Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I just did that route in late June/early July but in opposite direction.

Bangor to Calais, ME on Rt. 9
- lack of diesel and stations that can easily accommodate a DP with a toad. Filled up in Brewer, ME on Rt. 9. Had diesel pumps but had to ask a guy with a car parked in the way to move so I could get out. There are some Irving stations but some are small, gas only and the one 'big' one in Calais was jammed with cars.
- steep grades that slow you down and kill your gas mileage
- crossed border at 'old', non commercial crossing in Calais to St. Stephens, NB. Made it under the first checkpoint booth (clearance) but had to maneuver around a second booth area
- they opened a new section of Canada HWY 1 that was not on my GPS so the road from St. Stephens to St. Johns is really smooth. Again not too much access to diesel in this stretch. More places once we got to Mocton.

On the way back, we took Cananda HWY 2 to Woodstock, NB and cut across to the start of I-95. Big truck stop in Houlton, ME. I-95 was a much better ride.

Be careful of construction in St. Johns. Clipped my passenger side mirror on a tight bridge in a construction zone.

Safe travels!
My biggest concern was that the road would be to narrow and may have one of those low covered bridges.Was the road very rough?
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Road is more narrow than I-95 but not overly tight. The road does open up on up hills with a granny lane.

No low bridge concerns on the route.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #17

We are at Lubec Maine at the sunset point cg. Right on the ocean and very nice but small. Recommend it or go to a cg in Eastport, Me. Eastport is a must see. Very quaint. Down east Maine is gorgeous with many views of the sea. Enjoying our visit in Maine. Hope you enjoy your trip
TsuSM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #18

Have just traveled on route 9 from Bangor to Lubec,Maine. Good road with some hills and curves , but not a problem with our 32mh and toad. Know that it is rural. Make sure you have adequate fuel. Not much service available. Enjoy.
TsuSM70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
We have started our trip and so far am enjoying it very much .I took four days to go from Winnipeg to Stouville Ontario .I drove threw the US to save time and Money on fuel . We are stopped here for five nights to spend time with family . .Met some nice people here at Cedar beach Camp ground .This is why I love to travel this way .Tuesday we head to Montreal QC.
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote