Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Eastern Colorado camping ?

Any suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
dw and I are going to do a couple of weeks in Colorado this summer in our 30' class a. She has family on eastern plains that we will be visiting for a couple of days as well.
Any suggestions for locations in the mountains?
As we will be near Greeley, we will be east of the rockies
Any better ideas than Estes park?
Seem that is a busy place. Colorado springs area perhaps.
We will be going in July, so we probably need altitude if no electricity for air conditioning.
Open to suggestions
Thanx

billgallivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

How about Pikes Peak area. Also maybe a few days at garden of the Gods.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Colorado Springs is a nice place been there several times I stayed at Garden of the Gods RV park near Manitou Springs. Visited Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak via the Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, and Air Force Academy. Another nice spot was Durango where we took the Durango to Silverton train ride along the Animas River. Well worth it. Stayed at the United Campground of Durango which the train goes through the campground on the way to Silverton. From Colorado Springs it is more than a day trip to Durango. However Denver is under a 2 hour drive from COS and it is a nice day trip if you wanted. We stayed once in Denver at a conference and drove to COS to visit a friend for the day. Not a bad drive. For a future trip we are planning to go to the Royal Gorge Route Railroad which is just over an hours drive from COS. Supposed to be a nice train trip through canyons.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

If you plan on spending time in the Denver area sightseeing I recommend staying in Cherry Creek State Park in Denver. 6,500 acre park in the city , looks like/seems like being in the country. Full hook-ups, decent sized camp sites, nice walking trails, paved roads and paved campsites, and has a nice lake for swimming, boating, and fishing. Need to go on-line and make reservations as far in advance (up to six months) as you can.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
colorado trip

thank you to the few that replied, I will check on that cg in Denver
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Eastern colo camping ?

We used to live in the area and still have two sons living in the Denver area. We have stayed at Dakota Ridge RV Park (nice) and Prospect RV Park (not nearly as nice). We have also stayed at a couple a couple of friendsí places out east of Parker for free and one of them even has a 30 Amp pedestal and water outlet. In addition to Cherry Creek (nice) there is also Chatfield State Park on the south side on The south side of Chatfield Reservoir. While we have not stayed at either of these they do look pretty nice. The Jefferson County Fairgrounds also has RV parking and if you are an Elk member (we just joined) there are a couple of those on the north side of Denver.
bfisher003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgallivan View Post
Any suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
dw and I are going to do a couple of weeks in Colorado this summer in our 30' class a. She has family on eastern plains that we will be visiting for a couple of days as well.
Any suggestions for locations in the mountains?
As we will be near Greeley, we will be east of the rockies
Any better ideas than Estes park?
Seem that is a busy place. Colorado springs area perhaps.
We will be going in July, so we probably need altitude if no electricity for air conditioning.
Open to suggestions
Thanx
So you'll be in Greeley and that would be a good place to start - If you are comfortable with mountain driving you will likely enjoy this route.

Bing Maps - https://binged.it/2mQM2Ti - Greeley to Grand Lake, CO

Now I'd head over to Kremmling and the on to Leadville on Down to the Collegiates ans Buena Vista - Map - https://binged.it/2Bc3K8i - then Home.

Lot's to see and do along the way.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
That's like the kind of route I was looking for.
Have you done this road in a motorhome?
If it can be done, I would like to try!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgallivan View Post
That's like the kind of route I was looking for.
Have you done this road in a motorhome?
If it can be done, I would like to try!
Yes every one of these roads in my Coach TS 42DS04 with My MDX toad.

Understand - I LOVE to drive the roads in Colorado - and unless it's restricted will do it in my Coach - RT - 82, Independence Pass, from Twin lakes, just outside Buena Vista is one of those roads, but I've driven it out and back in the Toad - https://www.google.com/search?q=Inde...w=1396&bih=702

So Trail Ridge - the road from Estes to Grand Lake is a test for many but with the length of your Coach it should be easy - tap on the map I attached and it will zoom in - then in the upper right corner hit the Satellite option and see the road from the air. IMHO this will help by allowing you to see the width and how tight the turns really are.

We loved Grand Lake - it's a great little town that seems to be of just friendly People. The in town Main Street that is backed up to the Lake is really enjoyable.

Kremmling Just a little town that is along the river and filled with History. Then as you take RT 9 to Silverthorn - again a great drive - Jumping on I-70 for just a couple minutes before getting off on RT 91 to Leadville, at 10,000 feet the highest incorporated town in America. Home of Quincy's - for a Great price on a good Steak. Quincy's Steakhouse -

Turquoise Lake/camp Hale on RT 24/Red Cliff/Minturn and then back if you wanted. Buena Vista/Browns Canyon NM/Collegiates/Cottonwood Pass along with so much more. This is Colorado.

Then I think I took you on to Great Sand Dunes NP on the way home.

Done every inch of this - much more than once - as soon as we leave we are working on getting Back - It's that Good.

Hope this helps,

Busskipper
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #10

There is an interesting CG out by Greeley that we almost stayed at last year when we could not get into St Vrain in Longmont early. Apparently this little known CG is at a former missile site. Never needed to find it but a little research should uncover it.

For Colorado Springs Cheyenne Mtn SP is hard to beat, if you can get in. It is very popular but weekdays should not be too much of a problem. Stunning views if you get one of the upper sites. Only word of warning there is a young ranger, who may or may not still be there, that needs an awful lot of work on her people skills. As long as you don't cross paths you will thoroughly enjoy the CG. Lots to see in the Colorado Springs area including an excellent zoo.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #11

There is a lot of nothing in eastern Colorado, I drove up the eastern side of the state on my way to Wyoming last summer, going from Amarillo, TX to Sidney Nebraska (stayed at the Cabellas RV park in Sidney it is at their headquarters store, full hookup, wifi, cheap laundry machines, about $30 per night, or free for the first night if you apply for their store credit card, first come first serve, and sites with full hookups tend to fill up a couple of hours before sunset) with one night boondocking in the middle of nowhere in eastern Coloroado my route went through through Lamar, Kitt Carson, Sterling, etc. My one night boondocking it was cool enough even in August to not need air conditioning after sundown, though that may have been a lucky happenstance.

Be aware that some of the seemingly more major roads are rather narrow, I would suggest scouting your road on google street view.

I spent considerable time online scouting out possible stops, and ended up not staying at any of them while attempting to dodge weather.

Pickings are thin, however some of the small towns have municipal RV parks, some with electric and water hookups, there is one of these Fort Morgan, I think free for the first night on a first come first serve basis, there is also a KOA in Limon, CO.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
dw's family is in brush, asap
Old 01-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
oops, asap we are heading west into the mountains
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #14

I think Brush also has a free / cheap municipal RV park with electric (and maybe water) hook up.

Tags
camping, colorado