Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
that looks like a great trip

thank you Busskipper, that is just what I was hoping to find,, I really like the trip back to Texas via the sand dunes.
looks like a blast!!
Dw has said maybe we don't need to visit family up there. !!! Said we could spend our 2 weeks in the mountains, and that they can come see us on the weekend!
billgallivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgallivan View Post
thank you Busskipper, that is just what I was hoping to find,, I really like the trip back to Texas via the sand dunes.
looks like a blast!!
Dw has said maybe we don't need to visit family up there. !!! Said we could spend our 2 weeks in the mountains, and that they can come see us on the weekend!
If it's really warm that's a Great Idea - Have them meet you in Leadville, easy drive - All have dinner at Quincy's (Save$$) Stay at the Hotel or a B&B - Delaware Hotel | Leadville Colorado Lodging - https://www.coloradotrailhouse.com/.

Then maybe a day trip to Maroon Bells and Independence Pass - on RT 82 in the car as it's a restricted drive. Possibly a stop at - https://www.google.com/search?q=inde...w=1396&bih=702 - for a jump and a swim - The snow melt keeps it cool year round.

Enjoy the Trip, if you could get more time we can give you more to do.

From an old post - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...7.cfm#29227677

Yup you guessed it I love Colorado,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #17

We stayed in colorado Springs for a couple weeks in May last year. There is a lot to do around the area and so much fun. The Valley of the Gods RV park is very nice, but it is very close quarters. We preferred to stay a little out of town at a spot called Mountaindale Cabins & RV Resort. It's about 15 miles south of town up in the hills. Every morning we were there we would sit and have our coffee in the morning and watch the deer around our campsite. The sites were very roomy and the folks there were wonderful. You are surrounded by beautiful hillsides. It's a little cooler than in town because you're a little higher in elevation.

Enjoy your trip! That area is wonderful!
hgtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill,

Busskipper gives good advice. He and others here helped us plan our trip along the eastern side of the Colorado Rockies last August/September.

We loved every place we went. We spent 8 days in Buena Vista enjoying as many of the things to do there as we could.

Great Sand Dunes was even more impressive than I had thought it would be.

We crammed as much as we could into our time along the eastern Rockies but had to skip so much that we know we'll go back.

Hard to go wrong, if you listen to people like Busskipper.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
his route sounds awesome,, i think the one he sent is just what i plan on doing.

thanx Busskipper, and all that responded.
rubber side down,between the ditches, yall be safe
Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
we are going to pikes peak area mueller campground probably, on our way to brush, which we decided would probably be a day trip, then west to rmnp.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:41 PM   #21

Are you a boondocker? If you like to "camp" at RV Resorts or at Kampgrounds I can't offer you much advice as we avoid those places, especially in beautiful country.
The City of Brush operates a Municipal Campground. First night is free. Next 7 days are $20/night and $17.50/night after that. City of Fort Morgan operates Riverside Park Campground. Supposed to be free. Haven't stayed at either one myself.
Further west we like Boyd Lake SP in Loveland. Northwest of Fort Collins we really enjoy camping along the Cache Le Poudre River on CO Hwy 14. There are a half dozen or more USFS campgrounds which can accommodate a 30 footer. We really like Ansel Watrous for dry camping and Mountain Park Campground for hookups and showers. They all are pretty popular during tourist season.
If you like that sort of thing and you can get in you can pay $50/night in Estes Park. Or...if you boondock you can pay zero/night in dispersed camping in the Roosevelt NF at the Beaver Reservoir a mile or so north of the USFS's Pawnee Campground near Brainard Lake on the Peak to Peak Highway (CO 72) near the Camp Tahosa Boy Scout Camp. It's at 9,100 feet elevation. We stayed there a week last summer and will be back there again soon. Your rig will handle it fine. With a motorcycle and a toad on a dolly we are 61 feet long. I usually don't pull the toad at those altitudes but I can by monitoring my engine and transmission temps on my ScanGauge D. Without the toad on we are 51 feet long. On the seventh day we began having a little trouble getting the propane to vaporize. I assume the level getting low reduced the pressure from the tank.
If you want to camp free or cheaply on citizen owned land (and I highly recommend it) look up and stop by any Forest Ranger District Office(there's one in Boulder) and pick up some free Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM's) which show all the roads and trails in the district and where you can pull in or over and do some free dispersed camping.
I strongly recommend you download the free app called ParkAdvisor. I prefer it over RVParky which is also excellent. If you really want to ferret out ALL the publicly owned campgrounds pay $10 for Ultimate Campgrounds.
Have fun in the Rockies.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Fort Collins CO is a delightful town with beautiful shops, great restaurants, fine arts and funky stuff too. We loved the ambiance so much that we stayed two extra days. Best place to stay is the KOA, reservations needed.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #23

I forgot to mention Dowdy Lake Campground near Red Feather Lakes a little north of the Poudre River.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
we are planning mostly dry camping, with maybe a couple of nights at a state park to regroup
Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #25

If you find yourself on I-25 in southern Colorado and want a cheap convenient stop I recommend Greenhorn Meadows Campground owned by Colorado City. Take Exit 74 westbound on CO 165 just a mile or two. It will be on your left. $15 for 30 amp. $12 for just a spot. Lengthy review on ParkAdvisor​.

La Vista Campground further up CO 165(Greenhorn Highway) at Lake Isabel is nice. Run by a concessionaire(boo, hiss) for the USFS. $28/night or $14/night with the old fart's card.
My all time favorite dispersed camping site is within a couple of miles from there. I ain't gonna tell the whole world where it is but I may tell a card carrying fellow Texan. Maybe even a winter Texan.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't mind dry camping there's a place called Two Buttes Reservoir south of Lamar, Co. It's about 4 miles of nice dirt road(I though the dirt road was nicer than the pavement we turned off of)back to the dam. No designated parking area, much like Quartzite. We spent an interesting night there last spring and will stop there again, should we need a spot in the area. Found it with freecampsites.net
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanx old crow, the freecamping app is awesome, I have used it in the past with good results.
I wish there was an app that had all camping sites listed, as some show on one app and not another,, anyway, good info on Lamar, as that will be on the way,
Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #28

There is a KOA in Fountain it is on the southend of Colorado Springs. It is a great location for the area. Garden of the Gods, Manitou, Pikes Peak and local attractions. A little further south is Lake Pueblo which is a nice place to camp. Cheyenne Mtn. SP I haven't had a chance to camp yet but I don't live to far from it and it is a pretty area.

Tags
camping, colorado