Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
El Paso to Colorado Springs/Grand Canyon?

Will be making the trip between El Paso and Colorado Springs around mid May. We might end up having about 10 free days (last minute scheduling change)and thought about heading over to the Grand Canyon area (south area). I know this is about 550 miles extra, but since we are already in the area. Any insights the best route besides I40 into Flagstaff for a 45ft Class A with a Toad. And suggestions on campgrounds to stay around Williams. The two parks with FHU up close to the GCNP are booked of course.

Thanks

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Mid-May is early for crossing the high Colorado passes. I'd suggest just taking I-25 to I-40 to Williams, AZ.

However, if you watch the weather forecasts when you're ready to take off from Colorado Springs you could do I-25 south to 160 west and the only place to really watch out for would be Wolf Creek Pass coming into Pagosa Springs, CO. If it's clear you would have no issues driving it with your motorhome. If not, perhaps lay over a day or two in South Fork until they get the highway clear and then go for it.

From Pagosa you'd stay on 160 into Arizona at Tuba City and Hwy 89. Have you been to Mesa Verde Nat'l Park, CO? You could stop there. Even if you don't tour the park, this would be a good stop before continuing on 160 - either here or Cortez, CO are some RV parks. Then continue on 160 to 89. Then take 89 south and if you want you could pick up Hwy 64 west at Cameron into Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. It's 275 miles from Mesa Verde to Grand Canyon via Cameron, AZ. Stop at Trailer Village in the park and just see if they have a spot for you. There are always cancellations.

If no spot, continue on 64 south to Williams.

Or from Tuba City and Hwy 89, stay on 89 into Flagstaff and west on I-40 to Williams.

Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for the route suggestion. I did the Good sam routing from El Paso and it shows me going across I10 to Deming, going north US180 towards Holbrook and on to I40. Not much on that route. Being it is over 500 miles we planned to stop somewhere overnight, only one place on that route. If i run up I10 up to I40 at ALB it is about 100 miles further, but there will be places to stay overnight on I40 at least.

I did call the campground at Trailer Village Village, still no opennings. Will probably stay in Williams at the Railway RV park.

Tags
colorado