash in barbeque looks like it's been there awhile, rotten wood above motorhome, sand, sand sand, everywhere wet or dry it's getting in. The place has suffered from neglect in a big way, will not stay there again. You can complain to deaf ears but it won't help.
Hope your stay is better than ours was.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #6
YC1

Start calling for reservations now. If you can, go to the dinner show at the whoop de do. Great food and fun show for everyone.

There are sites close to the dog run if you like those. Not good satellite spots though. I had to set up my portable dish and shoot a pinhole through the trees.

If you want good internet, as for one of their modem setups. It plugs into the park cable and gives you a local hot spot.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #7

Not sure which Ft Wilderness you stayed at. We go there at least 4 times a year. We are there right now. Some areas are better than others and maybe you hit a bad spot on a bad day, but I've never experienced anything like you've described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
Was there last week, short pads, butts and bottle caps all over the site, trash in barbeque looks like it's been there awhile, rotten wood above motorhome, sand, sand sand, everywhere wet or dry it's getting in. The place has suffered from neglect in a big way, will not stay there again. You can complain to deaf ears but it won't help.
Hope your stay is better than ours was.
Mrfix
Old 01-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

Golf carts are great at FW. The rent them there but like everything else at Disney you pay a premium. I'm told they no longer allow off site rentals to be delivered to the campground, so if you rent one from Simone other than Disney you'd have to haul it there.

If you're going to rent a golf cart at FW call ahead and reserve it. We've been there a couple of times and they have been sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
Great feedback, the Cart rental is that a golf cart?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You wil love Fort Wilderness. I'm assuming the member that complained of sand was not on one of the "premium" sites, which you'll definitely want for your big rig. (That said, anytime I had the least bit of concern or a question any employee, even the "garbageman" would go out of their way to help us).

The only loop with a number of "open" sites is the 600 loop, but not all of them will be satellite compatible either. Thoughout the park there may be a few isolated sites where you'll get reception, but don't count on it. The entire park is heavily wooded. Anytime we stay there we just assume we will not have satellite reception (and there's so much to do, we don't miss having the TV anyway).

If you haven't already made reservations, do so. If you're going anywhere near Easter you may already be too late. Once you have reservations you can start making dining reservations for restaurants on the property and 60 days before your arrival you can begin making fast pass reservations. If you don't already know what those are, do some homework. It's really a necessity anymore.

We've been to the Fort many times over the years, having spent a lot of our alloted vacation time over those years at the Fort. We haven't been for a number of years now that we winter 20 minutes away. Recently I decided that just couldn't go on any longer and I've made reservations for a week next December. That will be a very short day on the road.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

I usually stay in 600 loop. Try to get in the lower number 600's for satellite reception as from around 619 and up are pretty shaded. I'll be there end of February for a 1.5 week stay. It's the cleanest most well kept CG I've ever stayed in. I love it there and try to go every year.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
I usually stay in 600 loop. Try to get in the lower number 600's for satellite reception as from around 619 and up are pretty shaded. I'll be there end of February for a 1.5 week stay. It's the cleanest most well kept CG I've ever stayed in. I love it there and try to go every year.

Thanks for all the feedback, we will be there the first weekend in March. I had no issues getting a reservation for the 5 days. I will call back and see about the lower 600 loop.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We are taking our new rig down to the fort in a month. As previously stated the fort friends is a great website but there's also an app with photos and dimensions of each site. Very helpful.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were there about four years ago for a week. My only complaint was the sorry box they rented me for WiFi. It was poor at best.

How is the Wifi there now?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #14

Yes - Cart Rental refers to Golf Carts. Alas, while Disney used to permit delivery of the cart, they stopped that a little while back. You can however, go and pick up your own cart. We used Kenny's Carts - substantially cheaper than going through Disney. We arranged everything on-line - and they called us a few days before to arrange pick up. When we picked the carts up, we met up with Kenny off site, and used his truck and trailer to drop off the cart, then returned his equipment to him. We were there for 10 days, so the savings over renting from Disney were substantial. The carts are VERY useful.

You'll have a blast, and we are envious - thinking of returning in a couple of years.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote