Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone camp in Wisconsin

Does anyone camp in Wisconsin or am I the only one. All I see is Fla. Calif. Yellowstone you get the drift if you know what I mean. All these places are wonderful and I have been to a few but sometime I like to hear about some little State or county park that someone went to. I guess that I like to stick up for our beautiful state that I like to travel around and enjoy. There I got that off my chest and feel a little better. I guess I'm just jealous that I'm still working and can only enjoy on weekends and when I have vacation time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #2

My wife and I have heard many wonderful stories about how beautiful Wisconsin is and have thought many times about visiting. Door county sounds particularly intriguing and I understand there is a ferry somewhere that crosses to Michigan. How accessible are the attractions and where can one find additional info?
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Does anyone camp in Wisconsin or am I the only one. All I see is Fla. Calif. Yellowstone you get the drift if you know what I mean. All these places are wonderful and I have been to a few but sometime I like to hear about some little State or county park that someone went to. I guess that I like to stick up for our beautiful state that I like to travel around and enjoy. There I got that off my chest and feel a little better. I guess I'm just jealous that I'm still working and can only enjoy on weekends and when I have vacation time.
...now back to CA after a word from our sponsors
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two ferries, one from Milwaukee (not sure where it goes in Michigan) and the other is SS Badger, Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI.
Here is the website for Badger:
S.S. Badger
Its about $70 per person + $6.00p/foot for RVs. Not cheap, but a fun trip. Badger is the last coal burning steamship in the US, I think. Due to EPA dictates, it's future is in doubt.
Wisconsin is a wonderful state, beautiful, especially northern Wisconsin. I'm partial to the areas around Lake Michigan, as we're former sail boaters and spent a lot of time harbor hopping.
The worst part about Wisconsin is we have to get through Illinois to get to it!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

I've been to Wisconson on business and with an RV and you have a lot to be proud of. The reason that you see so many out of state tags is that other folks think so too. Wondeful state and some of the nicest people I've had to pleasure of dealing with

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #6

It is a beautiful state. I would encourage you as you explore it, put your reviews on this site. I know there are other review sites, but I like this community as a one stop shop. I have posted a couple of Illinois state parks on this site since we started camping, and I hope to add many more. We're thinking Kettle Morraine in WI the end of July...
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hey rvjimmy, I'm just down the road a piece from you. Although I'm now retired, that's a relatively recent situation. Most of our RV adventures over the last 30 years have been in state, with many vacations out of state. It was always difficult to get into our state parks on weekends and holidays, now it's impossible. We always complained that we couldn't get in because they were full of out of staters! This year it's been local rallies (Badger chapter of the FMCA), monthly trips to Madison, a family gathering in Tomahawk and we hope to get a few days up in Door County sometime this year yet. We'll be camping over our anniversary at the North Star Cassino and will be meeting friends for my birthday at Bong recreation area, south of Milwaukee.

There's no shortage of great places to visit here, as always it's getting the time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
radams you will enjoy Door County it has orchards and wineries as well as a lot of little shops and most of all good ice cream. Bucksmom kettle moraine is a nice area and if in the southern unit take in old world Wisconsin it is a cool spot if you like to see old ethnic farmsteads and buildings from a early era,just find it on-line they have a website I'm sure. There is also a northern unit too but I haven't been around it much.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

We camp a lot in Wisconsin. We camp mostly in the State Parks, which are beautiful. The best is Peninsula in Door County. A great biking State Park. We also camp in other State Parks and the State Forests in the Minocqua and Boulder Junction areas. The State Forests have no eletric sites but are great and quiet also with good and paved bike trails.
Pinecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just arrived at Hiawatha Trailer Park outside Minocqua. Beautiful drive up from St Charles, MN. We look forward to some sightseeing here prior to heading to the UP. Thankfully it is cooler here, although lately that is relative.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #11

Park Falls city CG

Park Falls has a very nice campground East of the river by the Park Falls Boy Scouts office building. It has 10 sites, blacktopped, with water and electricity, with site #5 having the only sewer hookup. Otherwise dumping is free at the Municipal Garage (about six blocks South) There is a nice playground for kids, a fishing pier on the river, shade trees (some), picnic tables and grills at each site. There is a bathroom facility, but without showers. The boat launch is on the North end of the park, within walking distance from the CG.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Just arrived at Hiawatha Trailer Park outside Minocqua. Beautiful drive up from St Charles, MN. We look forward to some sightseeing here prior to heading to the UP. Thankfully it is cooler here, although lately that is relative.
Been up into the 90's here for a few days with more temperatures like that forecast.

That's HOT up here
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #13

Heading to Bailyes Harbor on Friday for a couple of days. Dinner reservations for lobster at 7pm. Should be fun, first time with the motorhome and been 30 years since I have been to Door County.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #14

Ed,

You have fun up there in Door County. Go to Al's Rest in Sister Bay for breakfast that is very good. Good Swedish pancakes with Swedish meetballs.
Pinecountry is offline   Reply With Quote