Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dothan, AL Walmart

Has anyone ever spent the night here (S. Oates St.) Is this a nice area? We would arrive about 9 pm and be out about 7 am the next day. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No over night allowed in Dothan except in RV Parks. Been there and told we had to leave by city cops at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. local ordinance. Not a friendly city. safe travels...ed

Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No Bass Pro in the area so I recommend going to
Cracker Barrel located at 3431 Ross Clark Circle
Dothan, AL 36303-2579 / Ross Clark Ave.& US 231 N.
Tel: (334) 673-8454

Cracker Barrels are RV friendly and have great food.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
No over night allowed in Dothan except in RV Parks. Been there and told we had to leave by city cops at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. local ordinance. Not a friendly city. safe travels...ed
Hmmmm - looked up Dothan Al on my Allstays app. It shows Walmart OK for parking (at least it does not show as "no parking") and just up the road on S. Oak St there is a FJ with normal Parking and dump facilities.

Are the Allstays listings wrong? Did not bother to call the facilities to confirm but if I was going there I would.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Pecan Point when we visited there. At the time all they had where showers and laundry room. 3 yrs ago I think we payed 20-25 a night. Nice and quiet.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. I did see the all stays app said is was ok to park, never had had it be wrong before, but good to know it could be wrong from time to time. Sounds like there are other options out there!!

Does Bass Pro Shop allow you to park overnight? Never heard that one.

Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #7

Just checked "overnightrvparking.com" and it says FJ has RV parking, dump etc. Also allowing overnight parking is Camping World, 2961 Ross Clark Circle SW, as of report on 13 April 2013, has power hookups and dump stn. Sams club near CW also allows parking as does the WM supercenter store 2534 tel: 334-702-1310, on South Oak St and the WM store #604 on Montgomery Hwy,

It is interesting that Cracker Barrel on 3431 Ross Clark Cir does not allow RV parking according to this list, but the last update was Nov 2011, so that may have changed by now.

I use "overnightrvparking" quite a bit to check places Allstays does not list, I download the PDF files by State/Province as required and find the information a usefull supplement to the other stuff I use. It does cost about $25 per year for membership to get the downloads but some of the info is dated and requires checking.

Anyway, contrary to what one poster said about the ordinance banning RV parking in Dothan except in RV parks, the listings seem to contradict this assertion. Just saying, somebody is out to lunch or perhaps had a liquid lunch that has not worn off yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the web site, never heard of it!!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

You are welcome - hope you have a good trip.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #10

There is a rest area just north of Dothan that we have stayed at twice. It has RV/ truck parking in the rear and is nice other than the trucks coming and going. There is another rest area south of Dothan nearer to the Fla state line that does not allow overnights.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
We stayed at Pecan Point when we visited there. At the time all they had where showers and laundry room. 3 yrs ago I think we payed 20-25 a night. Nice and quiet.
Yes we stayed at Pecan Point also. Parked up close to the road, facing it. Noisy except the traffic does thin out late at night. Just before arriving at Pecan Point, we drove the bus with toad into the Wal-Mart up the street. Wife shopped while I took a leg stretch walk around. No signs posted anywhere restricting RV overnighting. There were three RVs already in the lot that seemed to be settled in for the evening.

We are not frequent Wal-Mart overnighters, but when we do it, I always carefully check the entry/exit and parking layout on Google satellite maps. I find that AllStays app is pretty good for that as well as informative concerning parking restricted Wal-Marts. I've never been able to get the bus into Cracker Barrel RV parking lots. They are probably OK for shorter RVs.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Are the Allstays listings wrong? Did not bother to call the facilities to confirm but if I was going there I would.
I do not know but laws change faster than web pages. and I do know that on some other issues the web pages are often wrong, (Other web pages), which is why I recommend doing one's own research.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I do not know but laws change faster than web pages. and I do know that on some other issues the web pages are often wrong, (Other web pages), which is why I recommend doing one's own research.
Agree, As I said, if I was going there I would call.