Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Epic Trip

My wife and I are planning an epic trip (for us anyway). We live in far Northern California and are planning a trip to Virginia, North Carolina and Alabama (Richmond Speedway, NASCAR Hall of Fame and Talladega)next spring.

My questions are to experienced cross country rvr’s. What are some of the extras that we should bring with us that would come in handy on a 6,000 mile round trip? What are some of the pitfalls that you have encountered? How many days would you normally allocate for this kind of trip, considering that we plan to make time on the way to Virginia and sight see on the way home? We have had rv,s for the last 20 years but hav generally stayed within 500 miles of home.

We will be traveling in a 2017 Ram 2500 diesel and towing a 2019 OutDoors RV 24RLS. I will also be set up for dry camping.

Wayne
KA4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

A 6000 rd. trip is the very same as a 500 mi trip.... just longer. Get it out of your mind that you have 6000 miles! Break the trip up into small mini-trips and it won't seem so long. That's what we do for Alaska.

Take what you normally take on a trip. I'm sure you have your pack list refined after 20 yr. You will find stores wherever you are in case you forget something.

There are no pitfalls.

As to how many miles/hours per day..... it just depends on what you normally do and how much time you have for the whole trip. Unlimited time? Take as long as you can. How often will you do this? You might as well see all you can along the trip. Personally, we like to go no more than 300 mi/6 hr. and pull in to our stopping place by 3pm. It will still be early to relax or do a little siteseeing and have a nice meal. You'll be more refreshed than if you put in 10 hr. of driving every day. Then reservations aren't needed. Don't make a ton. There may be places you'll want to stay longer or shorter or add places or have mechanical issues or may not just feel good for driving that day. Be flexible.

The route is unlimited - just depends on what you want to see. Don't avoid the secondary highways. Getting off the interstates will allow you to see more of this beautiful country. Pay attention to weather forecasts daily and adjust as necessary.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
A 6000 rd. trip is the very same as a 500 mi trip.... just longer. Get it out of your mind that you have 6000 miles! Break the trip up into small mini-trips and it won't seem so long. That's what we do for Alaska.

Take what you normally take on a trip. I'm sure you have your pack list refined after 20 yr. You will find stores wherever you are in case you forget something.

There are no pitfalls.

As to how many miles/hours per day..... it just depends on what you normally do and how much time you have for the whole trip. Unlimited time? Take as long as you can. How often will you do this? You might as well see all you can along the trip. Personally, we like to go no more than 300 mi/6 hr. and pull in to our stopping place by 3pm. It will still be early to relax or do a little siteseeing and have a nice meal. You'll be more refreshed than if you put in 10 hr. of driving every day. Then reservations aren't needed. Don't make a ton. There may be places you'll want to stay longer or shorter or add places or have mechanical issues or may not just feel good for driving that day. Be flexible.

The route is unlimited - just depends on what you want to see. Don't avoid the secondary highways. Getting off the interstates will allow you to see more of this beautiful country. Pay attention to weather forecasts daily and adjust as necessary.
[emoji106] Just finished 10K trip to Alaska and back. This is how we did it.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Check out RV Trip Wizard to plan your epic journey. It will help you find the best route, estimate when to stop for the day and find campgrounds around the area, as well as when to stop for fuel. It can also help you estimate your expenses. There can be a bit of a learning curve, but it is well worth the effort.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Just finished an 8,000 mile trip from July through end of September. With grandkids in CA and NJ and home base in FL, I can't count how many cross country trips I've been on.

Schedule is the key. We've done 2-3 weeks trips before retirement where 15 hour driving days were the norm. Lately, I've slowed down a bit.

I use Google Maps as it gives you realtime traffic and will reroute you around any problems. Allstays is another app that I use religiously to find the next fuel stop or a boondock stop for the night.

My routine is to pick a basic final destination for the day and then pick a fuel stop that is 180 or so miles down the road. Pilot/Flying J tend to be more expensive, but you will have much more room to maneuver. I size up the truck vs. car sides as I pull in and pick accordingly.

If there's something interesting in an area, we'll research it online, check if parking is doable for the rig we're in via google maps satellite views, and head out.

And let your fatigue dictate how much you drive. Pull over and rest when your body tells you you need it!

