Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Durango Colorado info please!

We are headed for Durango the first of June, and considering the "Alpen Rose RV Park." Does anyone have any input on this particular campground, or any other that you would recommend in Durango? Looks like there's plenty to do and see in the area, so what do you recommend?

Also, I know that cell and wifi services are usually poor in the mountains, but how is satellite reception? Are the satellites up high enough to usually get a good signal? Thanks for any info on the Durango area.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We are headed for Durango the first of June, and considering the "Alpen Rose RV Park." Does anyone have any input on this particular campground, or any other that you would recommend in Durango? Looks like there's plenty to do and see in the area, so what do you recommend?

Also, I know that cell and wifi services are usually poor in the mountains, but how is satellite reception? Are the satellites up high enough to usually get a good signal? Thanks for any info on the Durango area.
Alpen Rose is a great spot. Very clean and great facilities. There are 2 sections to the RV spaces, up front which are all in the open so you will not have any Satellite reception issues. I don't recall any cell phone issues the couple of times that we were there.

The very back RV spaces have been there for sometime and are completely covered by big tall trees. Lots of shade but probably no satellite. The front newer spaces are the choice spots.

A lot to do in and around Durango. Nice downtown area with a lot of neat shops and good restaurants. Of course you will want to take Narrow Gauge train trip from Durango up the mountain to Silverton. This is an all day event and you can't go to Durango without taking the trip. Go online Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train and check it out. Make reservations in advance because they fill up fast.

There are also some old Hotels that are really nice to tour. Day tours in the car to other spots close to Durango. Have fun.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the excellent info, Don. If you don't mind, would you have a look at this campground diagram and tell me if the sites in blue are the newer sites? https://protected.hostcentric.com/al...criptions.html

Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

You also asked what to do. You ARE taking your Jeep up to Silverton for 4-wheeling, aren't you? We'll be there!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you take the train trip, (worth it!) get your reservations on the right side of the train out of Durango. You get the best views of the canyons and other scenery. A number of years ago I was in SW Colorado and decided to go to Durango and take the train trip. I called one day ahead and lucked into a reservation for the next day. I arrived and boarded the train, found my seat and settled in. A fellow sat next to me, a resident of Durango, and inquired how I knew to get a seat in the tail end open car on the right side? I told him I'd called the day before and took what was available, he was amazed, he'd done the trip many times and said we were in the best seats for the trip.
It' an all day trip, but very enjoyable, especially for a train, mountain, history, and photo buff like me!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #6

We'll be in the area at the same time. Will be staying at the Priest Gulch Campground which is more centralized for us to visit Drango and Telluride. We love this campgound so much it'll be our 3rd year and my parent's 6th year visiting the campground.

Welcome to Priest Gulch Campground Along the Dolores River
Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-B View Post
We'll be in the area at the same time. Will be staying at the Priest Gulch Campground which is more centralized for us to visit Drango and Telluride. We love this campgound so much it'll be our 3rd year and my parent's 6th year visiting the campground.

Welcome to Priest Gulch Campground Along the Dolores River
Thanks, Kevin. That CG looks beautiful. Would you know if there is good satellite reception there? How about cell phone coverage?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You also asked what to do. You ARE taking your Jeep up to Silverton for 4-wheeling, aren't you? We'll be there!
This will be our first trip to the Durango/Silverton area, so we will have more to do than time to do it!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://plus.google.com/100213213437042823556/about?gl=us&hl=en

These are 35 miles to the west of Durango. Pretty neat one day exploring trip.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
https://plus.google.com/100213213437042823556/about?gl=us&hl=en

These are 35 miles to the west of Durango. Pretty neat one day exploring trip.
Mesa Verde is definitely on our "must see" list, Arch! Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you take the train trip, (worth it!) get your reservations on the right side of the train out of Durango. You get the best views of the canyons and other scenery. A number of years ago I was in SW Colorado and decided to go to Durango and take the train trip. I called one day ahead and lucked into a reservation for the next day. I arrived and boarded the train, found my seat and settled in. A fellow sat next to me, a resident of Durango, and inquired how I knew to get a seat in the tail end open car on the right side? I told him I'd called the day before and took what was available, he was amazed, he'd done the trip many times and said we were in the best seats for the trip.
It' an all day trip, but very enjoyable, especially for a train, mountain, history, and photo buff like me!
Thanks for the tip! We are definitely planning to ride the train, though I'm still trying to decide what we will do with our little dog while we are gone for the day.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks, Kevin. That CG looks beautiful. Would you know if there is good satellite reception there? How about cell phone coverage?

Last year we had a spot right on the river bank and had good satellite coverage. No cell service, but they have free WiFi which we had no issues with.

This year we'll be in a more shaded area away from the river, so satellite coverage is unknown right now.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #13

We have stayed at Alpen Rose on several occasions, very nice, clean park. Watch your awning, wind gusts can come up very suddenly without any warning-ask me how I know...... We have also stayed in United CG, not as nice but you can get some great videos and pics of the train since it goes right past the cg and it's a little cheaper. Don't miss Ouray!!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have stayed at the Riverside Resort on the North side of Durango, we very much enjoyed it. The sites are packed in pretty tight, that my only gripe, but would stay there again.

We skipped the train ride. While the train is nice and all, way way way too expensive for what you get. IF you do decide to take the train, make sure you get in the enclosed cars, if you are in the open cars you will look like you rolled in a coal pile and smell even worse.

Would highly recommend you also camp for a day or two up in Silverton. We stayed at Silverton Lakes. Great fishing around the Silverton area. The mine tour is actually pretty fun, they take you back in the mine on mining carts. The old gold processing plant is a great tour as well.

We were in Durango for 4th July, great fireworks show. Was told Silverton's was better, but who knows. The fireworks boom so loud in the valley, was real nice. We just parked in the grocery store parking lot, great view of fireworks.

Tags
colorado