Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #1

Doing it the right way?

We decided we are going to sell the house and we moved into our new rv for a while. Would like to head to the Chattanooga area maybe next year. Tired of this area and the winter. Maybe find a nice cg and explore living options. Not 100% married to that part of the country but I hear cost of living is decent there. Change scares me but I want to leave Indiana. Been here all my life and need to explore. Any suggestions as to cg or another area to look at?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Grand Design Solitude 369FL
Fredandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

Fred:

Haven't been to the Chattanooga area, but we were in the Crossville area of TN for the month of September this year. It's on the 'plateau' between Knoxville and Nashville off I40. Nice place. Cost of living isn't too bad, but the state sales tax is pretty hefty, I think it was something like 9.75%, so when added on to your food/alcohol purchases it adds up. We stayed at a campground called Deer Run RV Resort. Only one side will remain open for the entire year, but I think they turn the water off, so that would have to be considered if staying long term. There is another CG called Springlake RV Resort that stays open all year.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

If you're tired of the winters in Indiana you'll still have winter (ice storms) in Chattanooga. Why not explore further south during the winter?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're tired of the winters in Indiana you'll still have winter (ice storms) in Chattanooga. Why not explore further south during the winter?

I thought it wouldn't be as nasty a winter. Are there inexpensive locations on further south?

Jeff and Kathy
Indiana

Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fredandfred,
Welcome to iRV2. Think about how you will spend a typical year. Are you going to be warm all year? Traveling to avoid being too hot or too cold? Are you going to stay in one place regardless of the weather?

1. In Florida anything north of I4 and central to the west side is a low cost of living. Mild winters and hot in the summer.
2. Southern AL and GA is the same as northern Florida.
3. Anything along the gulf coast runs the risk of hurricanes.
4. The areas mentioned above are low cost of living because there is not much entertainment in the areas. There is some, but not much. This also goes for Crossville, mentioned in an earlier post. However, this might be what you are looking for.

Consider having a place where it is warm in the winter and cooler in the summer, with different entertainment available.
1. The area around the Smoky Mountains is something to consider. The NC side is cooler than the Tennessee side. One can obtain a place for an RV at a higher elevation in NC than in Tenn. However, the Tenn. side has Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. There is a considerable amount of entertainment in these communities. Both NC and Tenn. have the Smoky Mountain National Park.
2. For me, these areas are too cold for the winter. It is down to Florida for the winter.
3. The above mentioned scenario is valid for several areas of the country. This post could become a book with all the choices.

Figure out what you want to do (once place or two places). Post here for additional information. It might take a year or two for you to get your head around being where it is warm all year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
A location to consider is southern AZ. We stay in the Yuma area and find the winter really nice. It is currently 75 there.

Summers we move farther north.

Cost of living is reasonable. Well actually it makes going north depressing when it comes to costs.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #7

You have a lot of research to do. It seems like you want to find a permanent place rather than traveling in your RV. Each state has different tax laws and that should be one of your main criteria for moving to a particular state or area. Medical insurance will be different if you're not on Medicare. Vehicle insurance/registration, etc. will be different. What is good for one person may not be good for another.

Yes, there are many areas further south to really get out of the cold winters and have at least nine months of nice weather. Far south it will be hot and humid and if that doesn't bother you there are many options for you. I hope someone will chime in to give you more ideas of where to start looking but I think Chattanooga would not be at the top of list for us to avoid winter weather. As people age they have a hard time taking the dampness, too.

I might recommend to take a couple months this winter and stay in a RV park in Chattanooga to see how you handle it. Move further south to experience another area. Test out different areas.

Ourselves...we began full-time RVing 18 years ago out of Michigan and we settled in Arizona - a place we never dreamed we would settle. Arizona has many elevation changes so in the heat of summer we'll escape to Arizona's mountain areas for much cooler temps. For nine months or so, southern Arizona can't be beat and millions live year-round because it's a 'dry heat' - not humid. So they say......
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #8

I think the Chattanooga area is a great choice, but it does still get pretty cold there. Temps in December through February in the teens and twentys can be normal because you are around 1,000' elevation. Go in almost any direction a few miles and you are considerably higher. North GA, eastern TN and western NC are wonderful the other 9 months of the year. The highest elevation east of the Mississippi is Mt Mitchell(6,680') in NC near Ashville.
The advantage of Chattanooga during those cold months is that you can be by the ocean in just about 6 or 7hrs (Savannah or Gulf coast) for some milder weather. Just pick-up and go!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

Doing it the right way?

Lots of good info. I appreciate it all. I don't mind a little cold weather but 4 or 5 months of real cold (Indiana), is just too much. Seems that Florida is too hot and humid. Arizona sounds great but straying too far from our kids isn't what we want. The plan would be find somewhere we like, purchase or lease a permanent place and maybe downsize the rv. We aren't getting younger and just now have the bug for a change. Being around a lot of entertainment isn't that important. Finding friends and pitch in dinners and euchre are fine for us. Finding people who play euchre in the south is a challenge too. Lol

Jeff and Kathy
Indiana

Old 12-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #10

As many have said, Chattanooga is going to be cold in the winter.
We live in West Tennessee and I'm not sure I would want to spend the winter in a RV here and Chattanooga is usually a little colder than we are.
With that being said, it is a beautiful place with much in the area to see and do.
You would have 3 seasons of very nice weather.
I think I would try it temporary before making to many plans.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #11

You won't find hot or really humid in FL in the winter until you get WAY down there. Like past Tampa.
My dad lives in Key Largo year round and loves it in the winter.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
You won't find hot or really humid in FL in the winter until you get WAY down there. Like past Tampa.
My dad lives in Key Largo year round and loves it in the winter.

We visited our daughter in college in West Palm Beach and I about melted. Granted it was in the summer but wow it was toasty.

Jeff and Kathy
Indiana

Old 12-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
As many have said, Chattanooga is going to be cold in the winter.

We live in West Tennessee and I'm not sure I would want to spend the winter in a RV here and Chattanooga is usually a little colder than we are.

With that being said, it is a beautiful place with much in the area to see and do.

You would have 3 seasons of very nice weather.

I think I would try it temporary before making to many plans.

We have a son in school in Jackson and it does get cool. We are just tired of single digits and gobs of snow. A little is fine.

Jeff and Kathy
Indiana

Old 12-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredandfred View Post
We visited our daughter in college in West Palm Beach and I about melted. Granted it was in the summer but wow it was toasty.

Jeff and Kathy
Indiana

Sure, in the summer. But even in the summer, it's cooler and more comfortable in the Keys than anywhere in central FL because the water and wind sort of dictate the temperature.