Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Durango-Chama-Taos

Any advice on routes from Durango to Chama and then from Chama to Taos. Would also appreciate any suggestions on RV parks that are good for 40' Class A with toad. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Wego2gthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you have in mind exactly but we like Rio Chama, link below. It's an older camp and a bit tight in spots but a river site is beautiful, peaceful, and the narrow gauge train is visible nearby on it's twice daily trips. The boarding station for the train is within walking distance if you choose, or a very short toad ride. The park is located in a grove of trees and has a variety of spots available if the river isn't your thing. We were there in a 42' coach with a GMC 2500HD toad.
Rio Chama RV park

When we're in the Enchanted Circle area of New Mexico, we prefer to stay in Angel Fire at the new Angel Fire Resort. As the name implies, it is new RV resort with all of the amenities. Almost the polar opposite of Rio Chama...

http://angelfirervresort.com

We haven't stayed in the Durango area so no recommendations there but we enjoy the Dolores and Ouray-Silverton areas if you're travels are taking you in either of those directions. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your travels!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Rio Chama, right at the river. But on leaving town we liked the looks of Little Creel Resort. A little outside of town, but the sites looked larger.

Pagosa Springs US 84 to US 64 to Chama. US 64 to Taos.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #4

Route: 160 east to Pagosa Springs then 84 south and 64 east to Taos.

Durango - Alpen Rose
Chama - Sky Mountain
Taos - Monte Bello
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

160, 84,64. Just did it the other way. We liked Rio Chama but all 3 in town looked nice. Alpen Rose was booked up solid while we were in Junction Creek and the KOA did not appeal to us. Bayfield about 18 miles east (near Chimney Rock) looked nice. The resort at Angel Fire is pricey but very nice. I don't know the name of the park on the west side of Taos looked like a nice park as well.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
JFN

Durango RV park

We stayed at Alpen Rose RV Park Durango, Colorado - Home and were very satisfied, some complain about Wifi, I don't depend on WiFI at any park, most that I have tried to use are unacceptable, for these needs I want Cell coverage and I can't remember if it was good or not but you might ask. You itinerary indicates to me you may be a railfan as I am, the Durango Silverton goes past this park on the other side of the highway, but the station is on the other side of town about 5 miles as I recall.You should be happy.

If you take the train ride to Silverton it is a 10 hr day round trip, when we were there was an option of train up to Silverton and Bus back, Next time I'll do that.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #7

I'd say the Durango/Silverton train ride is more pleasant than the Chama if that was in your plans. The Chama is o.k. in the fall with the turning leaves but again, the Silverton will also be nice at that time. Silverton now will be very cool temps - nice - and it's also a very cool old historic mining town.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #8

We did this trip in July of 2015. Went from Durango to Chama to ride the train. I believe we took the 160, 84, 64. Was a pretty scenic two lane highways. It had its rough patches but decent. We stayed at Heron Lake State Park which was south of Chama. Nice quiet campground with hookups. The spaces were far apart with good privacy. I wish we would have taken the shorter train ride. We took the full day with bus transport back and it was long for our kids and us. Should have just taken it to the halfway point and came back.

Andrew
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just left Angel Fire RV Resort after 1 week. Great park super nice dog park and activities in the club house. Make sure you take the ski lift to the top and eat at the top. Great view and a super ride.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote