Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Durango to Gunnison or Moab

Will be in Durango for the first half of May then eventually to Yellowstone. Was planning on going to Gunnison, but it does look like a simple route to Gunnison other than 550 (Million Dollar Highway), which I probably should avoid with a 40' 5er. Was even thinking about heading via Moab instead, since it seems like an easier drive to Moab and then north to Tetons/Yellowstone, plus get to vist Arches and Canyonlands. Any recommendation for best route or stops along the way would be appreciated, normally drive only 3-4 hours.
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
There are many trucks that take the 550 thru Silverton and Ouray. I have seen many RV's and fifth wheels on the road and I have driven this route in a 35'RV many times. There are no turns too tight and only 1 tunnel near Ouray (not as much a tunnel as a "roof" to prevent rocks/slides from overhead. Just ensure brakes are good, use turnouts often and use low gear downhill (and have aux brakes on trailer).
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Note that it will probably be cold in Durango in early May. We have had snow on Memorial Day at least twice while camping in the area (one of our favorites). S long as the road to Ouray is without snow, you should be able to drive it, assuming you have some experience with mountain driving.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

We drove 550 with our 40' motorhome many times but wouldn't try it in May. However, there is another way by taking 160 west and tour Mesa Verde Nat'l Park then head north on 145 and 62 into Ridgway. 145 is easier than 550 but still, check out the weather first. 550 north from Ridgway is practically flat. Then take 50 east to Gunnison. Then backtrack and take 50 west to I-70, an easy drive. Then head north to Yellowstone.

From Durango to Moab you'd want to take 160 west (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park) and at Cortez pick up 491 to 191 north to Moab.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:31 AM   #5

Gunnison & Durango in May could get a little dicey with sketchy weather. I would definitely keep one eye on the weather. The same goes for Yellowstone end of May, or early part of June, call ahead to see which campgrounds are open. But I will say in our 3 visits to Yellowstone, the one we talk about most was when it had snow. It was beautiful.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Gunnison & Durango in May could get a little dicey with sketchy weather. I would definitely keep one eye on the weather. The same goes for Yellowstone end of May, or early part of June, call ahead to see which campgrounds are open. But I will say in our 3 visits to Yellowstone, the one we talk about most was when it had snow. It was beautiful.

We have a cold weather package with dual pane windows, extra insulation and heated tank pads, so do not mind the snow and actually would love to see some especially in Yellowstone, just do not want to drive in it with an RV.
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

I love Moab but then i tow with a land rover.
buddaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #8

I admit to being an old guy and I saw RV's and trucks on US550, but I was white knuckled in the car between Silverton and Ouray so no way I'd drive an RV over it. We're considering a visit to Gunnison so I look forward to any reports you make about the area if you end up there.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Whether to drive a big rig over Red Mtn Pass (550) is a personal decision. Many do it, many others are terrified doing it. How comfortable are you and your travel companions looking over the edge of sharp curves with no guard rail and very little shoulder, down into a 1000 ft canyon.
The 145/62 alternate route is much more mellow, but still gets into the high country, which in May is still under winter conditions many years. Durango itself is at 6500 elv and in May will be 60 during day and around 32 overnight. Up on the passes its over 10,000 ft elev and a whole different world, 15-20 degrees colder with the roadway going through 6 ft high banks of snow along the edge.
If you've never been to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, off hwy 50 near Montrose, its certainly worth the time.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We drove 550 with our 40' motorhome many times but wouldn't try it in May. However, there is another way by taking 160 west and tour Mesa Verde Nat'l Park then head north on 145 and 62 into Ridgway. 145 is easier than 550 but still, check out the weather first. 550 north from Ridgway is practically flat. Then take 50 east to Gunnison. Then backtrack and take 50 west to I-70, an easy drive. Then head north to Yellowstone.

From Durango to Moab you'd want to take 160 west (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park) and at Cortez pick up 491 to 191 north to Moab.
I also did 550 in my 45 ft truck conversion MH towing a vehicle behind. I would not call it enjoyable. Some very tight turns and roads with no real shoulder in many places. The bypass using 160/145/62 is a much nicer drive, although a little longer since you are going west, then north, then back east. Once in Ridgway no issues with 550.

The drive from 491 to 191 is very easy. Moab is a nice stop to spend a few days. Out of Moab, you can take 128 east which has incredible views along the river, which will intersect I-70 in eastern UT.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote