Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Everglades Area - Suggestions

Sandee wants to go down to the "Everglades" for 4-5 days to take some airboat and other tours. Frankly, I don't know too much about the area and I know it is HUGE.

My first thought was to locate a place somewhere south of Naples and avoid the east side. That would be an fairly easy 4 hour drive from Lakeland, FL. We wold probably make this trip in the next 2 weeks.

OK folks...any suggestions for activities and RV parks/resorts for a 43' MH?

As always...THANKS IN ADVANCE
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

There are several airboat tours to e found along U.S. 41 (Tamiami Trail). There is one just west if Big Cypress National Preserve, and several east of the preserve. There are also some out of Everglades City.

The Trail Lakes Campground is on U.S. 41, within the preserve, near the town of Ochopee. It is old, but nicely kept up, with unusually large sites for a commercial campground. They also have a s,all zoo of native animals. See

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Take your best misquito spray Don, we crossed on r 41 in late Oct. they were really bad! We seen these campground's passing through going to Ft Myers.
Big Cypress National Preserve - Midway Campground - Everglades City, FL - RV Park Reviews

Trail Lakes Campground - Ochopee, FL - RV Park Reviews

Everglades Isle - Everglades City, FL - RV Park Reviews

Barron River RV Park & Marina Villas - Everglades City, FL - RV Park Reviews

Outdoor Resorts of Chokoloskee - Chokoloskee Island, FL - RV Park Reviews

Chokoloskee Island Park Campground - Chokoloskee Island, FL - RV Park Reviews

Hope this helps ya out.......
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

We have been there many times in Jan. & Feb., and have never been bothered y mosquitos.

The campgrounds in Chokoloskee and Everglades City tend to be overly expensive, and the sites are rather cramped.

Joel
Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at the Federal Park in Flamingo a few years back. We rented a cottage right on the water. The mosquitoes were HORRIBLE! Also the No See Ems bit my Wife's ankles till they were swollen!

There didn't seem to be any problems during the day if you did not walk in the grass, but when the sun went down......................
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

Facility Details - Midway Campground, FL - Recreation.gov

Florida Everglades Campground and Cabins | Old Florida Everglades Camping and Cabins

Midway is electricity at site only; Trail Lakes is rather rustic but is w/e.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Somebody mentioned camping at Flamingo. i haven't checked recently, but as of last week, much of the campground was closed due to flooding. Also, that is one area that tends to have a mosquito problem even in the winter.

BTW, I will be camped at Monument Lake (Big Cypress National Preserve), site #4 from 1/13 through 1/17, stop by and say hello.

Joel
Old 01-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

If you can find an appropriate sized space in Collier-Seminole, that will work out as a good stay over, otherwise, Everglades City/Chokoloskee will be an option at the commercial cg's. Stop at the Info Center on US 412 in Carnestown for ideas. Corrie Billie's airboats are right outside the Collier-Seminole park and he offers a pretty good tour. Shark Valley makes for a nice walking/tram tour. I also suggest driving your toad down loop road. When you get on it, there may or may not be a sign saying local traffic only-- well that's all there is as it loops from US 41 back to US 41. Outstanding scenery. It is a bit scary as the road doesn't look too good, but you'll have no problems. Another interesting drive on Scenic Drive-- at Carnestown, turn north and go till you see Scenic drive on the left.... you'll see gators and may panthers. The boardwalk at Big Cypress (right on US41) is a nice walk into the "swamp". There are many kayaking/canoe areas if you are so inclined. I personally haven't had issues with bugs in Jan/Feb... but with our weird weather this year, who knows. I was just outside and the lovebugs were all over the place. That shouldn't happen till April. Oh yeah, stop at Stans' bar in Goodland on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon .... big party !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

I will suggest to you one place NOT to visit: Billie Swamp Safari. We first visited this place in 2005, great place, lots to see and very fast air-boat rides. FF to 2014; place run-down, not many animal exhibits but lots of empty cages, air-boat ride was slow and uninteresting due to low water and very few alligators to see during the ride.
Just North of Ft. Myers are lots of lakes offering air-boat rides, with lots of gators to photograph.
Now if you wish to drive further South, on US 41, close to the center of the state are several air-boat rides advertised, some with camping facilities or large parking lots. You'll need to look at the FL tourism website to locate them, as I've forgotten everything else.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all!

After calling around to a few places "in" the Everglades that were suggested, I could only find a couple could that had sites big enough to hold us but they were booked. The one place that I thought would work was the Outdoor Resorts of Chokoloskee but after showing Sandee the location she decided for us to be closer to Naples. She is a tad more city than country. LOL

So...finding a place that we could find for 4 nights in the time frame we had available but we went with the KOA. (YA...I know. ) However, that will give us a fairly easy drive for a couple days down to the Everglades City/Chokoloskee area to get in some of those attractions. Of course, we may find some other good ones closer to Naples.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote