Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

en-route to Grand Can

I'm heading for the Grand Canyon. 12 way there they shut down the government. Now what? Is the any place I can see the Canyon and not be in a National Park?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

You might check Grand Canyon West. It's run by the Indians's since it's on their reservation. We thought it actually looked prettier there as well. You can stay in Kingman and drive to some little town where a bus will take you for an hour drive across the sand to the Skywalk. It's a little pricey but well worth the experience! WE did this a few years ago, so look on-line about the locations and information.

Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a 4x4 with somewhat high clearance, go to the north side and get a map of the Kaibab Nat. Forest, there are some dirt roads you can take right up to the rim. There are private campgrounds nearby but dont know what the weather is like there right now.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

Spend some time in Williams. I don't know if the train is running or not, but there's some interesting things to do and see in & around around there. Depending upon which way you are traveling and what you are traveling in Kingman has much to offer-museums etc, and you can take a side trip to old Route 66 points of interest like Oatman AZ. if that's something you find interesting. Google is your friend. BTW, if you saw the movie "Cars", you will recognize the Kingman City Hall building. We spent a couple of days there just exploring.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Weather is gorgeous right now. 40 in am 70 in after noon. Southern UT has lots of state parks in the area. As for the dirt roads, I was down there last week and all are passable with anything with four wheel drive. Really nice canyon views.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Roadrunner View Post
You might check Grand Canyon West. It's run by the Indians's since it's on their reservation. We thought it actually looked prettier there as well. You can stay in Kingman and drive to some little town where a bus will take you for an hour drive across the sand to the Skywalk. It's a little pricey but well worth the experience! WE did this a few years ago, so look on-line about the locations and information.
That used to be a school bus and it has got to be the roughest road (washboard) in the US. If you go, hope they have paved it since I was last there...I'd be surprised.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm really sorry about your misfortune. I am a little biased, but the Grand Canyon is the greatest natural wonder in the world, to me. It should be accessible to everyone and it does not belong to the Feds, it belongs to the people. Not taking a political side here, but it and all the other parks are simply being held hostage.

The Governor of Arizona has offered to fund the park during the deadlock, to no avail.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
That used to be a school bus and it has got to be the roughest road (washboard) in the US. If you go, hope they have paved it since I was last there...I'd be surprised.
I doubt they have paved it. I took a different school bus ride coming off the river, at Diamond Creek (River Mile 225), all the way to Peach Springs. Washboard is the norm, but worth every bump.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Grand Canyon Railway has suspended operation.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #10

In Williams right now. Railway has shut down travel into the Grand Canyon. I heard you can head to Kingman. Other option... Helicopter tour.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #11

You can visit the Little Colorado River Gorge just west of Cameron, north of Flagstaff. This is the area where the tight rope walker crossed the canyon recently.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is information on the Grand Canyon Train shutdown.

Impact of Government Shutdown | Xanterra Parks & Resorts, Inc.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote