Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #1

We've been staying in Mesa AZ trying our hardest to stay warm, and decided to drive the Apache Trail which leaves out of Apache Junction, and crosses over the Superstition Mountains 40 miles to Globe

The trail is beautiful scenery, but I dont think I'd recommend anyone to do it with their RV in Tow. You can make it up to Tortilla Flats no problem, albeit very slow, where there is a full service campground.

But after Tortilla Flats, the road narrows, becomes dirt and isnt recommended for anything above 40'

There is the Elvis Church which was from one of the King's movies along the trail

An old spooky Bordello in Goldfield

Breathtaking views of Canyon Lake

Heart Pounding views out the windshield by the Fish Creek area

And just plain ol' amazing views almost anywhere you look Full Gallery Here

If in the Phoenix area, this is a days drive that is well worth your time

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

We've been staying in Mesa AZ trying our hardest to stay warm, and decided to drive the Apache Trail which leaves out of Apache Junction, and crosses over the Superstition Mountains 40 miles to Globe

The trail is beautiful scenery, but I dont think I'd recommend anyone to do it with their RV in Tow. You can make it up to Tortilla Flats no problem, albeit very slow, where there is a full service campground.

But after Tortilla Flats, the road narrows, becomes dirt and isnt recommended for anything above 40'

There is the Elvis Church which was from one of the King's movies along the trail

An old spooky Bordello in Goldfield

Breathtaking views of Canyon Lake

Heart Pounding views out the windshield by the Fish Creek area

And just plain ol' amazing views almost anywhere you look Full Gallery Here

If in the Phoenix area, this is a days drive that is well worth your time

Pat

Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Very Nice photo essay.

Thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
The shot with the moon is amazing. Great job!

Equipment?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #5

Did the trail last June in a rental jeep.We had a blast,great scenery.I dont think I would try driving an RV on it ,though.There is a couple of stretches that are single lane. Thanks for bringing back some cool memories.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Great pics, as always. That road is awesome, but not for the faint of heart. Very windy, very narrow, sheer drops off the edge of the road... But, beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #7

Oh I wouldnt recommend it to anyone in an RV. You can drive the RV as far as Tortilla Flats where there is a camp ground, but even that far is going to be slow going.

Any farther than that, and I'd only be in a small vehicle. Our big F250 seemed like it was going to go over the edge a few different times.

It's worth the drive if you're going to be traveling through the Phoenix area though. Beautiful scenery and just a fun day behind the wheel.

Glad you liked the photos

Pat

Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the pictures, brings back many memories, have driven over the "trail" many times, the latest in Nov 2007. It is always a treat. Try it at night sometime if you want to really experience some quite and a desert night, it's awesome.

There are many sure roads close to Mesa, Apache Junction, try obtaining the Arizona Backroads books and you will see a lot of scenery. Most are doable with a 2 wheel drive pick-up.

2005 Dodge Cummins Big Horn Edition
tamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #9

I cant believe ive lived here for 25yrs and have not been there... we are in north phoenix
we dont get down the apache junction, but now i can see i need to go, thanks alot pat...
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #10

That's almost a crime to have lived there for 25 years and been missing that the entire time!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #11

Tortilla flats.We had breakfast here,the bar stools are saddles,(I ate quick)

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My sister spends winters in Apache Junction. Last March Bev & I had the pleasure of relaxing a week there. We took the trip to Globe and it is breath taking. Thanks for posting the pictures as it brings back a lot of pleasant memories. I really enjoyed the tour of the Bordello.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote