Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
East Coast route to Prince Edward Island, Canada

Looking for some local knowedge/experience. We're travelling, 42' Entegra motorhome plus Chevy Avalanche in tow, up the East coast . From Portland, Maine north, we plan to travel on 1 instead of 95. Want to cross into Canada at Lubec, New Brunswick and then ferry to Deer Island and off again to L'Ete, New Brunswick. Any concerns or potential problems I should consider, specifically, MH size, tow length, etc. Suggestions for todo's and or campgrounds along the way, also appreciated.

Thanks, Mario

mlacute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club

We just went from NJ to PEI and back last week. Did not take Rt. 1 but took Rt. 9 from Bangor on the way there and I-95 the whole way back. We had a 40-footer towing a Jeep GC.

Some observations from my trip which may or may not be applicable to your Rt. 1 route:
- After I-95, not many spacious options for diesel. We found a pump we could get to right outside of Bangor on 9 but had to ask a guy to move his car so we could get out (he parked while we were filling up).
- Rt. 9 has a bunch of steeper grades that slow you down and kill your gas mileage. Rt. 1 may be flatter since its on the coast.
- Border crossings were a breeze for us. We went to Canada in Calais, ME and came back in Houlton, ME.
- NB has an extension to Hwy 1 in Canada that was not on my GPS. Saved a lot of time between St. Stephens, NB and St. Johns
- Bridge to PEI is 8 miles long. They hit you with the toll on the way back. $59 CDN!
- We stayed at the Cavendish KOA on PEI. Very centrally located.
- Great ice creams and cheddar cheese on PEI from Cow's.
- We did a bunch of Green Gables stuff. Avonlea Village was actually pretty nice and had GREAT mac and cheese.

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
I live in Downeast Maine and travel to and from Bangor regularly and sometimes to Portland. Tom is correct about steeper grades on Rte 9 but Rte 1 takes you through many small towns with slower speed limits so it will depend on how much time you want to spend. As far as fueling up after leaving 95 in Bangor, the easiest place on Rte 1 would be in Machias at the Irving and still might be a bit of a challenge to get in and also in Pembroke at the Irving. FYI, the Irving in Pembroke is usually cheaper. If you travel Rte 9, it would take you a little over 2 hours to get to Calais. If you go Rte 1, it's probably about 2.5 hours to Lubec. Have not taken the ferry from there to Deer Island, only the ferry from Eastport to Deer Island. The Eastport ferry is very small and would not accommodate your rig. I think in the past there have been tractor trailers travel on the ferry from Campobello to Deer Island. Disembarking at Deer Island might be a bit tricky since they land pretty much on the beach. As far as campgrounds at PEI, it's been years since we've been and can't remember where we stayed. It's a beautiful area with sandy beaches and warm ocean water. You'll enjoy it.
downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote