Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
East coast run

Hey all,

so me and the wife are thinking that we would like to take a short trip from Maryland to Maine in our 34 Monaco knight, anyone have any suggestions of places to stay/camp?
Recommendations are always nice to get, we are thinking about going around October the leaves might be changing around then, and I could stand to eat some lobsters
Well just thought I would throw this out there and see is anyone has been to Maine.
Thanks Frank

Frank05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Frank go down to the Northeasters and post it there and they will give you some great places to stay, eat and sight see.

2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
By October the kiddies are back in school but the silverhaired Leaf Peeper will be out in full force. Be very carefull. That creature is known to focus on back roads as well as major highways at low speeds, stopping for no reason at all with no advance notice. Other times it just moves along at dangerously low speeds. Either way- keep a fair distance between your bumper and theirs.

There are many places to land your motorhome in Maine. It is about 400 miles from Kittery to Madawaska. So if you had a general idea on what or where you had in mind I'm sure there are many members here that could chime in with advise.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maine in October is going to be damn cold - hope your furnace is working good! nd Maine has too many pine trees for really good fall colors.

In mid October, I would stop my northern journey in NY State, where the leaves should be at their peak all across the north-central part of the state. Try a loop from Albany across to Buffalo, then come back across PA to your Maryland home. Should give you some great leaf-peeping.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Went to Maine last August early September had a great time. Stayed at a CG about 20 miles from Bar Harbor and drove around in the Toad. Went to Acadia Park and seen some great sites. Nothing better than live lobster cooked at the CG at your own place and a couple adult beverages to relax with. Oh I guess that I forgot with the great company of the DW.
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

We spent 3 weeks in June in New England.

Try Normandy Farms in Foxboro. Pricey but the most thought out CG that I have ever visited. The CG is centrally located to Newport, RI, Cape Cod, Plymouth, Boston, etc. Ask to conceirge about how you go about taking the subway into Boston. It was a piece of cake and a great experience for those not accustomed to riding the subway. We got off at Boston Common and walked the Freedom Trail. Awesome!

Near Bar Harbor (Trenton, ME) we stayed at Timberland RV park. Nothing fancy but a good overnighter or base station for day trips. Acadia NP was excellent. If you're eligible, buy the Senior Pass for national parks. A lifetime of entry fees for VERY little money.

Better to eat lobster outside of Bar Harbor and Acadia than inside the tourist trap.

Enjoy - - we did
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be reminded that most campgrounds in Maine close up around the middle of October. Of course you could boondock, but it often gets cold, especially at night in October. I recommend to plan accordingly.

bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
i live on cape cod, stay here for a week (or however long) its awesome once September/ October hits and all the tourist leave. theres a bit of a chill but not too bad, the ocean keeps us a little warmer. but 2 decent campgrounds without going deep into the cape are Bourne scenic and Bay view campground. Both great campgrounds. Bourne scenic is right on the canal and you can fish the last of the stripers if your into that. But its a little chilly-er because you get that breeze. it has no cable. Bay view is also in bourne and has tons of amenities (its more of a family campground) has pools, arcades... but it also has cable and I believe certain sites have dumping right on site. both are great... I like bourne scenic better because I love to fish. but.. all in all.. cape cod is great in the fall. PLUS all the rates are off season!
1972 Wayfarer in restoration
Johnnyd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Why don't you start a week or so earlier...come to Urbanna Va...to the Rally...I bet you get lotsa route advice there....Maybe see ya at the Rally...Peace and Safe Travels D
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
While going north Normandy Farms in Foxboro, Ma. is one of my favorites Easy to reach Boston, Greater New Bedford area, even Newprt RI. ( A little longer for Newport but I like to visit the mansions! ) Enjoy your trip. We are just finishing a six week trip. Home tomorrow for 10 days then Normandy farms for Labor Day weekend! Safe travels.

Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED, Honda Fit
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
danf7 is offline   Reply With Quote