Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I never said their rule is illegal. But nowhere did I say it was the same as their prohibition on women being members.

That's why I don't understand the prohibition on atheists. By the Elks' own rules, a person's belief system will never be discussed, so what does it matter what it is?

Unless they use it to make assumptions about a person's character based on a person's belief that there is no God, which I would argue is as misguided as making assumptions about a person's character based on a person's belief that there is a God.
The Elks Lodge I belong to has women members. As a matter of fact , there have been several Women, Exalted Rulers.

Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #30
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a link to let you see where our lodges are located that have RV spaces.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #31
iRV2 No Limits Club
I joined the Moose for exactly that reason. They publish a couple booklets listing their lodges and info on facilities including RV parking. Unfortunately my lodge closed down and they transferred all memberships to another one that was too far away to easily go to. I asked for a demit but never got an answer back and it's been close to 10 years now. I even sent another letter and no answer again so I'm probably not a member anymore!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #32
National RV Owners Club
As a Canadian, I decided to look to see if we have Elks in Canada and we do. In regards to becoming a member, they stipulate you have to believe in a Supreme Being. That could be almost anything you want it to be. I think even an atheist could figure out something/one that they think is "supreme". As it is worded, it could easily be a non-deity.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I am almost sorry I started this question about Elk's facilities on another thread. What is most disturbing is the IGNORANCE shown in some of the posters regarding "Their" rules and beliefs when it is obvious the poster never did any reasonable research .

The Elk's also will not induct you if you have a felony conviction so check your background and your spouse too. They only want upstanding individuals who can offer to the organization responsible ownership of their membership. That means commitment to the causes of helping others especially children with disabilities.

I am not a member but do support their causes. IF you don't have a belief system in your personal life then stay away from organizations like this and other that ask you introspective questions like the Moose and Mason and Shriner s etc. They just don't want you to be around their personal spaces. If your only reason to join is find a parking space - you have other problems lurking between the ears.

And don't try to join any of the yacht clubs I am a member of because you must recite the Pledge to the flag which states "UNDER GOD". If your not a good fit then don't wear the pants.

So much misinformation is given with the keyboard.
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #34
Well said LA Dagobago, that is why we all have choices. The Elks is a great organization but not for all!
2016 Entegra Cornerstone
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I find this interesting to say the least, but I don't think we were to speak on this subject on irv2 ???
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #36
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
There is no prohibition on women being members.
No, not any more. But women weren't allowed to be members until 1995, when the national organization changed the membership requirements.

Even after that, some local clubs still refused to admit women. As recently as 2005, an Elks lodge in New York settled a suit brought by the ACLU on behalf of a woman who was rejected for membership.

Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
If your only reason to join is find a parking space - you have other problems lurking between the ears.
The thing about disqualifying people for felony convictions is I'd bet that the vast majority of convicted felons believe in God, and an awful lot of them are religious. And not a few of them are/were religious leaders.

Until they got caught, and convicted, those people would not have been disqualified from membership, yet a person who can't or won't say he believes in God won't even be considered for membership.

Of course, they could just lie, but believe it or not, that's not how some Atheists roll.

Actually, if the Elks really wanted to get to people's character, they could ask them straight out, "Is the only reason you're joining to find a parking space?" Of course, that might cause problems for the lodges that specialize in attracting fulltime RVers who don't have a home lodge.

oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote