Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

E. Tennessee to Michigan trip timing and route help!

So, we have a 39ft motor home with a toad and looking for help as to route and the best time to escape crowds, going on rt75 I believe ,to rock hound in the north east Michigan area from East TN.
We have to find places with dog parks, as our pups are high energy, and need play space. We want to get moving by the beginning of May, any help, thoughts, suggestions would be mightily appreciated [emoji3]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

Take 25E to 75. 75 north to MI-28 in the UP. Head west to M-77. Go north about 25 miles to Grand Marais. Stay at woodland park campground. You will never find a better rock hound place. Take your jackets. That time of year you are almost guaranteed a nice spot.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Thank you so much! Sounds awesome[emoji2]
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

Don't take 75 through detroit. Cut over to 23 at toledo, up to 96 to lansing, then take 127 up to reconnect with 75. You can also cut across to Fort Wayne from around Lima area Ohio and then take 69 up to lansing, 127, 75. You get the idea.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #5

On the way thru Lower peninsula if you are looking for some stops, I would recommend Harrison, there is a MI state park there called Wilson State Park. attached is a photo from along the along side of the north loop.

Or if you are looking for a more leisure tour of the state, come up by Detroit and follow the shore line around. Wagner Park south of Harbor Beach is an excellent stop along that journey. Didn't have a good picture of the beach without kids in it but is it beautiful for the sunrise side.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170812_074601.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	241311Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_141741.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	241312
glwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Thank you for the great info 👍. I was concerned about going through Detroit as I’m sure it’s similar to Atlanta 😕.
Blueseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueseeker View Post
Thank you for the great info [emoji106]. I was concerned about going through Detroit as I’m sure it’s similar to Atlanta [emoji53].
No. No where near as bad as Atlanta. Not going to say it will be a picnic but a lot better than Atlanta lol
Old 04-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Easiest route around Detroit and shortest. At Toledo get off I-75, take 23 up through Ann Arbor keep going north to Flint where you are back on I-75.

Watch for the deer they are terrible in May for living on the shoulders of the highways eating the fresh greens. Avoid night driving if possible.

We are a bit north of your destination and hope the last snow is melted by May but be prepared for some very cool nights in early May in the upper peninsula.

Safe travels.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

Great month to come to Michigan. Early enough to avoid the summer crowds. I make the same trip often, only in the reverse direction. It might be worth a look at a route that gets off 75 near Wapakoneta and heads west towards South Bend. North on US31 up the west side of the lower peninsula. Once you get north of Traverse City, lots of nice rock hounding and a lot nicer scenery than 75 or 23. Once your in Michigan there are nice rv parks near every town all the way to the bridge. Hidden place to find Petoskey stones is Point Betsie light house. Since you have a toad you could do a side trip. Enjoy your trip.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

Excellent thoughts, we are thinking about after Alpena, Frankfurt May be in our travels [emoji106]
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #11

Wilderness state park by the bridge on the lower peninsula. The West loop was just redone last year I believe. That is a nice park too.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #12

I have not done the north/south I-75 in a few years (inlaws mover to MI) but the worst area was from just south of Cincinnati to north of Dayton, during rush hour. Actually, the middle of the day was not too bad (except for construction). Straight I-75 is MUCH shorter than either bypass. Keep to the right and "go with the flow". Toledo can get busy around rush hour also.

The northeast corner of the Lower Peninsula has a lot less tourist attractions than the northwest. It will be chilly in early May and down right cold in the UP !
Old 04-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
Great month to come to Michigan. Early enough to avoid the summer crowds. I make the same trip often, only in the reverse direction. It might be worth a look at a route that gets off 75 near Wapakoneta and heads west towards South Bend. North on US31 up the west side of the lower peninsula. Once you get north of Traverse City, lots of nice rock hounding and a lot nicer scenery than 75 or 23. Once your in Michigan there are nice rv parks near every town all the way to the bridge. Hidden place to find Petoskey stones is Point Betsie light house. Since you have a toad you could do a side trip. Enjoy your trip.

Ok, excellent thoughts, we are going up and stopping at a port Huron koa and traveling up the East side via 23n. Stopping in oscoda and continuing up 23 to our destination in Mackinaw City.
Do you happen to know if this is a Big Rig friendly rd.? (Low bridges)?[emoji53]
We are then coming back down on the West side of the state. Any thoughts?
Thanks again![emoji106]
Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #14

Stay at state parks then you'll have nice trails to walk your dogs.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote