Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
toneumanns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
Elec. vs Propane

Going to the Texas coast next week for a month. Having not been put on a RV park electric meter before I have a question. Is it better to heat the coach, hot water & refrig using propane or electricity? I am told that Texas limits RV parks price per KW. Any thought would help.
__________________

__________________
2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,150
Blog Entries: 21
Texas has a free market electric rate and it is a mess. The camp ground has signed up with an electric provider in most cases and cannot mark it up to you. They can pass it along. You can look at the rates available in a particular area if you Google Texas Power to Choose.
Power to Choose

Ken
__________________

__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jwomack's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 653
We always use electric. Our electric fireplace will usually keep us plenty warm. Maybe use the furnace for a quick blast in the morning to take the chill off.
__________________
Jimmy & Tre
Katy, TX
2014 Allegro Red 38QRA
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Going to the Texas coast next week for a month. Having not been put on a RV park electric meter before I have a question. Is it better to heat the coach, hot water & refrig using propane or electricity? I am told that Texas limits RV parks price per KW. Any thought would help.
It all depends on what they charge for electric and what you pay for propane. I have seen several formulas of calculating which is cheaper, but the one that I remember is dividing the cost of a gallon of propane by the cost of a kW-hr of electric. If the result is less than 22, propane is cheaper. If the result is over 22, electric is cheaper.

Example 1: You buy propane at Flying J for $2.99 a gallon and the campground charges 15 cents per kW-hr of electric. $2.99/$.15=19.9
19.9<22 so propane is cheaper.

Example 2: You pay $4.50 a gallon to fill your propane tank at the campground, and the campground charges 11 cents per kW-hr of electricity. $5/$.11=37.5
37.5>22 so electric is cheaper.

We usually avoid high campground prices for propane, so the cost between propane and electric is usually fairly close for us; but we like to use electric even if it would be a little more expensive just to avoid the hassle of having to fill the propane tank as often. Not only that, but our electric heater is a lot more quiet than the furnace.
__________________
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Member
 
jrhartle's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 58
If you stay for one or two weeks the electric is included in the normal fee. If you are staying long term the electric is calculated seperately in most parks in TX. We have stayed all over the lower part of the state and have never heard of having to pay for electric seperately on a less than one month stay.
__________________
Jim & Gayle
2002 Bounder
jrhartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
milasman's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 883
I ran 2 1500 watt space heaters over the course of two days plus the normal hook- up (30 amp) and it cost an extra $10 bucks and some change.
__________________
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
It all depends on what they charge for electric and what you pay for propane. I have seen several formulas of calculating which is cheaper, but the one that I remember is dividing the cost of a gallon of propane by the cost of a kW-hr of electric. If the result is less than 22, propane is cheaper. If the result is over 22, electric is cheaper.

Example 1: You buy propane at Flying J for $2.99 a gallon and the campground charges 15 cents per kW-hr of electric. $2.99/$.15=19.9
19.9<22 so propane is cheaper.

Example 2: You pay $4.50 a gallon to fill your propane tank at the campground, and the campground charges 11 cents per kW-hr of electricity. $5/$.11=37.5
37.5>22 so electric is cheaper.

We usually avoid high campground prices for propane, so the cost between propane and electric is usually fairly close for us; but we like to use electric even if it would be a little more expensive just to avoid the hassle of having to fill the propane tank as often. Not only that, but our electric heater is a lot more quiet than the furnace.
444
__________________
steve9910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Murf2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
I ran 2 1500 watt space heaters over the course of two days plus the normal hook- up (30 amp) and it cost an extra $10 bucks and some change.
Good grief! How cold was it?

2 heaters of 1,500 watts each and electricity at about $0.11 / kWh means that both heaters were running more than 15 hours a day.
__________________

__________________
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.