Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eastern Utah and Western Colorado

Hello all! We are planning a 2 week motorhome trip to Eastern Utah and western Colorado this August. We are coming from Reno and first stop will be Delta, UT so we can visit Topaz War Relocation Center. After Delta we will be more than ready to escape the heat by taking refuge in the nearest mountain paradise. I have lots of questions for those familiar with the area, here are a few:

We iill most likely pick up 70 after Delta, is there a cool mountain area within 300-400 miles.

Our ultimate destination is Colorado Springs, is rt 50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo comfortable in a 40' motorhome?

How about rt 40 for the way back, how is the road for a motorhome?

Any suggestions for places to stay (in August) would very much be appreciated. We are kind of thinking about taking 50 out of Nevada and 80 coming back, but that is not set in stone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will be in my favorite part of CO and UT. Ouray CO (7700 Ft) is a good heat escape anytime. Great small town.
its just south of Delta, Montrose and Ridgway on 550.
RT 50 East from Montrose to Canon City is beautiful country, then CO 115 will take
you to Colorado springs.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

We're from this area and have traveled the roads you mentioned. Highway 40 and 50 both involve two lane roads going over a steep, curvy mountain pass (Berthoud and Monarch). Yes, you can make it in a motorhome, it'll be slow going and for some people (like me) may be a little white knuckle. Berthoud (Hwy 40) is worse than Monarch (Hwy 50).

The best park in Colorado Springs is Cheyenne Mt. State Park. It easily handles big rigs, has FHU w/50 amp. You'll need a reservation though. We also like Mueller State Park near Divide (about 30-45 minutes up the hill from Colorado Springs). Spectacularly beautiful and in the cool mountains. Pick a site carefully, some won't accommodate your rig. Also need a reservation there. If you can't get into Mueller, check 11 Mile State Park. It's easier to get a site and also beautiful, although it's further still from Colorado Springs. There is some nice dry camping near Mt. Princeton (Buena Vista) in the National Forest Areas.

For Ouray, check Ridgeway State Park.

Be sure to pack a warm jacket, it gets cold at night in the mountains.

If you take I-70 east across to Denver, schedule it for any day but a Sunday. It gets jammed up with people returning to Denver. Check out the Colorado River State Park (Island Acres) just outside Palisade. It's in the canyon and stays nice and cool but you will get Interstate noise. We can't help you much with other camping along that route, although you could look at Tiger Run near Breckenridge.

Hope this helps.
ChiefC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

If it were me, I would go on 40 to Steamboat Lake state Park. I volunteered there for 4 months last summer and I do not think there is a prettier place in Colorado, although Ouray is nice. The drive on 14 through the Poudre river canyon is rated in the top 10 scenic drives in the US. If you do not see moose along the road, it is because you had your eyes closed. It has lots of campgrounds along the river. Then, a stop at the Budwieser brewery in Ft. Collins to see the Clydesdales and free beer. There is a lot of 2 lane road, but the only hard pull is Rabbit Ears Pass outside of Steamboat Springs. We are planning on going back there next summer again. The wildflowers are spectacular.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #5

Howdy!

We are about to leave Texas to escape the heat. Plan is to go west to New Mexico then north into Colorado. We have MDT 4400 International (no problems pulling up or going down) but we have a new Cyclone Toy Hauler which is 43' long and 13'9" tall. I like all the recommendation for parks listed above but will I have any problems getting to or into them the size we are? Any other recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You are heading into one of our favourite areas in all of the US Some of the most fantastic places we have seen is in Utah and Colorado.

I can recommend seeing the National Parks around Moab (228 Miles from Delta). They will make your jaw drop - I guarantee !

Another favorite in the mountains is the campgrounds immediately North of Durango (386 Miles from Delta). On the way there is a chance to see both Moab (as already mentioned), and Mesa Verde National Park. It just doesn't come more spectacular than that anywhere in the world, and I have seen a lot of the world already (in 38 different countries to be precise).

Roads are all good going to the areas that I have mentioned.

Safe travel.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

Almost forgot to mention Blue Mesa. If you choose the Hwy 50 route, Blue Mesa is just outside of Gunnison. It is in the Curecanti National Recreation Area and the Elk Creek campground added electric hook-ups several years ago. The area is beautiful, not crowded and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, which shouldn't be missed, is an easy day trip from the campground. Here's the link: Curecanti National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Safe travels!
ChiefC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow! Some great information, thank you very much! It looks like we will bee line to Colorado Springs in 3 days and then take 12 days to get back. I'm thinking that we will spend 10 of the 12 day return taking Rt 24 to Buena Vista, then drop down to Rt 50. The mountains west of Buena Vista look stunning and Ouray looks pretty neat. We will have time for 1 or 2 other areas. I'm going to do more serious trip planning, I'm sure that I will have more questions :-).

Thanks again for the great responses!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyMike View Post
Wow! Some great information, thank you very much! It looks like we will bee line to Colorado Springs in 3 days and then take 12 days to get back. I'm thinking that we will spend 10 of the 12 day return taking Rt 24 to Buena Vista, then drop down to Rt 50. The mountains west of Buena Vista look stunning and Ouray looks pretty neat. We will have time for 1 or 2 other areas. I'm going to do more serious trip planning, I'm sure that I will have more questions :-).

Thanks again for the great responses!
I don't know why years ago (2009?) I asked the locals in Colorado Springs the best way west to Ouray/Silverton and both people I asked said not to take RT24 but to to take CO rt 115 to Cannon City and Salida.
Maybe it was rougher, more desolate/boring ?? I really can't remember.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #10

We live in Utah about 2 hours from Delta, UT. If you are a rock hunter there lots to be found in the Delta area.

In Eastern Utah there is lots to see and do.

Near Bryce National Park is Ruby Inn Camp ground. This is a nice camp ground which we were just there last weekend. The elevation is about 7700 - 8000 foot so it can be cooler than other areas.

The other choice is Zion National Park. This is one of our greatest places we love to visit. We stay in Virgin, UT at the Zion RV park resort which is one of the best RV parks IMHO. It only about 10 minute drive or so from the park. It keeps you away from the busy tourist live in Springdale (Zion Gateway) to the park. There are nice free shuttles that take you into the park. Lots to do and see in and around Zion just depends on what you want to do.

Other is Moab Ut. Lots of different RV parks in the area of Moab. You have 2 different parks to see. Cannon lands and National Arches. National Arches is our favorite park with lots to see and do in and outside of the park.

Both arches and zion have incredible places to see the red rocks. Our favorite in Zion over all of them just a nice place to visit year after year.

Have fun.

Tags
colorado