Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
East Texas

Any IRV2 campers around? At Cooper Lake State Park until Sat then Watts RV Park in Gilmer TX few nights and then Martin Creek State Park.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
Any IRV2 campers around? At Cooper Lake State Park until Sat then Watts RV Park in Gilmer TX few nights and then Martin Creek State Park.
n5pht
We have not camped in any Texas SP for over 20 years...(to pricey)!

At Cooper Lake State Park RV camping costs $16-$20 a night, PLUS a $5 per person per day "entrance fee"........stay only one night and you pay the $16 campsite fee, PLUS the entrance fee for 2 days...(1 for the day you check in and 1 for the day you leave)!...
One night of camping
, (for 2 people in an RV), ends up costing a total of $36-$40!

At Martin Creek State Park the total is slightly less, ($25-$29), but certainly NO bargain.

Last winter we payed only $10-$18 a night at various COE parks in Texas.

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Call Austin

As I understand it, the money that Texas Parks and Wildlife collects in fees for camping, hunting and fishing licenses, etc, goes to the Texas general fund. Then the Texas Legislature returns about half of that back to TPWD. That is why camping fees are higher than they should be. You need a yearly pass for camping in state parks. Then you do not have to pay the daily $5 per person for entrance, and you get half off camping fees for second night of a stay. Still love our state parks.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #4

I stayed at a Texas State park once several years ago and as you stated the cost was higher than private parks. Since then I have avoided the state parks in Texas. Most other states are more reasonably priced. With the Senior discount Louisiana and Mississippi are well under $20 per night.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas State Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
As I understand it, the money that Texas Parks and Wildlife collects in fees for camping, hunting and fishing licenses, etc, goes to the Texas general fund. Then the Texas Legislature returns about half of that back to TPWD. That is why camping fees are higher than they should be. You need a yearly pass for camping in state parks. Then you do not have to pay the daily $5 per person for entrance, and you get half off camping fees for second night of a stay. Still love our state parks.

ronspradley

Well, we enjoy Texas, OK and Arkansas Parks - but rate them Ark(1) and (2) OK and (3) Texas. And I am a Texan. Arkansas Parks seem to really want your business. I pay 1/2 price in Arkansas as a 100% disabled Veteran. Oklahoma also gives me a discount. My home state of Texas gives me (and 1 'helper') free pass for the entrance fees. I had no idea you paid two days of entrance fees for one night of camping!! That is crazy. We have found Arkansas State Parks to be our personal favorite - to each his or her own. And with the disabled veteran pass in Texas does not include any discounted camping fees. COE is also half price but the COE around our area seem to be really going down hill with lots of long term campers - don't know how they get around the 14 day rule - guess each member of the family reserves for 14 days but don't really know. I just know in several we have been there are campers (not hosts) that are quite rooted in from the looks - but I could be wrong.

In any event we prefer: 1) State Parks 2) COE 3) Private Parks - generally in that order.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I called Texas Parks and Wildlife and they claim 1 night of camping will also charge 1 day of entrance fees (unless you linger beyond 2 pm the day you are leaving!). Oh well, the Texas Parks pass is $70 and does include some coupons for additional use. But all in all the Texas State Parks seem higher than their neighbors of OK, AR and LA. I wish the management of Texas Parks could see (you would think they do) how many empty sites they have during the week.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #7

I have a pass while at Martin creek be sure to get some minnows guess why
Old 05-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe the management of the Texas State Park system know full well that their prices are not competitive with private parks and other state park systems. But I say again, all of the money collected as fees goes into the general fund of the Texas budget, and only half is returned to TPWD. Call Austin.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
As I understand it, the money that Texas Parks and Wildlife collects in fees for camping, hunting and fishing licenses, etc, goes to the Texas general fund. You need a yearly pass for camping in state parks. Then you do not have to pay the daily $5 per person for entrance, and you get half off camping fees for second night of a stay.
ronspradley
ronspradley
The cost of the yearly pass, ($70), will pay the $3-$5 daily TX SP entrance fee for 7-12 overnight stays.......(that's a lot of wasted $ for anyone who only "overnights" in TX once or twice a year).
Overnighting at Walmart and/or in TX rest areas costs nothing.
(BTW, if wasn't 881 miles wide I wouldn't have to stop in Texas).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
whem2fish - 1. Is the fishing pier walking distance from campsites? 2. Minnows? We have worms?
Old 05-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
I called Texas Parks and Wildlife and they claim 1 night of camping will also charge 1 day of entrance fees (unless you linger beyond 2 pm the day you are leaving!).
n5pht
IF that's true, someone should tell the "gate keepers" collecting the money at Texas State Parks!

I won't, (because it's not part of my job to argue with "gate keepers").
(I'll let Texans try to solve problems with Texas).

BTW, it's not part of my job to "call Austin" either.

However, "NOT paying ridiculous fees" IS one of my jobs.

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
texas