Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:32 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

One way to avoid I-95 in Baltimore and D.C. is to take 695 (beltway) east around Baltimore, cross the Francis Scott Key Bridge, then take Routes 97-3-301 south through Crofton, LaPlata and into Virginia. In Port Royal you can turn left to Route 17 or continue to near Richmond to 295 and 64. There's stop-and-go traffic on Route 301 in Maryland, but the Virginia portion is relaxing driving.

2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Route 2 then

Originally Posted by OLD1SGT View Post
We take 84 to 81 to 77

Then in Charlotte 26 or 74 to 501 into Myrtle Beach. For my money this is the route. It avoids all the traffic and delays of NYC, Baltimore and Washington DC metro area, and other than deer in the early AM it is a beautiful drive. I did it (in reverse) the second week of April and other than a few minutes delay in CT and NY it was smooth sailing. All the construction is nothing compared to the traffic on 95! We live on Cape Cod so unless we go north to Maine we go this route (and have been for years) until we get to 84 in PA where we can go west as required. One other benefit, other than the bridge, there are no tolls. I stay away from 95 until I can't avoid it. We are even taking this route (although staying on 84 until we get to TN and 40) in December to get to LA for the Rose Parade.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by TheBelchers View Post
We are gonna try to leave about 5 am to avoid rush hour and will go rt 2 to 84 ....most likely head to happen zee bridge and then njtp i would like to jump off and use rt 295 to save a little cash.....go over delaware men bridge....use rt 695 to go around baltimore.( I've read there are many restrictions on propane and vehicles in baltimore) Once we clear DC everything looks pretty smooth......
Sometimes 5am will work, though I-84 can backup pretty good in the AM as well as Tappan Zee/I-287 until 9-10am could be stop-go.

Honestly, run the mileage and compare to I-84 to I-81 to I-66 to Rt 17. This picks up I-95 in Fredericksburg, VA. I just looked on Google Maps, there is a 20 minute difference and 60 miles instead of I-684, I-287, I-95 (with drive arounds in Baltimore and DC). No tolls. Generally less traffic and headaches. Get NJ cheap gas at NY/PA border.

What is your destination?
Rich & Michelle
2014 Journey 42E
Chip & Dale, our kitties
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Escaping New England!

Destination is myrtle beach then on to ft wilderness I ll chk out the rts suggested. Can't wait to go. Raining here for what seems like forever. Glad I bought an ark!!!! I mean rv 😀
TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Here's a route we've taken twice and like, partly because it has less tolls going south and is not as far out of the way as the I84-I81-US17 route which we've taken many times. Most of this route is suggested by Google when selecting "Avoid Tolls" when routing.

By leaving about 6 to 7PM we avoid most of the traffic delays around NYC. We take I84 to I684 to I287 around White Plains, cross the Tappan Zee bridge (no Toll going west), I287 has one toll where it is the Thruway. We tend to drive to 1 or 2AM so we can get past NYC and onto US202 the first night. We usually get gas off US202, there are a couple of stations that don't charge more for credit cards.

Get off I287 at US202 around Bridgwater, NJ and take that to NJ31 to I95. There you can get to I295 but we go thru Philly on I95 and avoid the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll. We've done this on a Saturday and Sunday morning with no issues.

Take I95 to DE1, just after the big bridge get off on exit 148 just before the toll and take Lorewood Grove Rd and a couple of other local roads to US301 South. Take US301 to MD295/I295 Baltimore/Washington Parkway (again no toll on the US301 bridge by Annapolis going west) to I395 around DC (as above weekend traffic has not been bad), then I95 to points south.

Note Google will try to take you on a local road with a no trucks sign in NJ to cut the corner on NJ31, I avoided it the first time but went down it the second, it was no problem, narrow like some of the local roads we have around here but much straighter. Also Lorewood Grove Rd is signed for no trucks, same thing there, it was no issue for me.

If you don't like narrow roads or don't like taking roads marked no trucks you can continue down I95 to US301, except there are a lot more traffic signals on that stretch (BTDT, Google routes you that way on the way back as you can't take the Lorewood Grove Rd directly to DE1 North).

This takes some non-interstate roads with traffic lights and about an hour longer than going all toll roads and taking the GW Bridge, but is a lot less stressful and more enjoyable drive, at least to us.

BTW, the GW Bridge going south (west) is free also, but going north (east) it costs $68 for our coach with a toad! Some of the toll bridges on the I95 route are high also, in the $25 range.

Another route to try is to take the Garden State Parkway from I287 to either US1 or the NJ Turnpike (we've done both). It takes only about 1/2 to 3/4 hour more but does not avoid the toll on the Delaware Memorial bridge. You still can choose to take US301 around Baltimore and part of DC.

If you do choose the GSP, there are some low clearances around where it intersects with I95 but if you stay in the middle lanes you'll be fine. There are whole threads in this forum (here's one) on using the GSP. We've used the GSP for many years in various RV's including the current 12'6" high one without an issue.

Another note, if you don't have an EZ Pass for the RV, get one. We always use the EZ Pass lanes and never had an issue with tolls.

NYS offers an EZ Pass that gets you the car rate on the Thruway, it's a huge savings if you use the Thruway much. You just have to send or FAX in a copy of your MH registration and they give it to you. A side benefit is the Pike charges us like a car as well if we're not towing the toad.

Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote