RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Driving through Canada from Buffalo to Detroit?

I'm heading to Niagara falls in a few weeks and then to Upper Michigan. Rather then going south around Lake Erie a more direct route is through Canada. It's just me and my yellow lab (vaccinations current), no firearms, is going the north route above Lake Erie easy to do? I expect to have a full tank prior to departing and not sure of tolls, or what to expect.

Suggestions? Or go south around staying in the US?

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm heading to Niagara falls in a few weeks and then to Upper Michigan. Rather then going south around Lake Erie a more direct route is through Canada. It's just me and my yellow lab (vaccinations current), no firearms, is going the north route above Lake Erie easy to do? I expect to have a full tank prior to departing and not sure of tolls, or what to expect.

Suggestions? Or go south around staying in the US?
You'll need either a passport or enhanced drivers license to get in/out. It's a great drive through Canada

Old 06-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I do have my passport with me.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

If you are planning your route through Canada, my suggestion would be to cross at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge (we always find it to be faster and friendlier than Fort Erie's Peace Bridge).
From there, you will take the QEW to Hwy 403 and then onto Hwy 401 heading to Windsor/Detroit.
377 km or 234 miles, all divided highways, good roads and no tolls.
Yes, the fuel is cheaper on the US side and your best bet is to fill up in Niagara Falls NY about 5 miles before the border.
Once on the 401 you will see ONroute Service Centres, like US Rest Areas, you can pull in, park and rest (very safe, and we have stayed over night).
As you prepare to cross back into the US from Canada in Windsor, pay close attention to the signage on the US side marking the hard to see, RV Lane. There is only one lane for RV's, and Detroit's Border Guards have a zero sense of humour!!
We have travelled this route several times and cross at Windsor/Detroit annually when heading to Florida.
One more point, I-75 South immediately after you leave the border station (Ambassador Bridge) has a detour (for 2 years). The detour is clearly marked, good roads and brings you back onto I-75.
Enjoy your drive through Canada.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info - thanks all!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I like taking a ferry across the Sinclair river just south of Sarina and enjoying time in marine city MI.There is a restaurant right on the water and a charming little town. The ferry is a very easy border crossing. This puts you south of port Huron MI. I personally do not like crossing at Detroit and Windsor. Like Swiss chalet for a meal in Canada. Great roasted chicken.
Coach Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We took this route a couple years ago. Easy drive through Canada...crossing into Canada from the US was a piece 'a cake...different story at the Windsor/Detroit crossing back into the U.S. Took us over an hour to get across...they inspected the coach as well...confiscated our uncooked, frozen chicken and all of our eggs! So beware of the most current rules when crossing. Safe travels!
cstar5634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstar5634 View Post
We took this route a couple years ago. Easy drive through Canada...crossing into Canada from the US was a piece 'a cake...different story at the Windsor/Detroit crossing back into the U.S. Took us over an hour to get across...they inspected the coach as well...confiscated our uncooked, frozen chicken and all of our eggs! So beware of the most current rules when crossing. Safe travels!
Ugg...I hope my vacuum sealed beef is going to be alright. Or I need to start grilling more soon!

Old 06-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Driver View Post
I like taking a ferry across the Sinclair river just south of Sarina and enjoying time in marine city MI.There is a restaurant right on the water and a charming little town. The ferry is a very easy border crossing. This puts you south of port Huron MI. I personally do not like crossing at Detroit and Windsor. Like Swiss chalet for a meal in Canada. Great roasted chicken.
Just a note. The ferry docks on the Canadian side at Sombra were damaged last winter by St. Clair river ice, and the Sombra, ON/Marine City, MI ferry crossing has been closed until further notice. No idea when it will be up and running again.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #10

Since you are going to upper Michigan from Niagara Falls, there's no need to go to Detroit. Take 402 from London, Ontario, then cross into Michigan at Sarnia /Port Huron.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #11

Driving through Canada from Buffalo to Detroit?

We just did Detroit to Buffalo a few weeks ago, but via Chicago, Marquette (Lake Superior), Sault Saint Marie, Sudbury, Stratford. If you enjoy Shakespeare, catch a play in Stratford. We stayed at a campground near Fort Erie to go to the falls and the Welland canal; about a 25 minute drive.

Walking from lunch to the falls, we passed a class A parked in the lot at the Skylon Tower. Had to stop and ask. He told us he went in to the desk at the base of the tower and paid the $5 daily fee times two for as many nights as he wanted. Forty foot coach in two 20’ car slots = $10 per night. Walking distance to the falls and attractions. I never thought of this before. It was the upper lot next to the iMax where the tour busses park. Easy access from the highway.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Since you are going to upper Michigan from Niagara Falls, there's no need to go to Detroit. Take 402 from London, Ontario, then cross into Michigan at Sarnia /Port Huron.
I am going that route, staying at Port Huron KOA then working my route north per suggestions above after the one overnight.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Yes, the 402 highway is just west of London ... after seeing Niagara falls there is nothing scenic about this drive through Canada ... the 400 series highways are similar to the interstates but as mentioned no tolls.

Cheers, Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
For Customs, everything you need to know is here:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...clare-eng.html

With current vaccination record, no problem for the pooch!

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada