Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2005, 03:57 AM   #1

Maybe I should have just stayed home. We went from Rockville out to Romney WV this weekend and stayed at the campground we had rented a monthly spot in this summer. The trip out went well and I got the new MH setup on our spot pretty easy even though it is on a fairly good slope. I move on to sat dish assembly when the CG owner stops by and asks if I wanted to pay for the weekend since our rent had ended on the 16th. There was $42.40 I hadn't counted on. I thought we were paid through the end of the month. Pay that, and finish up with the dish. All is well till Saturday afternoon. I head over to our property in Springfield to grab some firewood for the evening. When I get back the awning had worked itself a little loose so I went ahead and snug everything back up and head in for a bite to eat before splitting the wood. BIG MISTAKE. I should have just rolled the awning up and been done with it. About 5 minutes after I head inside here comes a gust of wind that snaps the cast aluminum end of the rear rafter arm. The rear support comes completely apart and the front arm gets extended as far as the last hole, and rips the awning for about a foot in the front where the awning mounts to the MH. At least I could still roll the awning up for transport, but I'm still kicking myself for not just putting it up when I got back to camp.
I knew I had to stop on the way home for gas so I went back the way I came in and spotted regular for $2.29. $106 later I'm back on the road. I actually think that's not that bad. Running through the hills of WV it looks like I'm getting 8.2 mpg and most of that was with 2/3 a tank of fresh water. Today I get to call the dealer service dept and see if I can just replace the end on the rafter arm and material or if the whole thing needs replaced.

DW
NDBBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2005, 03:57 AM   #2

Maybe I should have just stayed home. We went from Rockville out to Romney WV this weekend and stayed at the campground we had rented a monthly spot in this summer. The trip out went well and I got the new MH setup on our spot pretty easy even though it is on a fairly good slope. I move on to sat dish assembly when the CG owner stops by and asks if I wanted to pay for the weekend since our rent had ended on the 16th. There was $42.40 I hadn't counted on. I thought we were paid through the end of the month. Pay that, and finish up with the dish. All is well till Saturday afternoon. I head over to our property in Springfield to grab some firewood for the evening. When I get back the awning had worked itself a little loose so I went ahead and snug everything back up and head in for a bite to eat before splitting the wood. BIG MISTAKE. I should have just rolled the awning up and been done with it. About 5 minutes after I head inside here comes a gust of wind that snaps the cast aluminum end of the rear rafter arm. The rear support comes completely apart and the front arm gets extended as far as the last hole, and rips the awning for about a foot in the front where the awning mounts to the MH. At least I could still roll the awning up for transport, but I'm still kicking myself for not just putting it up when I got back to camp.
I knew I had to stop on the way home for gas so I went back the way I came in and spotted regular for $2.29. $106 later I'm back on the road. I actually think that's not that bad. Running through the hills of WV it looks like I'm getting 8.2 mpg and most of that was with 2/3 a tank of fresh water. Today I get to call the dealer service dept and see if I can just replace the end on the rafter arm and material or if the whole thing needs replaced.

DW
NDBBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glenn:

Sorry to hear about your awning. I've owned three travel trailers and two motorhomes and I've learned that awnings are not to be trusted when there is wind. Some breezy conditions are OK and you need to get some rachet tie downs to secure the arms. Now the newer automatic awnings are supposed to retract automatically in wind and rain but I have no experience with them.

I deployed the awning on a new TT some years ago, went to launch my boat, and a fast moving thunderstorm destroyed my awning (hardware and fabric) within 2 minutes.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #4

Noticed your from Smith Mountain Lake. The wife and I went there a few years back. Great Area. We went in the fall and located a CG on the net. The place we located was really the pitts. But the next day went to the visitors center there and they refered us to Crazy Horse CG. Nice place. The lake etc are really nice but there are few CG's in the area. We where considering this place for a retirement location. Do you like the area? Would you consider it to be suitable for retirees?
Thanks
Miles
Old 11-25-2005, 01:38 AM   #5

Since we are workampers we have been at RV parks in numerous parts of the country. One of the most common things is people leaving their awnings out while away and a wind comes up. Their awnings are long gone. Ours is automatic but it comes in at the slightest breeze. I think that is better than letting it get ruined.
Sissy7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #6

Sorry to hear about your awning damage. I too just had some damage, got caught in a wind storm with winds of 60 mph. Have you checked with your insurance company? Mine was covered except for the deductable, and without hassell. Good luck.