Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Eureka to Redding CA?

We are currently heading south on Hwy 101 and it looks like the weather is deteriorating over the next week or so.

For that reason we may look to go a bit east from Eureka, and that could take us via Hwy 299 to Redding or via Hwy 36 to Rad Bluff.

Are these roads suitable for a big rig with a toad?

Thank you for your advice

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have traveled both roads. Hwy 299 is your best choice, O.K. for big rigs. Hwy 36 is longer an slower to travel not many 2 lanes on your side of the Hwy., not as friendly as 299. Good luck on your choice.

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

We traveled from Redding to Eureka last Saturday on 299 in our 38 ft motorhome. Expect long, steep ascents and descents, narrow areas and a few construction zones. Doable but not fun. Avoid hwy 36. It is much better suited to motorcycles! We prefer to stay on 101 south to the Willits area before heading east on hwy 20. Hope this helps! Safe travels.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

I agree with the others. I've done 299 both directions in a 40 MH with toad. Doable but not fun. I was told by locals not to take 36.

Take it slow and use the pull outs.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
A few years ago we drove from Redding to Eureka on 299 in our 45 ft. plus toad. It is a fairly easy drive.

Of course, I consider a difficult drive in the motor home to be Hwy 1 going south out of SF, or the million dollar highway from Ouray climbing up to Silverton.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #6

Don't take 36. Take 299. Im from Eureka, and have property on 36
I love driving up 36 on my motorcycle or pickup, but I wouldn't tow anything larger than a 20 footer up there.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks guy's

Hwy 36 is definately out of the equation. Still undecided on wether to take hwy 299 or continue a while on hwy 101 as both looks good after reading your advise. We may check the forecast on the day we leave and let the weather decide.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

"Red Bluff RV Park"

Danes-

I know you did not ask but since you are headed that way check out the "Red Bluff RV Park". We always stop there for a day or two when north or southbound on I-5. Clean, quiet (a few blocks away from the Interstate), nice people, large grassy sites with pads, well kept pool and washrooms. Very nice. Adequate fuel, shopping and dining in Red Bluff without the hurry of Redding.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #9

36 is fine for skilled drivers. Not so good for the typical driver. Have a nice trip.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #10

Hwy 299 is a cake walk today compared to what it was a few years back. There are a couple of relatively steep pulls but nothing that can't be taken slowly and enjoyed.

Weaverville is a great place to stop and enjoy the historical sights?

Whichever way you decide to go stay off Hwy 36 with a big motorhome. The comments of others saying it was good for a motorcycle is true.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #11

The question of 299 vs 36 comes up so often that last time we were in the area, I intended to take a picture of the sign posted on the freeway advising against large vehicles using 36. I've used 299 from Redding to Eureka many times. It is RV friendly. For me, it is a full day's drive. Redding has many nice RV parks as does Anderson further south. If you choose to stay in Red Bluff, Durango RV Resort is stunning. I highly recommend the pizza place very close to the park.

Your next plus to leave the coastal area is Highway 20 heading past Clear Lake over to I-5. Also RV friendly. Either way, you have to cross the Coastal Range. 299 is a prettier drive, but that first grade out of Eureka is steeper than anything I remember on 20.