Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Electric only campsites

This may be a dumb question but I'm new to TT. We are looking at campgrounds near Ft. Collins CO (dowdy lake and bellaire lake) for July. They say electric only with drinking water available. I've only stayed at full hook up sites in the past. My question is how long will the 40 gallon tank last in my TT with essential use and what does drinking water available mean exactly? Has anyone stayed at the CC or the Horsetooth reservoir in Ft. Collins?

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
A typical person uses around 10 gallons of fresh water per day. Typical dry campers use half that and with some conservation methods you could use even less. The large majority of that water is used for cleaning. Don't leave the water running in the shower, while brushing teeth, or washing dishes.

I would buy a couple of 5 gallon water jugs to ferry water to the site from the drinking water tap.

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of our stays are in the local state/federal parks with water/power but no sewer. Two adults with a 30 gallon black and 40 gallon gray tanks. Four days has been our average but that was not being conservative other than the standard not running water continuously when washing. We could probably double it by using the camp ground facilities for showering which is probably the biggest water use.

The past summer we looped the Great Lakes and pretty much every place we stayed was power only and we lived off the 50 gallon fresh tank. Our stays were only three nights each stop and never went below 1/3 of the fresh tank but again we weren't very conservative.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C424 View Post
This may be a dumb question but I'm new to TT. We are looking at campgrounds near Ft. Collins CO (dowdy lake and bellaire lake) for July. They say electric only with drinking water available. I've only stayed at full hook up sites in the past. My question is how long will the 40 gallon tank last in my TT with essential use and what does drinking water available mean exactly? Has anyone stayed at the CC or the Horsetooth reservoir in Ft. Collins?

Thank you
C424
So far my 40 gallon fresh water tank has lasted 18 years.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously:
40 gallons of fresh water lasts the 2 of us 1-2 weeks, (if public showers are available).

Usually "drinking water available" means one or more faucets are located in or near the campgroud where you can connect a hose and fill your on board water tank... (but sometimes there's only a hand pump or a large water tank with a spigot for filling water jugs or pails).

I don't know much about CO campgrounds, sorry.
(We've only stayed in full hookup sites, and "overnighted" in a few Walmart parking lots, in CO).

Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use bottled water for drinking and cooking, which minimizes fresh water tank usage. So a couple three weeks on fresh water.

Use CG showers if available, else navy showers in the RV.

Grey water we use a large pan in the kitchen sink to allow reuse of water before it hits a holding tank.

Black tank is usually our limiter. A week for two people is about it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

First, for your specific campgrounds you might want to edit your post and include something like Horsetooth, Dowdy Lake, Bellaire Lake CO campgrounds & you might get more specific replies.

Although we haven't been to any of them, I just checked and Dowdy and Bellaire don't have dump stations so there most likely isn't a place to fill an RV. They probably just have water pumps or a faucet.

Of the two, Dowdy sounds like the best because Bellaire has a notation that there's lots of beetle damage and limited shade. It's probably not very pleasant-looking.

Horsetooth has all three - water, electric, sewer (probably not all sites though) and a dump station.
Have a good one!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
First, for your specific campgrounds you might want to edit your post and include something like Horsetooth, Dowdy Lake, Bellaire Lake CO campgrounds & you might get more specific replies.

Although we haven't been to any of them, I just checked and Dowdy and Bellaire don't have dump stations so there most likely isn't a place to fill an RV. They probably just have water pumps or a faucet.

Of the two, Dowdy sounds like the best because Bellaire has a notation that there's lots of beetle damage and limited shade. It's probably not very pleasant-looking.

Horsetooth has all three - water, electric, sewer (probably not all sites though) and a dump station.
Have a good one!
Dowdy and Bellaire are National Forest Campgrounds. There is Beetle kill every where, but that shouldn't stop you. There are water hydrants at Bellaire and Dowdy. Dowdy fills up earlier. Almost always need reservations at Dowdy, up to 6 months in advance.

Horsetooth Reservoir is a Larimer County Park. Some camp grounds have full hookups, but most just have electric. There are water hydrants at the campgrounds, and a dump station at the South entrance to Horsetooth.
Larimer county has other nice campgrounds also. Just go to the county website.
There are pay showers at Horsetooth
Old 01-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my motor home it is not the 80 gallon fresh tank that limits me it is the 36 gallon waste tanks,, I pull in on Sunday, Dump WED and leave on Sunday (Dumping again on the way out) Wife and I have made it 8 days max. but the half week program was best for us.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C424 View Post

Thank you
C4,

It is clear to me that you do not have a complete grasp of the issues.

It says "Electric Only" and that means that there is electric at each site, but no water or dump.

Well, we also have 40 gallon potable (drinking) water tank and a 40 gallon black (sewer) tank. One gets full as fast as the other gets empty. (Funny Thing) That takes us three or four days most times. So there is that answer.

Problem: Did they say that they have a Dump? Often it is a ways from everything else, so the only plan is to move the rig to first the potable tap and then the dump. But we seldom stay anyplace three days, so we dump and fill on the way in or out.

Matt
Old 01-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

No it doesn't have a dump either.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We can go about two weeks on our 105 gallons fresh water and 65 grey and 45 black. Friend has an Essex with about the same capacity but different (electric flush) toilets and gets about 2 days with his. I think he does better now that he's learned how to use the dual flush settings though. It is what it is some can go longer than others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #12

Lot of our state parks will have a place for you to fill your on board water tanks on your way to your site. At your site you will have electric hook up. Then on your way out of the park or anytime you want to take your RV there they have a dump station.

Russell.