Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #1

East Coast Big City Trip?

I have never liked big cities and I like them even less in my motorhome. But my DW wants to see Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. This in my eyes would be the trip through HELL. Are there any good routes and campgrounds close enough to each city's subway systems to keep me sane? I hopefully do not want to drive my toad into the cities either.

Also what time of the year would be the best (Spring - April/May/June or Fall - October/November). I like COE and SP campgrounds with full hookups, but I don't think I will get many of these up there.

I would most likely come up from the South and then head West after Boston to the Finger Lake area of New York. We have friends that live in that area.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #2

RV Parking & Campus Park and Ride
1600 Warfield St, Philadelphia, PA 19145
(267) 324-9691
https://goo.gl/maps/EbdW2zyJfky

This is in philly, we’ve stayed there a few times and love it. They have a shuttle bus that takes you to to university city area and you can hop on any form of public transportation from there. FULL HOOKUPS!
hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 AM   #3

Cherry Hill for DC, Liberty in NJ for NYC and Normandy Farms for Boston. I would avoid Baltimore. Cherry Hill is the metro to DC, Liberty is the ferry to NYC and Normandy Farms is toad to train or into Boston.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pilot View Post
Cherry Hill for DC, Liberty in NJ for NYC and Normandy Farms for Boston. I would avoid Baltimore. Cherry Hill is the metro to DC, Liberty is the ferry to NYC and Normandy Farms is toad to train or into Boston.
I will input these into my trip. Is that Liberty Harbor in NJ? My brother lives in Worchester outside of Boston.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have never liked big cities and I like them even less in my motorhome. But my DW wants to see Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. This in my eyes would be the trip through HELL. Are there any good routes and campgrounds close enough to each city's subway systems to keep me sane? I hopefully do not want to drive my toad into the cities either.

Also what time of the year would be the best (Spring - April/May/June or Fall - October/November). I like COE and SP campgrounds with full hookups, but I don't think I will get many of these up there.

I would most likely come up from the South and then head West after Boston to the Finger Lake area of New York. We have friends that live in that area.
Good Luck - Live here in the East - have traveled up and down the entire coast and can say DC, is Cherry Hill - NY, is Liberty Harbor - Baltimore, Philly and Boston Good Luck, when we would do them we Boondocked in Stadium Parking Lots..........

Fall is the Best time - lower Humidity and Cooler - But - Crowded - DC and NYC are truly like National Parks, you can spend weeks..........

Think about catching the Beaches as you run north, even in the Fall they are Fun.

IMHO if you were to do all of the above in one trip you will get City/Crowd/People overload, so just keep that in Mind might limit it to just a Couple spots............

Williamsburg is also a nice distraction as is the Biltmore in Asheville.

Your Exit strategy is good as Upstate NY is Beautiful and worth a few weeks or more, not just the Finger Lakes but the Great Lakes would warrant a Look/Time.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Traffic - Tolls - Traffic - Parkways in NY - Bridges $$ - Traffic - Few facilities - Traffic - Crowds - Traffic. Did I mention Traffic.

I would also avoid Baltimore, and I live just south of it - Think about the Eastern Shore as an Alternative - Easton, St Michaels, Oxford

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #6

I did not note this, but I need big rig friendly campgrounds/parks.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Good Luck - Live here in the East - have traveled up and down the entire coast and can say DC, is Cherry Hill - NY, is Liberty Harbor - Baltimore, Philly and Boston Good Luck, when we would do them we Boondocked in Stadium Parking Lots..........

Fall is the Best time - lower Humidity and Cooler - But - Crowded - DC and NYC are truly like National Parks, you can spend weeks..........

Think about catching the Beaches as you run north, even in the Fall they are Fun.

IMHO if you were to do all of the above in one trip you will get City/Crowd/People overload, so just keep that in Mind might limit it to just a Couple spots............

Williamsburg is also a nice distraction as is the Biltmore in Asheville.

Your Exit strategy is good as Upstate NY is Beautiful and worth a few weeks or more, not just the Finger Lakes but the Great Lakes would warrant a Look/Time.

Blue Ridge Parkway

Traffic - Tolls - Traffic - Parkways in NY - Bridges $$ - Traffic - Few facilities - Traffic - Crowds - Traffic. Did I mention Traffic.

I would also avoid Baltimore, and I live just south of it - Think about the Eastern Shore as an Alternative - Easton, St Michaels, Oxford

Best of Luck,
I hear you about the traffic and people. I am hoping to stay 3 to 5 nights at each Big City stop and get a country (less traffic-less people) between the Big City stops to chill.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We are going to do the same thing as you in September - and have selected Liberty for NYC, Cherry Hill for DC, and that gross-looking parking lot in Philly. So all my research matches what these fine folks are saying.

By September I figure the kids will be in school and the crowds tolerable.

NYC and DC and most camping spots fill up fast - think about reservations far in advance.

Same is true for tours, shows, and events in the city, so if your DW doesn't want to miss out, think about reservations for those as well, especially DC. For example, the Bureau of Engraving is really really a tough ticket, to watch the money being made.

You can call or go online to your state rep or senator for passes for the White House and the Senate Building - also a tough ticket. They can help out a lot.

TOO MANY people traveling these days - and far too many RVs! They better start building some new parks...

Have a blast, even though it's not your cup of tea...
Old 07-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I did not note this, but I need big rig friendly campgrounds/parks.
Cherry Hill and Liberty Harbor are big rig parks. Here are some write ups and reviews with pictures and driving directions on them by a 40' RVer. Check out all their campground reviews (Clicky on top of page - by state) and you may find more for where you're going.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=liberty+harbor

https://wheelingit.us/?s=cherry+hill
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. I am also interested in this.

DW and I leave next March (2019) for 1.5 years east of the Mississippi. We will eventually get to these areas.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we visit Wash DC, we like to stay at Cherry Hill Park..

Its convenient to the Metro to get into DC,. They also have activities on site to keep kids and adults happy. The staff is always pleasant.

I'm in DC several times a year for business, when we take the RV, we always stay here.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Was just at Cherry Hill Park last weekend. This is a well run park who seems to go above and beyond to make sure you understand how to visit DC via Metro without issues.

I would just drive the 40 minutes into Baltimore using this park as your base.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Was just at Cherry Hill Park last weekend. This is a well run park who seems to go above and beyond to make sure you understand how to visit DC via Metro without issues.

I would just drive the 40 minutes into Baltimore using this park as your base.

Bill
That's a good suggestion.

There is a campground called "Ramblin' Pines" west of Baltimore on Hoods Mill Road, west of MD 97, that would be an option, but if you are already at Cherry Hill you might as well stay there.

Google says 34 min, 29.5 miles to the Inner Harbor from RP.

33 min and ~28 miles from CH.

Suzuki DRZ-400 on hitch carrier.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
That's a good suggestion.

There is a campground called "Ramblin' Pines" west of Baltimore on Hoods Mill Road, west of MD 97, that would be an option, but if you are already at Cherry Hill you might as well stay there.

Google says 34 min, 29.5 miles to the Inner Harbor from RP.

33 min and ~28 miles from CH.
The only reason I had Baltimore in there is my wife went to see the Baltimore Harbor back in the 90's and she enjoyed it then. It may or may not be worth seeing now.

Tags
east coast