Drive safe!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Wayne! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Secondary highways may be more interesting, but you can't beat the interstates for getting from point A to point B. Get a Next Exit book. It has all the stops off the interstates, and includes restaurants, hotels, gas stations, rest stops and campgrounds if they are close enough to the interstate.
mjd190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #8

Thank you all for the replies, suggestions and encouragement. Undoubtedly we will have our Hicks’s along the way but in the end, that is part of the adventure.
KA4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #9

You don't need much. Our first cross-country was on our Goldwing motorcycle towing a tent trailer. We too went 6,000 miles from Tucson to Key West and back the long way. We had the bare minimum of clothes, hardly any tools, and we bought food as we went. It was quite an adventure but we made it with no issues. Then we went out the next year and went to Michigan and back. We're proof you don't need much.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #10

A good credit card that will cover any unexpected things that might pop up. You can buy anything that you feel you forgot to bring. Always hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Safe travels.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA4993 View Post
My wife and I are planning an epic trip (for us anyway).

We live in far Alturas, Northern California and are planning a trip to
Virginia,
North Carolina and
Alabama (Richmond Speedway,
NASCAR Hall of Fame and Talladega)next spring.

What time of Year? Is this a Nascar only trip? You will be headed into the Rockies and possibly the SouthWest, any interest, in sites, there? You will have a lot of country between Cali and the East Coast so might look, list, think about things you would enjoy on the way? Fill us in and we can help fill in the blanks

My questions are to experienced cross country rvr’s.
What are some of the extras that we should bring with us that would come in handy on a 6,000 mile round trip?

Depends, what you are used to having - as others have suggested, think about the trip in smaller segments say 1,000 miles or less - or just between major stops. That way it is really not much different than your normal 500 mile trip away from home. Good Map Book will be of help in planning. Phone and Credit card will also help.- Spare tire might just give you a little more of a comfort zone on the trailer. Few tools, few Movies for when you have no reception - or a couple good books. Guessing you have a Generator - would be nice if it is fairly Quiet, so you and possibly others can sleep in the Heat or Cold. TP, Soap, various Glues and sticky stuff to help with the things that come loose as you drive on many of the not so smooth roads. Last and certainly not least - a Good Sense of Adventure and Humor.

What are some of the pitfalls that you have encountered?

Think the People you meet and the Beauty of the Country will leave most of the Pitfalls in the Dust, This is an Amazing Country filled with even More Amazing People, JMHO.

How many days would you normally allocate for this kind of trip, considering that we plan to make time on the way to Virginia and sight see on the way home?

We have done this Coast to Coast thing a number of times - When we were young and crazy we did it in 21 days, 8,000 miles (Gas was still $.25 a gallon) Last time think it took 120 + days (Gas was all over the board but $1.99 was average) - so it will all depend on you - there is never enough time. It's a big country and there is sooooooo much to see. If you make it to the East you need to See the Sun Rise at the Beach - and you might enjoy seeing Washington DC - it is filled with some pretty Amazing things - Smokies - seems as if you are leaving out New England - lot to see and do up North - Nascar can Keep you Busy - I will suggest you make every effort to Talk to the People you meet along the way - as you just might be amazed at what a Great Country we have.

Last we need to really Know what you would enjoy and the time of Year you will be traveling - and the TIME you have set aside to do this trip - as it is a REALLY BIG COUNTRY.

We have had rv,s for the last 20 years but have generally stayed within 500 miles of home.

If you have been doing this in and Around Cali you will have little problem with the rest of the Country as it is For the most part much easier than Cali. Keep in mind that the Major attractions will likely have Major Crowds in the Summer so they may require some planning.

We will be traveling in a 2017 Ram 2500 diesel and towing a 2019 OutDoors RV 24RLS.

So the equipment is still almost New and much of that part of the Adventure (Worrying about the equipment) is negligible - as long as you are familiar with your limits and just stay comfortable - we have always found Wal*Mart to be our friend as we travel from "A" to "B" - allows us to resupply and get in to sleep Late and get out to go Early, so keep that in mind for those longer days, when you are just making time.

I will also be set up for dry camping.

The Dry Camping is critical for a freelance journey like this as, you will find that this RV'ing thing has gotten pretty popular - especially in the Summer. We Dry Camp often - this requires you keep the Fresh Water filled and the Black and Grey Tanks dumped as you never know when that one night might turn into a week.

Wayne
Last couple notes here - Good Clothes - Good Boots - Good Floppy Hat - Good SunGlasses - Layers for Rain and some cooler spots at altitude (If Summer) Don't need to start with Too Much as you can and Will likely pick up a lot along the way - Amazon delivers all over the country - so even hard to find things can make it to you. Take three pictures every time you think one will do - might even try your hand at a journal, as this sounds as it it might be an Epic trip.

Hope this is what you were after, Best of Luck,

MAP - https://binged.it/35ELq8a
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #12

Good tires, and balanced too. If the trailer came with way off brand, I'd be inclined to put a set of Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle Radial Trail HT. Keep the others for spares, throw a couple in the back of the truck. In the heat of the summer, that long of a trip, something is gonna happen.

Charles