Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

Durango Silverton area,,,,, what a mess!

I've traveled this country a lot on my motorcycle, and one of the areas I was most taken with was Durango/Silverton. Loved the train ride, loved the mountains, the road, great place.

We were scheduled to visit there with the RV back in July, when an illness in the family caused us to cancel plans.

Just saw this article. The long term affects of this will be devastating to that area. Sorta impossible to clean this up.

http://www.weather.com/science/envir...mine-pollution

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #2

We were there in July. Spent about 9-10 days in the Durango/Silverton area before heading over the mountain to Taylor River Reservoir. Beautiful area and this year was over the top for wild flowers. We drove up Cement Creek Road, along Cement Creek, looking for a good boondocking spot. We didn't go all the way because the canyon walls were just too close for any good spots.

Very sad, looks like we made it just in time.

EPA by line... "We are from the government, and we are here to help!"

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

We were there the last week of July as well. Really a sad situation, and all due to the wonderful, ever more intrusive Federal Gov't that is here to regulate and control all facets our lives.

I hope all downstream states take legal action against the EPA if possible.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was disgusting to see this mess. I've been to Durango three times (and rode the train each time) and river-rafted down the Animas River twice.

The river feeds into the Colorado River and that's a major source of drinking water.

Heads should roll over this!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

Listening to the news this morning on the way to work, they expect it to reach Lake Powell next couple days.

Amazing, 3 million gallons of crud, can contaminate a couple hundred miles of river? I know 3 million is a lot, but there has to be many billions of gallons along that 200 mile plus stretch of rivers. Cement creek, Animas River, and San Jaun river all polluted.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #6

Can you imagine what some of those whacko environmentalists would be doing had a private co. caused this? As it is I haven't read a word about the Sierra Club or others having anything to say. And I read this morning that the EPA says it's looks worse than it really is. WHAT??? Lets see arsenic, and heavy metals polluting the eco-system which will have long term effects, and it looks worse than it is. Give me a break!!!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

Very bad situation but I don't think it was the government who created the pollution. Maybe focus your anger on the source of the problem
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Can you imagine what some of those whacko environmentalists would be doing had a private co. caused this? As it is I haven't read a word about the Sierra Club or others having anything to say. And I read this morning that the EPA says it's looks worse than it really is. WHAT??? Lets see arsenic, and heavy metals polluting the eco-system which will have long term effects, and it looks worse than it is. Give me a break!!!!!
^^^EXACTLY!! Because this was caused by the EPA it is down-played and hardly reported on. Had this been a corporation or even a small business it would be all over the media and the company targeted as being irresponsible and unexcusable. I know the government didn't create the actual polution but that is who released it. I am merely stating the double standard that exists rather than working the problem/issue.

My wife and I are headed to Ouray next week so we will unfortunately get to see it first hand. We love that area and hope it doesn't completely destroy it.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Very bad situation but I don't think it was the government who created the pollution. Maybe focus your anger on the source of the problem
Good idea. Let's head to the time machine and go back to 1920.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Until the EPA stepped in it was under control. They applied their "expertise" and now we have a major long term disaster.
We'll be in Ouray next month and see how our know-it-all EPA experts fix their problem.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
Good idea. Let's head to the time machine and go back to 1920.
Engaging Time Warp!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Time Warp.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	102904  

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

Stop blaming the EPA. They hired a contractor that was trying to clean up some companies mess. The EPA didn't create the original mess, they were trying to clean it up. If the EPA left it alone, how many years would it be before the mine spilled that goo on it's own. Complaints should be directed to those that dug the mine, became filthy rich from the ore, and then left the mess for the American tax payers to clean up. Find the owners, blame them.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #13

The river is already clearing up. Not to say that the impact and issues aren't still present, but at least it's not orange anymore. Here is a pic from today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439334229.700531.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	102915

2012 F150 EB FX4 Super Crew | 2011 Keystone Outback 250RS
Arizona
Old 08-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Until the EPA stepped in it was under control. They applied their "expertise" and now we have a major long term disaster.
We'll be in Ouray next month and see how our know-it-all EPA experts fix their problem.
Under control? Somehow I don't think that millions of gallons in toxic mine waste sitting around waiting for the day that something or someone accidentally sets it loose is under control. It is a disaster waiting to happen and in this case it has. The site in question has been reportedly leeching small amounts of contaminated material for years. How many other toxic stores like this are dotted around just this continent waiting for just such an occurrence? Do I really care how it got loose? Not especially. That it was allowed to sit there all these years without remediation does matter. Companies that can be tracked to such environmental disasters in training should be made to clean up such sites and in cases where there is no way to do that, then Governments should step in, clean up these sites, filter the water, remove the sediments and in general reduce the possibility of these cataclysmic events.