Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
E Kootenay BC Lakes

Heading up to the Icefields next week, will be hitting a few Provincial Parks and/or Rec Sites during the trip. Looking for a bit of info on a couple:

Hahas Lake Rec Site and Larchwood Rec Site for the first night in BC.

To those who have knowledge on either of these sites, info would be appreciated, and if you know both, which would choose??

Towing a 34ft trailer with Excursion, 53ft length tota, and hauling our 17ft canoe (doesn't add to the length!!!!) These 2 sites seem to be able to handle this.

Any personal preferences??

Thanks in advance!!

Gerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #2

Can't comment on the sites, but I'll throw in some advice .
Pack a coat and boots, mother nature threw a switch and the weather went from a hot August to a cool wet October, normal September is nowhere to be found. Last weekend there was snow on the roads outside Jasper, and many towns in the area have frost warnings for the weekend.

For road and weather info.
http://www.drivebc.ca/
http://www.511alberta.ca/

Old 09-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Snow? that's a bad word.

I have been keeping an eye on the weather along the Icefields Parkway, Jasper and Whitehorse to plan for our return trip from Alaska next summer. I was kind of thinking the week after Labor Day was fine to start our return from AK, but I saw snow in the forecast for Whitehorse YK. a few days ago. So your saying this is not normal? I little dusting of snow overnight we can handle, where it warms up into the 50's the next day.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I was kind of thinking the week after Labor Day was fine to start our return from AK, but I saw snow in the forecast for Whitehorse YK. a few days ago. So your saying this is not normal? I little dusting of snow overnight we can handle, where it warms up into the 50's the next day.
Temperatures over the past week for most of B.C. have been running 10c or 16f, below average.
Before I retired , I always took my holidays in September, to avoid traffic, in about 14 years with the RV in September, only twice was the weather bad.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #5

DW, found this photo on facebook.
Taken Fri, 6 AM, Sept. 4th.
Rock Lake campground , NW of Hinton AB.
About 30 miles as the crow flies , north of Jasper.
Doesn't look like a fun long weekend there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193 (640x360).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	106127  
Old 09-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You have to be kidding me.

And we keep talking about "Global Warming"

My trip to AK. next summer I'll have to watch the weather come Labor Day weekend. Planning to take the Cassier Route back to the lower 48. Any pointers about that route. Somewhere at Prince George I'll have to take route 16 East to Jasper. Any mountain passes I should be worried about?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 AM   #7

Gerry , sorry that Jim and I have hi-jacked your thread.

Jim, with normal September weather , roads in B.C. wouldn't be an issue.
My local forecast is showing a slight warming trend but still 5c below average with frequent rain, that could be snow at higher elevations.
If you haven't driven in B.C. before, the majority of highways have mountain passes, kind of a little like Northern California , without the freeways, lot of climbing involved.
When checking your route for passes , remember that most maps will give elevations in Canada in meters, and 1 meter is approx. 1.1 yards.

BTW: I always hated the " Global Warming " name ; should have been " Climate Change " from the very beginning.
Just remember , they had trouble running the Iditarod , because of the lack of snow.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Many many years ago there was global warming. The era before that happened was called The Ice Age. Do you think the burning of fossil fuels brought the Ice Age to an end?