Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

East Coast Canada

We are leaving from Toronto to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for a 16 day trip at the end of August in our 36ft, 24000 lb gas MH, pulling a jeep.

Looking for any input on places to visit or highways to avoid, if any, since a 36ft MH kind of pushes the envelope for gassers.
CACOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We too are leaving from Manitoba for the East coast in our truck and travel trailer at the end of August. We are also looking for the same ideas and advice.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

In New Brunswick, Hopewell Rocks is pretty interesting - check the area tide schedule before you go to time your visit so you can get down on the beach and then observe the high tide. Kouchibouguac NP is also pretty nice, although you might be a little early for the leaves turning colour. The loop drive (Hwy 11) around the Acadian Peninsula is a nice drive through history. If you like "quaint".
In Nova Scotia, do the Peggy's Cove thing, although I would recommend not taking the TV, if possible. The roads out to PC once you're off the highway can be twisty and narrow in spots. I would also try to do a section or all of the Cabot Trail, with the same caveat about using your Jeep instead of the TV/Towed combo, although it's probably doable if you go real slow. It can also be a roller coaster in spots. You might be able to leave the TV at the welcome centre in Port Hawkesbury or nearby. I'm not sure because we've never towed out that way. Maybe others will know.
You could also do Lunenburg and/or the Annapolis Valley.

Check Parks Canada website for places to go and things to see, too.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

We drove the Cabot Trail, clockwise a few years ago in a 28' Class C.
Half way around, the brakes were smoking and we had to give them a rest.
I think next time we would leave the RV in a parking lot.
Peggy's Cove, Alma, Halifax's harbour front, Confederation Bridge lots of great scenery and the people are very friendly.
The only bad part of the trip was our GPS taking right through the middle of Montreal at 5:00pm on the narrow streets.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #5

x2 on not taking the rv around the Cabot Trail. It is breath taking, but the hills are very large. We left the rv and took the toad. On our way to Nova Scotia,we took the back way to Alma in NB through the national park, and had the brakes on my old gas coach smoking coming down the mountain into Alma. Would not recommend that hill in a gasser pulling a toad. I would also recommend Halifax harbour, as it has a great waterfront and museum. We took a tall ship party cruise after dark of the harbour. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Dont forget to catch the tidal bore at Truro, South Maitland, or Windsor. I absolutely love the Bay of Fundy. The highest tides in the world are something to see. Anapolis Royale is a nice town with a historic fort, and the worlds only tidal electrical generating station. If you have time on your return trip, take the ferry over to PEI. Its free to get to the island, but you have to pay to get off. Thats why we take the ferry over, and take the Confederation bridge back. I thinks it around 50 dollars for an rv. The bridge is I think 14 km long. It a marvel in itself, and you get a side detour to PEI. There is enough distance between the ferry and the bridge to get a nice taste of PEI. You might even decide to stay longer, as everyone loves PEI as well.

Tags
ada, canada, east coast